Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Turbofrog

The New Apple Ipad

Can anyone help me here with some info. I would really like to know , who really designed and built the ipad along other Apple products. By designed- i don`t mean who sketched the board with chrome rims.I mean who( names of companies) actually designs and builds the screen for Apple, who provides chips, connectors, etc. I would also like to know who actually produces the workbenches and stamping devices for Apple components. thanks in advance!

Can anyone help me here with some info. I would really like to know , who really designed and built the ipad along other Apple products. By designed- i don`t mean who sketched the board with chrome rims.I mean who( names of companies) actually designs and builds the screen for Apple, who provides chips, connectors, etc. I would also like to know who actually produces the workbenches and stamping devices for Apple components. thanks in advance!

You aren't looking for the word design - you're looking for the word vendors. Apple products are designed and engineered by Apple in the US using components from their vendors. They aren't designing the display itself, but they are designing the boards and software that integrates everything.

I don't think anyone has ever shown the iPad supply chain - Apple uses a lot of companies and has actually purchased several companies (including a display vendor) so that they own the majority of their supply chain. Several components can be sourced from multiple companies though, since Apples demands are so high one vendor often can't provide everything. Here is an old graphic showing the vendors for the iphone:

362225946_2a96460d3c.jpg

The majority of the chips are designed and built in the US, other components built in Taiwan, with final assembly in China.

This teardown shows the locations and companies of most of the internals.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Teardown/2183/1

Who builds their workbenches? You won't find that one out unless you want to go to China and break into a factory.

Thanks, that was insightful. I wonder, does Apple do the blueprints and then send it to vendors to build them, or they simply give specifications like- `we want the chip be cool and have a 12 v , something like that`.

Thanks, that was insightful. I wonder, does Apple do the blueprints and then send it to vendors to build them, or they simply give specifications like- `we want the chip be cool and have a 12 v , something like that`.

There is no such thing as blue prints anymore - everything is designed digitally. Apple is not designing the individual circuits, in the case of the iPad most of the components are designed by Samsung. (Same way your computer processor is designed by Intel or AMD, not Dell or IBM). The demands on Apples behalf are much more complex then "it should use this much power and use this voltage". If you look at the processor teardown:

http://www.chipworks.com/Apple-iPAD-Teardown.aspx

You can see that theres over 20 main processors in the iPad for everything from the RF, video, audio, power management, accelerometers, etc. If you think about the individual complexity of any one of those components you can see why it does not make sense for every company that makes a wi-fi device to design their own circuitry, again much like how your PC only has options for video cards from 1 of 2 primary manufacturers (Nvidia and AMD)

A company like Apple will work with the vendors to a long list of demands for the components. Apple engineers take those components and design them all into the system. They are designing the circuit boards, the RF antennas (cleverly hidden behind the plastic apple on the back cover of the Ipad since the all metal housing interferes with the RF performance).

Mechanical engineers take all of the systems developed by the electrical engineers and package it into a design courtesy of ID. Once this assembly is created you have your product which is then sent to the manufacturing vendors who build the housings, circuit boards, and ship it all off to China to be assembled and shipped back.

That's pretty much the model for any product manufacturer.

Yepp, that`s what I suspected. Most of circuitry is probably of non-us origin. One thing is to outsource final assembly of your own designed components, outsourcing the whole desigining process to a foreign company is a different story. I surmise that screen was probably designed and built by Sharp, although I don`t know that. Could we draw parallels to car industry? For example, if we tore down Ford Fusion, we would end up with Mazda 2.3 engine, mazda 6 platform, suspension pieces, Japanese Aisin gearbox, etc.

I wonder, if you tore down a japanese hi- fi system or say, Sony, digital camera, or DVD player, would you also find that itis composed of mostly non-japanese vendor built components? My hunch tells that NOT! My belief is that expertize is the cradle of middle class, once you outsource that, you outsource your own chickhen that lays golden eggs. That`s why japan is virtually buidling everytihng in consumer electronics, they preserve their expertize. Simply watch how Sony is buiding their own Vaio screens or lately even their own high quality lenses for alpha series cameras. Imagine if there was a rule- ` The brand name of the product that states the origin of the company manufacturer should contain at least 51% of their own engineering input measured in labour hours. If engineering input is below 51%, the other companies that took part in engineering should be clearly stated on the product with their logos visible. The origin of the product should be traced to the company that has at least 51% of the engineering input, irregardless of its assembly place, or where the company is based.` Wouldn`t that be funny?:)))

Guest Taro

completely not true.

There are too much to deal with to make your own parts, i mean like every single parts. It just costs too much, and you are just going to end up with the same product with different branding.

Alot of the stuff you asked, you can just google it or something.

But the japanese thing, not true. We took apart a broken sony psp in class last term, and the only sony made thing is the case and the battery.

Yepp, that`s what I suspected. Most of circuitry is probably of non-us origin. One thing is to outsource final assembly of your own designed components, outsourcing the whole desigining process to a foreign company is a different story. I surmise that screen was probably designed and built by Sharp, although I don`t know that. Could we draw parallels to car industry? For example, if we tore down Ford Fusion, we would end up with Mazda 2.3 engine, mazda 6 platform, suspension pieces, Japanese Aisin gearbox, etc.

I wonder, if you tore down a japanese hi- fi system or say, Sony, digital camera, or DVD player, would you also find that itis composed of mostly non-japanese vendor built components? My hunch tells that NOT! My belief is that expertize is the cradle of middle class, once you outsource that, you outsource your own chickhen that lays golden eggs. That`s why japan is virtually buidling everytihng in consumer electronics, they preserve their expertize. Simply watch how Sony is buiding their own Vaio screens or lately even their own high quality lenses for alpha series cameras. Imagine if there was a rule- ` The brand name of the product that states the origin of the company manufacturer should contain at least 51% of their own engineering input measured in labour hours. If engineering input is below 51%, the other companies that took part in engineering should be clearly stated on the product with their logos visible. The origin of the product should be traced to the company that has at least 51% of the engineering input, irregardless of its assembly place, or where the company is based.` Wouldn`t that be funny?:blink:))

LOL, I was hoping you were actually being humble for once and learning - but again you jumped into one of your rants.

I'm sorry dude but you are wrong - it is simple as that.

Open up your holy Japanese Playstation 3 for example.

(Here let me help you with that http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation...eardown/1121/4)

Inside you'll find a processor designed jointly by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba. Sony flat out didn't have the internal expertise for a CPU that complex so it was done by working with outside companies. The PS3 GPU? Designed in America by Nvidia. You'll find a wifi bridge designed by Marvell, an HDMI unit by Panasonic, and even a little love from Samsung.

The reality is - what ever "perceptions" you have of how products are manufactured in "Japan" are wrong.

Once again you need to stop with your baseless tirades and read a book on globalization. There's a reason Apple is a computer manufacturer and not a circuit designer, and there's a reason Intel doesn't build laptops. The only reason you see certain companies keeping more manufacturing internal and that's because they're incredibly large conglomerates like Samsung that don't have to obey by the same laws as US corporations. There's a reason Microsoft can't go out and buy Intel, and Dell, and IBM all at once and just become the worlds largest corporation and then everything would be designed "in house". In house design means nothing when your company has facilities all over the world and hundreds of thousands of employees.

So feel free to respond with another rant based on your own Borat politics and made up information instead of trying to point out how so many companies are doing it wrong and the Japanese are doing everything right.

I must be paranoic and blind. Whenever i look around at consumer electronics, or mostly anything that has tiny movements and mechanisms, has to do with japanese companies. There is a plethora of digital camera manufacturers. Take a closer look, whenever you check who is manufacturing the lense, it is always the same company, that makes the camera, at least if it is a japanese one. Nikon- nikkor, Canon- canon lense, etc. The exception would be Sony that is a rookie in Camera market, so they have some segments with imported lenses. The only big US company alive in this segment is Kodak, it is also the only one that doesn`t make pro cameras, and tries to use Schneider lenses for bigger zooms. Polaroid and Vivitar actually don`t make any cameras, they have sold their badges to Asian companies, who design and built cameras.

I could virtually cover any segment in consumer electronics and the pattern would be the same, whether it is TV manufacturing, hi-fi systems, wristwatches etc. It is always an abundancy of Japanese companies, and scarcity of US ones. For exampe there are a lot of modern bike mnufacturers from Japan, and there was only one from US, Buell, which went bust last year. I feel sorry for Erik Buell.

Have you seen a wristwatch which would say on a wristwatch` US movement`? Never. Seems that virtually every US movement/mechanism manufacturer goes bust.How many japanese car manufacturers or electronic giants have gone bust in last century?

I even won`t cover car industry where virtually every Us company is based on foeign platforms and components. Modern trucks? Nope. Modern trains, nope. Industrial stamping and workbenches, barely left.

I havent opened a playstation, but I believe that Sony has a lot of products where most of components are their own expertize.I also believe , that it doesn`t matter if you outsource, what matters is if you outsource the job to a compnay from your own country, leaving the work place in your country.

My point is not ranting, all I wanted is you could help out to find the reasons, why does it happen so.I believe it is crucial to keep labour intensive manufacturing at home, otherwise, will all the engineers simply fly and work to Asia or change qualification?

So the original story was IPad, I wonder how many jobs does I pad create in US , to say, versus Sony Viega in Japan? No ranting, simple discussion on product teardown origin.Besides, I am not a fervent supporter of exactly japanses products, but i appreciate their expertize that is actually ...japanese. I also see how south korea is going the same path. Germans as well.You buy a Samsung camera, and whoola, it has a Samsung lense.An Lg refrigerator? Yepp, built by LG. A Hyundai car? Yepp, korean platform, engines, transmissions, etc.

So what is the original reason for extreme outsourcing within US?( besides, all of this is my opinion, and not necessarily fact.) I am just curious, not attacking!

Guest Taro

Japanese products are popular because of 3 simple things:

1. Insane advertisement, graphic design. If you go to Japan, you'll basically want to buy everything there because the package make the product inside looks like its godly.

2. Consistent quality, versus many other countries companies, some Japanese companies are better at maintaining a high level of design, function, and advertisement.

3. Last but the most important, the thoughts of the people these days. No offense to anyone, but there are many people just like you that assumes Japanese products are way better than others before doing any research. In fact, majority of the world thinks the same thing. I agree that their products are really nice, but it is not at all due to how they don't outsource their stuff(because they do).

And you have to know that, Japanese are probably among all other countries, the one that outsources alot. The world are outsourcing their stuff from China, everything is built there.

All Sony is doing is designing and inventing new technologies in their Japanese studios, and let the factories in China make them. Why? Why is the world doing this? Because if you were to hire one worker in Japan to do all those detailed stuff, you can probably hire 5 in China. (no offense to anything again)

Search it up, there are tons of stuff out there to look at.

Taro- japanese products are popular for the following reasons-

1. Constantly high quality.( assembly, fit -and finish, texture, reliability).(Expertize held within Japan.)

2. Extremely large diversity of products( all possible segments in consumer electronics covered).

3. Extremely large amount of local( japanese)companies competing against each other within japan and outside.

4. Short product overhaul cycles( effective distrbution of R&D funds).

Us consumer manufacturing is absolute opposite of the above mentioned.

Yeah stupid US companies. Apple only posted a $3 billion dollar profit last quarter.

Love how quickly it went from talking about circuits (because Apple, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, IBM, Dell, etc are all Japanese companies) to the car industry to cameras.