Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Playdo

Best Solution For Portable Digital Sketchbook?

I was hoping that the Apple IPad would make a perfect portable digital sketchbook but from what I gather I'm not too sure. It runs the IPhone OS which has Sketchbook Pro Mobile, no Photoshop, and there is no stylus at present.

I don't know much about what is on the market so what's the best solution purely for a portable digital sketchbook with Photoshop and Sketchbook pro?

It's tough right now. The tablet PC market has really fallen apart and while it is still the only real choice for a digital sketchbook, there are fewer large models and less of a push towards new models.

Perhaps the Ipad with a capacitive stylus could be viable, but even that lacks the pressure sensitivity that a Wacom digitizer has.

Pen and paper on the road is still the way to go.

The 12" Cintiq is not portable. The tablet itself is small, but it comes with a converter box that requires the AC power, USB + Video which means you'll have a snake of wires + your laptop. It might be "mobile" but definatey not usable on the go.

I've just been looking at the HP Slate and the Microsoft Courier. It'll be interesting to see what comes of them though the Courier looks like it will have a split screen so may be too small for serious sketching.

Guest Bowl of Soup

I run a 12" HP pavilion tx 2000 that I bought a year or so ago. Has a built in wacom. Installed a lot of apps, but ultimately CS2/3 lags when I use the tablet, it lags worse than my PC (which also lags a bit in photoshop). And I now sketch mostly on paper still : (

Although, it may be useable for what you want, maybe it was just a vista/photoshop thing, maybe a lighter app would work better for a tablet PC.

Cheers.

Personally, I would trawl the used tablet PC market on eBay.

About 3 years ago I bought a Toshiba R15 for ~$600 USD, and while it no longer works on battery power, it's been a fantastic tool. It's my only laptop, so I appreciate the portable form factor, but if you're primarily looking for a tool for sketching on the go, the Motion LE1700 slate tablet is probably your best bet. Compact (high quality 12.1" screen) and light, but it has a modern processor (Core 2 Duo). It won't be super fast, but for sketching it should be more than adequate.

Interesting stuff. I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see what comes of the new tablets this year. There seems to be a load on the horizon so it should be interesting.