Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shane Michael Donohoe

New To Design, Help With Software Needed

Im a first year Product Design student and im just starting to find my feet as regards inspiration and ideas etc.

I was wondering if you guys could help by suggesting software i could use for rendering, sketching and CG building my ideas, and where i can find it.

Any help is very much appreciated

Hi Shane,

Start by looking at the difference between parametric solid modelers and surface modelers. Pro E, Solidworks and Inventor are commonly used software for design/manufacture. Rhino + Alias Studio are surfacers so are good for design. Then there's poly modeling software; 3ds max, maya, modo etc. These can be good for visualisation but lack precision that product design requires. There's a long thread about software somewhere on this forum (or maybe id.sketching.com).

For sketching - paper + pen, Photoshop (or Sketchbook Pro), possibly Illustrator.

For rendering - depends what modeling software you use but you can export the model out to a different program for rendering if required. Lots of IDers seem to be going to hypershot at the mo due to its speed and simplicity. Though there's VRay, MentalRay, Maxwell ...

Hi Shane,

Start by looking at the difference between parametric solid modelers and surface modelers. Pro E, Solidworks and Inventor are commonly used software for design/manufacture. Rhino + Alias Studio are surfacers so are good for design. Then there's poly modeling software; 3ds max, maya, modo etc. These can be good for visualisation but lack precision that product design requires. There's a long thread about software somewhere on this forum (or maybe id.sketching.com).

For sketching - paper + pen, Photoshop (or Sketchbook Pro), possibly Illustrator.

For rendering - depends what modeling software you use but you can export the model out to a different program for rendering if required. Lots of IDers seem to be going to hypershot at the mo due to its speed and simplicity. Though there's VRay, MentalRay, Maxwell ...

Brilliant. Thanks very much for that.