Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
roelontwerpt

High Speed Train

Guest Buff

I love the idea. I think it's brilliant. Sure it SOUNDS CRAZY, but there was once a time when people claimed that traveling on a train at 50kph would result in certain death and there was once a time when the best brains in the world thought the earth was flat.

Now the concept exists, it's just up to engineers to make it work.

stage 1, make basic animations to demonstrate concept

stage 2, raise money

stage 3, make advanced animations

stage 4, raise money

stage 5, build working model

stage 6, raise money

stage 7, Research, development, design, engineering

stage 8, raise money

stage 9, build prototype and test track

stage 10, raise money

keep doing this until you have about $30bn and you might just be allowed to build it in some fast developing middle eastern/far eastern country.

So we can see, the real obsticale to making this happen is not the crazy idea or saftey issues to overcome... that meare problem solving... the difficulty is rasing cash

btw. I think you're aiming too low... the transfare should be done at 500kph :-)

ALL of the percived problems will have conceptually simple solutions and very complex details to make them work.

IIRC someone once said that the Airbus A380 wouldn't work!

I have been told many times that my ideas won't work... I've had to spend my own money proving they will, and they have. Which is pretty fortunate as I really needed my money back ;-)

Guest csven

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

There you go. Taiwanese inventor. Read more here: http://technabob.com/blog/2008/06/17/train...ithout-stopping

Google is your friend. So is the USPTO.gov website.

{Wish the YouTube button would say to paste the embed code instead of the video ID}

Now I like that YouTube clip - it is a much better solution - not a huge increase in infrastructure, the transfer takes place on the moving train (so no matching of speeds). Only thing that might be a bit uncomfortable is going from zero to 300km/h in the length of the train.....

Guest Buff

lol, indeed. the velocity wont hurt, but the acceleration my be a little harder to cope with

Thanks for all your replies. thinking about it and reading makes me think that the initial solution was not the most optimal, but I am still convinced that a solution in that direction could really shorten the train trip times. Looking at the youtube clip makes me understand why everybody is so concerned about the safety B) but I must say I really like it!

Guest PEDROBRAS

I THINK IT MIGHT WORK, BUT I ALSO THINS THAT PEOPLE ARE GOING TO GET A BIT DESPERATE WHEN THE LOADING WAGON IS ABOUT TO DETACH OF THE MAIN TRAIN...HAHAHA...

I GUESS THERE WOULD BE A LOT OF MISSED TRIPS

Guest j2k413

"I believe there is a Japanese company already working on a similar concept in which the train doesn't stop at the station, it slows and passengers embark/debark via an intermediary vehicle."

We can use the concept of landing an aircraft on a. aircraft carrier.

Say there is a pod on the train for an earmarked station. As the station approaches the train slows down to a certain speed and this pod is lifted up from the train. The pod has a docking mechanism on top of akin to the hook in the aircraft and there is an arrester at the station.

As the pod docks it starts pulling the arrester along with it. Say it moves X distance during which the pod is disengaged from the train.

Now the track starts sloping down as it moves away from the station. In this way the main train moves downwards while the pod moves in the forward direction. It disengages completely. The arrester slows down and the passengers disembark.

Guest Wiesenlooser

That is just an insane idea. Do I get it right that the other vehicle sort of connects while the Train is driving under it? At high speed?

If there is a problem with the mechanics and the vehicle doesn't connect properly it will get thrown off.... :)

Guest Sturmer

I think it would be a really hard thing to made and synchronize to safety standards. But there is really no other issue at hand. You can use the carriages as separated modules that, can be conveyed to the second train that is at the same speed as the "faster" train, and this would do fully automatic systems on the given part of the track just for that purpose. If you ask me fully plausible design, extremely complex and pricey - yes.

PS. We all like to travel to our holidays to see the landscape but when i have to work , and go off-site for me is really nightmare to lose 5-10 hours just to watch scenery...

You get kudos for this design from me :P

What happens when the number of people wanting to get off the train exceeds the available limit of the intermediary vehicle? They'd either have to be really big or tailored per journey based on the tickets sold for that trip, with the addition of any open tickets.

Also all the really boring technical "That's impossible" talk from everyone else: He's not an engineer, but you throw enough money at a problem and they'll give you a solution).

PS: What colour would it be? I suggest silver, like a fox ^^