Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Another_Nocturn

Alternatives To (the Now Dead?) Hypershot...

Guest Another_Nocturn
Think I'll give the Modo trial a shot this weekend. Never played around with it and from their site it looks like they have some pretty good studio type setups available which is key for me.

Yeah, the SLIK presets are getting great reviews among the die-hard users. Ive also been eyeballing the Pad presets too for product renderings. If your going to download the demo, I recommend anteing up the 25 dollars and getting the Demo + Bee tutorial. Its very thorough and a good overview of the different tools.

Spent all day playing around with it...the rendering engine definitely seems to perform very nicely in terms of speed/quality though so far I've spent most of my time trying to figure out the best workflow for data translation (Even with ultra high tesselation settings I'm getting gaps between my parts when making an OBJ out of Alias) and I still haven't found a tutorial that just flat out shows me how to apply a label as a texture without going through the UV setup.

I'll keep playing with it...if anyone has any good product focused tutorials that are free post up.

You may want to look into MOI 3d, it seems a lot of people on the Modo forums use it primarily as a translator; I think because it gives you some level of control on your poly mesh during translation. Many prefer it over the built-in Solidworks Translator. I am still learning the workpath as well but if I were you - I'd register and post a quick thread over at the Luxology Forums. Lots of very helpful folks comb the threads daily

Well I'm not using Solidworks at all - and I know a lot of traditional apps don't play nicely with CAD data. It could just be this one file, but it's the only one I have at home at the moment. I might try seeing how it handles FBX files, usually the data I bring out of Showcase is cleaner then that out of Alias.