Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Another_Nocturn

Alternatives To (the Now Dead?) Hypershot...

Guest csven
Heres one I did last year

Nice. Offspring of some of the same things I was working on (Telxon bought by Symbol bought by Motorola). People still call them "brick on a stick" (minus the stick, in this case)?

Buff:

Honestly couldn't give you a time frame - those were really the first set of images I did in Showcase and a lot of that was setting up all of the different parts + alternatives. Not only that, but several major design changes happened to the product over the course of the rendering so certain parts would be swapped out. All in all that file contains 2 different versions of the main body, ~10 different keypad configurations, and over a dozen accessories. What was nice was the fact that it was able to evolve as the project did without me having to go back and redo the renderings.

Now when I work on a rendering I can get similar results for less complex models in 3-4 hours. Usually about 1 hour of part setup (bringing the solid model from Pro-E->Alias, defining all of my color/material breaks and getting the data into Showcase in a clean format) then another hour for applying and tweaking materials, creating my textures from Illustrator, baking ambient shadows (thank you dual-quad Core cpus!) and then usually another hour or two for tweaking the lighting and exporting the shots I need.

The caveat of course with real time rendering is since the lighting is static, I may get a great shot from one angle, but then need to set up a few more lights to get the proper highlights/details visible in the still image from a different angle - but I can usually get 95% of the way there pretty quickly. Sometimes going the extra mile takes a little bit longer - more tweaking of individual maps/shaders to really get it to exactly where you want it to be.

What I really need to find is some better HDRI studio style maps for Showcase that work better on the product side.

Csven: We still call them bricks, although this one is less brick ;-) No stick on this one though.

Guest mappdaniel

Ive never really given showcase a chance till now and ive gotta say once you get past the change in interface from hypershot ad figure out how to do things i actually prefer it to hypershot. ive had no chance to do any transparent material renders yet but is far as standard metals and plastics go its really impressing me.

Not sure I agree. KeyShot/Hypershot now offers a lot in terms of texturing and decals. I think the problem is that it depends a lot on what it uses as source data and how that is set up. I use SolidWorks and it comes in cleanly as it reads the native format. STEP and IGES needs a bit more care.

Buff, look at HyperMove - this has much better decal controls and of course animation.

Cyberdemon, your renders are great but those set up times of hours are much more time than I would have on a typical job. Changing textures/decals in Hypershot is easy once you have set up the texture space (which takes a few seconds).

Either way, Showcase/KeyShot/Shot etc are a different breed from the old way - true design tools.

Cyberdemon, your renders are great but those set up times of hours are much more time than I would have on a typical job. Changing textures/decals in Hypershot is easy once you have set up the texture space (which takes a few seconds).

When I talk about setup time I'm talking about the time it isn't all just the setup to get ready to shoot, it's the time from when I sit down in the morning to when I actually have a compiled presentation of all my renderings . That includes everything from the time to actually generate all the textures/decals (Illustrator->Photoshop, and I usually do multiple maps for each texture depending on what it is - for example I will generate normal maps to simulate surface details that I want to show but haven't modeled in) and the time to actually think about what shots I want and put them into power point.

Every project is different though, If I don't need to create any of those assets (IE something that I already have graphics for and I only need 1 or 2 shots of) it's probably 30 minutes from the time I bring in the geometry to the time I can have some shots that look good. The rest of the time is me tweaking to really try and get the highlights on the surfaces I want, etc. The 95% realistic is easy, its the last 5% thats the time consuming part.

Guest Another_Nocturn
Not sure I agree. KeyShot/Hypershot now offers a lot in terms of texturing and decals. I think the problem is that it depends a lot on what it uses as source data and how that is set up. I use SolidWorks and it comes in cleanly as it reads the native format. STEP and IGES needs a bit more care.

Buff, look at HyperMove - this has much better decal controls and of course animation.

I admit, I really do like HyperShot (now called Shot) and Hypermove (now called Move)... In fact, Ive been a daily user of the Solidworks to Hypermove workflow for quite some time now. But while it generally meets most design needs, its still somewhat primitive for for things like:

-advanced animation features (i.e. motion relationships (similar to mates)

-geometry "flexing / bending" (i.e. having a power cord flex as a part moves)

-non-mainstream material and surfaces. (ie fluids, fabrics, etc)

-Advanced lighting (i.e volumetrics)

-Displacement Mapping (i.e tire treads, knurling)

-Random element generation (ie condensation, fibers, etc)

-UV mapping ( for wrapping patterns in believable ways (ie wood furniture)

-Network Rendering (for those long rendering weekends)

While I wish Bunkspeed ( Luxion or autodesk) would introduce these things, I think its unlikely they ever will simply because are appealing to the mainstream market; they need to keep things simple and cover the bell-curve of requirements.

Move and Shot both work for about 80% of design needs, but these days, they are practically used by 80% of all designers. I am hoping to find more powerful tools and regain a competitive edge over my direct competitors (and the sea of hypershot wielding new grads).

Guest yutyjytj

any one know how i can get extra materials for hypershot e.g lights etc, and how do u use decals in hypershot?

any one know how i can get extra materials for hypershot e.g lights etc, and how do u use decals in hypershot?

Go to the Bunkspeed website - there are hours of webcasts there which step through the process. For lights you need to apply a HDRI to the object itself so it becomes emmissive - not ideal by any means. Extra materials - no shortcuts here. Photoshop, textures, the usual way. Bunkspeed were going to launch a materials library like the excellent Maxwell one, but it never happened. Interestingly Keyshot have a place on their forum for just such a thing.....

Guest yutyjytj
I ended up picking up several videos and a book for Modo 401 and have to say that the forum support and continual flow of training that comes out of luxology is pretty impressive. Ive also been watching the gallery cant believe that some of the shots are not photos. The learning curve is no joke though... wow there are a lot of tools to learn and numerical relationships to "understand".

My demo runs out in about a week, and once my 'tax-damage' has passed - il probably pick up a seat and forge ahead with it.

Anyway, check out these samples.. they just blow me away

619f3852de79c98feaaf191769c2db7d.jpg

81448d73fdab60f64bd30e539cd61a48.jpg

eb469a78f3fc5ed97ee69d3795a16fc6.jpg

2e335a20a691c5eef2e455e99d4f93cf.jpg

deeb67390c36686c56bdba351c327ab4.jpg

57b95e317c249458b76de9164a38b6c0.jpg

hi i was wondering if you could have a look at this topic i have posted, Render 401 Question

Guest Another_Nocturn
hi i was wondering if you could have a look at this topic i have posted, Render 401 Question

Did a quick scan of the forums but didnt see it, Mind posting a link?

Think I'll give the Modo trial a shot this weekend. Never played around with it and from their site it looks like they have some pretty good studio type setups available which is key for me.

Guest Another_Nocturn
Think I'll give the Modo trial a shot this weekend. Never played around with it and from their site it looks like they have some pretty good studio type setups available which is key for me.

Yeah, the SLIK presets are getting great reviews among the die-hard users. Ive also been eyeballing the Pad presets too for product renderings. If your going to download the demo, I recommend anteing up the 25 dollars and getting the Demo + Bee tutorial. Its very thorough and a good overview of the different tools.

Yeah, the SLIK presets are getting great reviews among the die-hard users. Ive also been eyeballing the Pad presets too for product renderings. If your going to download the demo, I recommend anteing up the 25 dollars and getting the Demo + Bee tutorial. Its very thorough and a good overview of the different tools.

Spent all day playing around with it...the rendering engine definitely seems to perform very nicely in terms of speed/quality though so far I've spent most of my time trying to figure out the best workflow for data translation (Even with ultra high tesselation settings I'm getting gaps between my parts when making an OBJ out of Alias) and I still haven't found a tutorial that just flat out shows me how to apply a label as a texture without going through the UV setup.

I'll keep playing with it...if anyone has any good product focused tutorials that are free post up.