Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
imran_othman

Illegal Racing

By the way diesel race car sounds unpractical, diesels offer big Nm at low revs, while racing requires high power and torque at higher revs, unless you race on low speeds on street or extremely curvy racetracks. diesel would simply loose at higher speeds. Heard of any WRC diesel?

Dude, ever heard of Audi R10 or Peugeot 908?

Doesn't seem like...

for example http://www.insideline.com/audi/lemans/its-...mans-racer.html

I mean even the Q5 of a colleague has 300HP, 600Nm of torque and does around 250km/h (3.0 TDI - with chip).

I don't know if anyone is necessarily questioning the potency of diesel, but if the premise of this design is "you keep losing money racing, so buy a new car which is a ~$100,000 diesel super car" - yet even the comparable diesel supercar concepts like the Audi R8 Diesel were only making 500 horsepower.

Doing the "Street racer math" that means you could buy a 505 Horsepower Corvette Z06 for $70,000 and still have $30,000 for gambling and gasoline.

If the premise is to design a car, design a car - but avoid the confusing back story about why it's "designed for illegal street racing with high gas prices" cause it's just silly.

haha...

well, there are 2 answers to that maths equation....

think it as a long term investment...

as i said, with the rising cost of petrol, you cant really evaluate the cost of petrol with maths ...

but you can be certain that the cost of diesel will definately be a lot cheaper than petrol..

another answer is ...

dont hate the player, hate the game (joke)...

lighten up, dude... it just for fun

thanks for the comments, everyone... appreciate it

anyone else...

Imagine if that money germans spent on friggin diesel, they could have spent on internal combustion gasoline engines, rotor engines or turbines, hybrids or electric propulsion, or hehhe, Bose-Einstein condensate based propulsion. No matter, how luxurious a Merc or Bimmer is, once they stop at streetlights and put their diesels in idle, the sound of engine simply goes into `Yugo Zastava`mode. Floor the accelerator and their questionnable genome usually gives away through the exhaust pipe a la Trabant trail, unless backed by zillion soot filters.

Guest MikahB

Not a huge fan of the design, but the modeling and rendering is nice. I also agree the backstory is just too gimmicky. Here in the US, diesel prices are often higher than gas - sometimes by a wide margin. Of course, my diesel truck rocks and I won't own another gas one. :D

As for those who doubt diesel engines as viable racing powerplants, you might want to check out some information about Audi's multiple-time Le Mans winning diesel sports cars - here's a link.

Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races and diesels make gobs of it!

Guest Ajay S

Good concept. The story is not required at all. Takes the focus away from the concept! Simply call it a form excerise,

Looks too rakish, even for the street racer types, specially from the front. The 'cockpit' is definetely a no go. If it is a first cut concept, then it looks great already. Cottage car makers work along similar lines.

Refine, refine, refine.

Guest nickallen1984

it looks very much like an 'Avante' Kit car - these were brought out in the 1970's and were bodyshells built onto a beetle chassis!

1152553269-PA220001.JPG

if you like that then check out the sister car - a 'VW Nova' kit car - these were similar, but had an awesome space age way to get in...... hydraulics!

3887583577_17c9ed9e35.jpg

Imagine if that money germans spent on friggin diesel, they could have spent on internal combustion gasoline engines, rotor engines or turbines, hybrids or electric propulsion, or hehhe, Bose-Einstein condensate based propulsion. No matter, how luxurious a Merc or Bimmer is, once they stop at streetlights and put their diesels in idle, the sound of engine simply goes into `Yugo Zastava`mode. Floor the accelerator and their questionnable genome usually gives away through the exhaust pipe a la Trabant trail, unless backed by zillion soot filters.

Clearly you know nothing about modern diesel engines.

Take Vin Deisel off, and the story behind it away, and you have a pretty plausible Concept Car, A Concept to me is clearly what this is! to make this more realistic many of the elements in your design need to be reduced and constrained.

Unless you have thoroughly researched a certain area, its best to keep the back-story off your boards, unless its a design that relies heavily on a thorough and well researched one.

Great renders though! keep it up...

Kieron-Scott

Guest Buff

No point in me commenting on the design as its such a subjective thing in reality. Particularly with cars. For example some love the Ferrari Calofornia, whilst others hate it. same with the Lamboutghini Gallardo.

As for the comments regarding aero, re- front end lift. the design does not mean it will lift if the airflow is accelorated under the car and brought back to the same velocivty as the laminar flow above thae car by the time it exits at the rear.

I don't know what they teach in automotive design, but I would hope they teach at leaast some basic aerodynamic theory. some materials and manufacturing processing basics really wouldn't go amis either.

By the way diesel race car sounds unpractical, diesels offer big Nm at low revs, while racing requires high power and torque at higher revs, unless you race on low speeds on street or extremely curvy racetracks. diesel would simply loose at higher speeds. Heard of any WRC diesel?

The hare a couple of holes in your theory here.

Deisel offer higher torque for the same given capacity as a petrol/gasoline engine because deisels generate more BMEP (break mean effective pressure) of in laymans terms higher cylinder pressures. i.e more bang for the buck.

The low revs of a desiel are due in no small part to the heavier recipricating and rotating parts which have to be built more solidly to cope with the higer pressures.

Higher power (bhp/kw) is a function of higher revs. Torque on the otherhand is a function of cylinder pressure. Race engines are generally much lower torque for a given capacity. for example the average torque of a performance road car such as a BMW M3 is about the than a formula one car (around 275Nm), but because F1 cars rev to 19,000rpm, the power (bhp) is much higher being in the region of 800bhp

There is a discussion on this subject I contributed to here;- http://www.motorsportmumblings.co.uk/msm/v...mp;hilit=torque

The Audi R10 is a good example of a dominant race car, and the expense you elude to in your later post is again a bit off the mark, as if a manufacturer going racing would spend less on the petrol equivalent. An F1 engine costs around half a million dollars!

For LeMans endurance style racing the desisel makes good sence, but more so where Audi as a brand are trying to sell rep-mobiles to fleet buyers on the basis of endurance, ecconomy and performance. nothing like taking 1,2,3,4 at LeMans to send home that message.

The deisel being more ecconomical by virtue of its greater efficiancy at producing cylinder pressure for a given calorific value from the amount of fuel used means that in racing they can carry ess fuel, which is less mass to lug around the track (some tight antwisty bits too). lugging less mass as old Mr Newton would tell us is good for acceleration, which equates to better lap time.

Guest kariiniite
when you race without sponsors...

and you keep on losing ....

when petrol prices just going higher and higher....

maintaining a sports car would be a problem...

Cheaper alternative..... Diesel

I like the whole rendering and how this car concept looks! Classical red color - nice choice! ;)

Guest bdesigns
Only decent part of the design IMO.

Agree with powers. That part has the most potential.

Good work on this project. This is the best way to learn.

Now for some.. constructive criticism:

Like most people have mentioned, the relation between the story and concept is... too basic, boring and a bit un-practical.

I see no relation between Vin Diesel and the design of the car itself (i forced myself to believe it was designed like that because of his muscles).

You cant just say by having this diesel engine, you have solved a problem. If so, it would be cheaper to just convert existing cars. Furthermore, by having a diesel engine, doesnt mean there will be no maintenance. Basically, you need to think deeper in regards to addressing a problem and answering it.

Ok, about the design. You are missing a lot of key principles in automotive design. I will give you some examples. In regards to the wheel slot, the shape where the wheel fits in should not start closing up on itself. Simply, there should be enough room for a wheel to slide off vertically. I know its very hard to understand, if you need me to provide a pic, just let me know. Then there is the issue of vehicle proportion, relation of linework etc.

About your quick photoshops, apart from teh sketch itself, something quick, that teal colour is baaad..

3d model, good, but heaps of room to improve.

I am not really gonna comment on the rendering because these days with Hyerpshot/Keyshot, it can all be straight forward.

Im expecting you to be pretty young so i must commend you for your efforts in this. Definitely a great direction of becoming a sweet designer. Good work man, i hope i wasnt too harsh.

b.