Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tede

Tangency, The Ugly Sister Of Continuity?

Guest tede

I always thought that tangency was only to be used for non cosmetic areas. Tan constraints are to be hidden away and not spoken of. In the dark inside of a product next to the ejector pin marks, Sink marks, pcb and ribs etc.

But recently I have seen more tangency used.

What is the experience of designers/modelers/engineers here?

My question is when do designers and modelers choose to use tangency and what are the deciding elements that allow tangency to be used??

The fluid aesthetic that you get with continuity is not suitable for every product out there, and there's certainly no rules on when you are allowed to use C1. Sometimes you can make it work for you by making that edge catch light, which can be a very subtle but interesting detail. Other times you may just be after the "good-enough 9-5 engineer" look for whatever reason.

There might be something of interest in this article.

Depends on the surface, finished material quality, and size.

On a part with a coarse texture and a 1mm-2mm radius, I'm not going to worry about G2 because you really won't notice it on the final part.

On a glossy surface or any large transition however, then yes - G2 is a must.

Guest Eddie12

Cyberdemon is the voice of reason.

As with virtually every decision a designer makes, there are a handful of factors. If you really understand the context, you can make an informed decision. ;)

Guest Bowl of Soup

Lets face it, apps make it easy to implement this... I would like to think that one of my freehand sketches never had run-of-the-mill form elements... well in a perfect world.

Guest tede

I thought i would add this response i got on another forum

____

Believe it or not there are plenty of places G1 (tangency) is used.

If a person builds there blends using conic surfaces then there will be only G1. Conics are 2 degree. These can sort of fudge G2 if all accelerations and alignments of primary slabs are just right.

There are also certain studios that do not bother going past G1 if the size of the blend is smaller than 3mm. This is because of certain homologation requirements. Plus 3mm blends are quiet small so the look of the blend is nearly imperceptible.

______

Similar to what Cyberdeamon mentioned regarding hte 3mm blends, I think that this modeler maybe more focused on automotive.

I am familiar with conics, but i always thought you could achieve g2 with conics... i just assumed that if you split a conic in half creating 2 conic curves form one, they remained in 'perfect tangency' which is continuity i thought, more investigation needed here i htink.....