Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Playdo

Studio Rendering?

I've been looking at some 'studio style' renderings like the ones shown below. How do I get results like this where the soft shadows have a small spread and the floor is studio lit? I usually end up with a lot of soft shadow on the floor or to keep the floor very well illuminated it blows out the detail on the product.

For renderings where there are gradients in the background like in the pics below or Nathan Mills posted here http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=2946 what's the method? Are the products rendered separately with a separate pass for the floor shadow and floor reflection and then composited on a gradient background in Photoshop?

I hope someone can enlighten.

post-29050-1260930901.jpg

post-29050-1260930929.jpg

post-29050-1260930967.jpg

post-29050-1260930992.jpg

First off what package are you using?

Generally this is accomplished by using a soft transitioning surface for your background (imagine the sheet or roll of paper you would use for a backdrop if taking a studio photo), and a skylight for your main lighting. By getting a large diffuse skylight for your main lighting source, it allows you to get soft transitions. You can then add 1 or 2 point sources if you need light on focused surfaces.

You can map a gradient to your backdrop surface if you want it to have a more gradiated transition, but usually this can be accomplished just by the fact that your backdrop should be large enough where your light doesn't hit all of it.

Tools like Hypershot or Showcase will already have prefab studio type setups.

post-3706-1260975050.jpg

Hopefully that gives you a start. A trick I've found if using a renderer like Mental ray is to actually create your skylight from a large disc with a radial gradient. Black in the center and increasing to a white with a value much higher than 1 (the renderer will calculate this as light when doing a final gather). Basically the technique I used on this.

alfafall2.jpg

If you look you can see the gradient on the body panels is happening both because of the shader, but also because it is reflecting a light that is not constant. I made that mistake early on by making my light source a solid color, you can see in the early renderings the big long bar of white reflecting.

alfa7.jpg

Hope that helps.

I use MR too. I'm having trouble with getting the floor so well lit (ie pure white) without blowing out the product. Are you suggesting to put small point lights on the floor? Here's an example of my work so you can see what I mean.

The Estee Lauder render and the audi in Nate's portfolio initially looked like they were in a photoshopped environment but maybe it's done by putting a key light in the far background (blowing out the floor) and fill lights in the foreground on the product?

post-29050-1260982901.jpg

I use MR too. I'm having trouble with getting the floor so well lit (ie pure white) without blowing out the product. Are you suggesting to put small point lights on the floor? Here's an example of my work so you can see what I mean.

The Estee Lauder render and the audi in Nate's portfolio initially looked like they were in a photoshopped environment but maybe it's done by putting a key light in the far background (blowing out the floor) and fill lights in the foreground on the product?

Probably a couple ways to do it, Photoshop is honestly probably going to be the easiest, especially if you do 1 pass with no floor to get a clean alpha channel of your product. Then you can just select your floor in 1 click, adjust as you desire, and you're done.

Make sure your floor shader is as pure white as you can get it, Diffuse set to 1, you can try setting the value of the color to +1, but this will make it give off a bit of it's own light.

You can also experiment with adding a dim ambient light to reduce your darkest colors and lighten the floor a bit.

With final gathering, you want to try doing as much with your main light and only add 1 or 2 light objects (1 directional, 1 point/ambient) to try and get to where you want to be. Adding more lights then that generally winds up being hard to control.

Your result looks pretty good, I would just watch out for the overly reflective screen that seems to be reflecting your environment that you can't see. I do that too (use a detailed environment in a studio scene to get nice reflections) but sometimes it's too strong and looks strange.

A little bit of post processing (color correction, a little bit of noise, and maybe a bit of depth of field faking) also goes a long way to getting to the photo realism.

You guys really like to make life hard for yourselves :)

To get the effect you want:

1. Go to www.bunkspeed.com

2. Download Hypershot

3. Import the CAD model

4. Select a Studio environment

5. Realtime render or render, done - 5 mins

then

Go to www.hdrlightstudio.com, buy HDR Light Studio and create as many custom HDRs as you need.

or

Look at this for the ultimate slick approach

http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/hdrlightstud...ploration2.html