Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cderby

Project 2100

Guest cderby

I am not taking a Product Studio this semester...I have finished all my credits and I'm graduating in 3 weeks.

This project is in collaboration with a friend in the same situation. Not taking a studio, we didn't want to run the risk of becoming "rusty" this semester.

We wanted to do a conceptual vehicle project but didn't know what the back story might be.

Here is what life might be like in the year 2100:

- Earth is flooded...Water is contaminated...Humans live on and above the surface of Earth.

- Air is un-breathable...Humans can not survive long on the surface...Humans are in Containment / Quarantine.

- Technology is progressive - Manufacturing process has stopped

- Reused parts from 2060 - New materials cost too much to produce

- Used parts create vehicles - New technology is retrofitted into parts

- Caste system rebirth - People don't travel between cities

- Poor & Middle class live on the surface (dirty, unkept, dark)

- Wealthy & Upper Class live above the clouds (clean, sunlight, high standards of living)

3 main parts:

- City (new civilizations live above the smog / pollution layer)

- Vehicle (cargo ship travels between the surface, cities and solar pads)

- Solar / Vegetation (only way to get energy and food is to move above the pollution layer)

Here is the cargo vehicle: (screenshots from Rhino)

Cargo will be carried in a "backpack" that will be attached to the rear. The winglets will close down to hold onto the cargo pack.

front

front.jpg

back.jpg

scale.jpg

We still have to model the city and solar / vegetation pads...lots of work ahead of us!

I have tons of sketches that will explain more of the "story" aspect to the project. I will post these soon.

Guest cderby

The more details added, the more realistic the vehicle becomes!

The wings close and clamp onto the cargo backpack to hold it in place.

wingsopen.jpg

Guest cderby

Here is a preliminary start to adding; textures, decals, materials.

I haven't really done a project with added bumpmaps and textures, so I'm learning as I go :D

My goal is to have a few Renderings with clean surfaces and a couple with added "damage", I'm still trying to figure out how to make it look rusty, used and abused. I'm digging the damage to the top section...the front still needs work.

Comments are always welcome!

Render2.jpg

Render3.jpg

The interior is completely built, my friend has been working on that. I'll post up pictures soon.

Guest retrospec

very nice, I love the work in rhino and the concept. I do wanna ask you what program you used to render?

Guest cderby
very nice, I love the work in rhino and the concept. I do wanna ask you what program you used to render?

In the past I've used Showcase and Vray,...

I use Hypershot for everything now.

Guest cderby

I'm trying to layout the final boards. These are not the final images, just screen shots to act as placeholders for the final renderings...soon to be added.

Just showing more progress on the project :thumbsup:

These boards are 34x68 and are not formatted for my portfolio.

Board1copy-1.jpg

Guest cderby

Here are some screen shots from Rhino.

I am having some REAL trouble importing the final model into Hypershot for renderings. The file size is close to 350 MB!!!

I've tried Saving Small and tons of data loss occurs...I'm really at a loss because I need to figure out a way to get this thing rendered!

1-15.jpg

2-10.jpg

3-9.jpg

Guest lhc

loving the form language great job in rhino!

would be interesting to see some more final renders when this is done good luck!

Guest Lilith

marvelllous! nice story, wonderful sketches and modeling! looking forward for the development

Guest LERsince1991

Absolutely amazing project! Seriously impressive!

If your having problems with the hypershot stuff I would email 'Jeff mcartney' think thats how its spelt. he works for bunkspeed, sure you can get his email address of their, hes a genius at this stuff and always helps me if I need it :)

I was about to ask how the hell you did this but then it was obvious you used hypershot for the renders (awesome btw) and saw your post about using rhino (I wish I could use) I'm only on google sketchup atm ;)

Could you please tell me a bit more about yourself so it doesnt make me feel to badly skilled haha?

Age, experience etc...

Guest cderby
Absolutely amazing project! Seriously impressive!

If your having problems with the hypershot stuff I would email 'Jeff mcartney' think thats how its spelt. he works for bunkspeed, sure you can get his email address of their, hes a genius at this stuff and always helps me if I need it :)

I was about to ask how the hell you did this but then it was obvious you used hypershot for the renders (awesome btw) and saw your post about using rhino (I wish I could use) I'm only on google sketchup atm :(

Could you please tell me a bit more about yourself so it doesnt make me feel to badly skilled haha?

Age, experience etc...

Thanks for the nice comments :)

I actually just graduated in December 2009 with a BFA in Industrial Design from College For Creative Studies. I'm 22 years old now, so I went to college straight from High School.

I just started working full-time for Motorola in Chicago.

I have my latest renderings that I'll post soon ;)