Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest CheckMate

Graphics Cards For Win7 System?

Guest CheckMate

Hey,

I'm thinking of building a new windows 7 64bit system...

Which graphics cards should I be looking at?

I'm interested in using it for photoshop, illustrator and sketchbook pro and possably video editing.

Which manufacturer is better: nvidia or ati? which of their ranges should I be looking at?

thanks,

Hey,

I'm interested in using it for photoshop, illustrator and sketchbook pro and possably video editing.

Which manufacturer is better: nvidia or ati? which of their ranges should I be looking at?

thanks,

Other than a few of the newer features put into photoshop, any low-mid range gaming (Geforce/Radeon) cards will be completely acceptable from either ATI or Nvidia.

The benefits of video cards come from 3D acceleration, so if you aren't looking at doing a lot of 3D work then cheaper is fine.

Guest frippdesign
Hey,

thanks,

If you are hobbyist, take the risk, but as a Design Agency we only use Windows XP; like vintage wine, the longer you leave a Microsoft operating system, the better it gets. We would not consider using Windows 7 until, at least it has had three service pack releases!!!

Good luck

Hey,

thanks,

If you are hobbyist, take the risk, but as a Design Agency we only use Windows XP; like vintage wine, the longer you leave a Microsoft operating system, the better it gets. We would not consider using Windows 7 until, at least it has had three service pack releases!!!

Good luck

Not if you use SolidWorks Fripp :D

Windows 7 32 and 64 runs SW2010 faster than XP or Vista. I've got it on a desktop workstation and a Macbook pro and it works very well I have to say - very stable. In terms of cards though, provided there is a certified Microsoft Windows 7 driver it shouldn't be an issue for the apps you are using. Not the case if you are using a CAD system like SolidWorks!

I've also moved all the Macs onto OS10.6.....I like to live dangerously :)

Guest CheckMate

Good luck

Not if you use SolidWorks Fripp :D

Windows 7 32 and 64 runs SW2010 faster than XP or Vista. I've got it on a desktop workstation and a Macbook pro and it works very well I have to say - very stable. In terms of cards though, provided there is a certified Microsoft Windows 7 driver it shouldn't be an issue for the apps you are using. Not the case if you are using a CAD system like SolidWorks!

I've also moved all the Macs onto OS10.6.....I like to live dangerously :)

Well I have now built my system...

intel core i7 860 processor

asus p7p55d motherboard

4GB corsair 1600MHz dominator memory, I'd like to double it in a year or so when I have the dosh.

2x 500GB caviar green western digital SATA drives

corsair 550W PSU

and an nVidia 8600GT 1GB Super+ graphics card which I bought for £20 of a friend to help keep costs down. I will probably upgrade in a year or so but it seems to be working nicely at the moment.

I have installed window 7 x64 and I have to say it is running a treat. In fact It may well be more stable than I am... :thumbsup:

Fripp, I wouldn't describe myself as a hobbiest. I have a batchelors in product design but then decided I didn't want to go into the industry but do illustration and photography instead. However I would still like to do some designs someday (sculptural objects rather than consumer products). In 3-5 years time there is the possiblity that I may want to have Solidworks on my machine.

KQD, "Not the case if you are using a CAD system like SolidWorks!" this sentence seems a littel ambiguous, please can you clarify what is not the case?

thanks,

Duncan

KQD, "Not the case if you are using a CAD system like SolidWorks!" this sentence seems a littel ambiguous, please can you clarify what is not the case?

I believe he was referring to the fact that Solidworks is stable under Windows 7. I have had good luck so far with Windows 7 and Alias, but that is not in a production environment.

Even in XP our software is less than stable, but for the most part it's always the nature of any CAD system that you are pushing hard on.

What I was referring to is that Windows 7 is the recommended OS for running SolidWorks 2010 now. Companies like SolidWorks have stated that the current versions will be the last to support XP. The other thing is the graphics card. Most CAD systems demand a certified card to access higher end graphics features - so cards like the Nvidia Quadros and ATI FireGLs.

Cyberdemon - interesting comment on the stability of Alias and XP. Has Alias ever been stable? Every time I've contemplated buying it I've trialed it for a while and been put off by the constant crashing and general instability. This is on certified systems as well (from the infamour SGI Visual NT workstations onwards). I recall going to a trade show about 10 years ago and seeing some poor demo guy struggling to show Alias - it bombed about 5 times in a half hour session.

What I was referring to is that Windows 7 is the recommended OS for running SolidWorks 2010 now. Companies like SolidWorks have stated that the current versions will be the last to support XP. The other thing is the graphics card. Most CAD systems demand a certified card to access higher end graphics features - so cards like the Nvidia Quadros and ATI FireGLs.

Cyberdemon - interesting comment on the stability of Alias and XP. Has Alias ever been stable? Every time I've contemplated buying it I've trialed it for a while and been put off by the constant crashing and general instability. This is on certified systems as well (from the infamour SGI Visual NT workstations onwards). I recall going to a trade show about 10 years ago and seeing some poor demo guy struggling to show Alias - it bombed about 5 times in a half hour session.

I've found that Alias is VERY tempermental but on a clean, properly running system should be fairly stable. Some builds are more finnicky than others but I just checked my crash logs and I've actually only had 8 total crashes since I built this machine about a year ago. I have had times where the software starts acting up and I've needed to restart, but it's overall been pretty good.

By comparison someone else in my department on a machine built by IT I remember checking his crash log and it was somewhere around 150-200 crashes. Crashing multiple times a day was kind of an expectation. Since it was the same hardware but a different system image I've come to the conclusion it's just a bad mix of corporate software (antivirus) and certain version drivers.

I have found it's pickier with graphics drivers. Once I find one that works I won't touch it ever again. Right now we're running HP certified workstations with Quadro 4800 cards.