Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Lexus Lf-a ( Reloaded 2)

Well, I could do without pressure sensitivity for a while. I wanted to know if the Pen would nicely follow the path and draw precisely on a connected LCD screen, because 12 inches sound so meager to me( if we are talking screens here:)). And if I bought Wacom, would I be able to use Sketchpro with pressure sensitivity? Now I feel puzzled and don`t know which advice to folllow. I guess those pens get connected through USB? By the way Keyboard cat could easily play off most of my designs, as they mostly suck. The good thing is they somewhat tend to suck less....:))))

Well, I could do without pressure sensitivity for a while. I wanted to know if the Pen would nicely follow the path and draw precisely on a connected LCD screen, because 12 inches sound so meager to me( if we are talking screens here:)). And if I bought Wacom, would I be able to use Sketchpro with pressure sensitivity? Now I feel puzzled and don`t know which advice to folllow. I guess those pens get connected through USB? By the way Keyboard cat could easily play off most of my designs, as they mostly suck. The good thing is they somewhat tend to suck less....:))))

You can not draw on your TV - don't waste your time or money.

A 12" Wacom is about the same size as a sheet of A4 paper - except paper you can't zoom in or out on. You can zoom out to get broad details and zoom in to draw fine details.

Otherwise thats why they make a 21" version.

And yes - all of the Wacoms have pressure sensitivity. There is a reason they are the ONLY tablet used by professional designers (at least the Intuos/Cintiq lines, the Bamboo series is really meant more for pen input, not drawing).

How` bout Wacom Intuous4 medium sized one? Would that be good enough? Is it compatible with sketchpro or the actual sketching program doesn`t matter that much? I really plan to work on nuanced slopes and subtleties of line curvatures, so I hope this one will cut it. I haven`t still bought it ,but I am planning to do it soon.

Guest Taro

all wacom would be compatible with all the sketching programs, it is basically a mouse, there is no such thing as a mouse that is not compatible with a computer.

Intous 4 is nice, most people uses that to save money. At first it will be really hard to use, cintiqs could be picked up right away. And in terms of keeping the tablet for a long time, cintiqs are better because after awhile, you would want a cintiq anyways lol.

That would be an ideal starter tablet. And yes it's compatible with everything, especially tools like SB-Pro. The pen tablet simply acts like your mouse, but will also give pressure/tilt feedback to programs that ask for it (like SbPro and Photoshop).

Thank you, I hope You understand that I haven`t come here to fight with you:), I have come here to fight with myself.

Small steps.. Small steps. I realize I lack what it takes,for now.Yet, I enjoy the journey.... LF-A, another version. So far I will have to wait a couple of weeks for tablet . Hope it will help me:)

post-28725-1260141065.jpg

Guest AutomóvilVerde

um... what vander said...

I like the original, but you honestly just messed it up. none of them even resemble a lexus or look very attractive.

the last one especially looks nothing like it should. way to many things going on. lexus designs are always simple, not many edges or fancy stuff, just sleek and simple.

Lexus designs are not simple, they are simple-to-read. Lexus are masters at making tension-free designs. I still haven`t mastered that. I am still learning how to create an `unobstructed elegance`. I think a really skillful designer is the one that can create endlessly complex designs that are easy-to read.

I feel I should share with you some of what I've learned so far in vehicle design:

First of all, never ever post a Photoshop of a car photo ever again. I believe it is very difficult to be taken seriously with such work (there are some who do "underlays" but if you do, it is very important to change every single line of the car, and if possible, the proportion).

Second, judging from your other threads, you seem to be very fixated with subordinate volumes and details, when you should be focusing on the dominant proportions and the silhouette of the car first. Again, if you want to be taken seriously, don't design a "body kit". Consider the character, the expression of the whole car instead.

Third, I think you seem to be a bit too fond of looking at other cars, and a bit stuck in the 80s when it comes to styling. Don't look at other cars for styling, look at other things, like nature, sculpture, abstract photography and art. What I'm getting at here is lines, and line quality, which you must learn.

There is an excellent book about lines (and volumes) that is called Elements of Design. Buy it, read it, and take a course in the structure of visual relationship at Pratt Institute if possible.

Then about line quality, there are several excellent videos you can buy at the Gnomon Workshop. I especially recommend the ones by Feng Zhu and Scott Robertson (of Art Center fame). Do NOT get the high resolution or Photoshop stuff! You know that already (learn how to use paths, though). Get the pencil and paper ones.

If you get the book and videos above, and practice for at least an hour every day (more if you can) and come back in a year, everyone here will be able to give you feedback and criticism that will actually be about the design, and not the technique. I personally can't even begin to critique your design, because to me it is all over the place and nowhere at the same time.

Here is a quick illustration of where you currently are, and where you need to be:

post-526-1260583855.jpg

You are right about the lines, i am angry at myself, because most of lines i do with mouse and they become jitterry and awkward. I haven`t read any books on design, so far I am basing everything on observation. I need a good teacher to punch me in right direction.

I haven`t read any books on design, so far I am basing everything on observation. I need a good teacher to punch me in right direction.

Then start listening to the things people have told you over and over, because you ignore 99% of it. I told you to buy those Gnomon workshop videos months ago, if you can afford a Cintiq you can spend the $40 on a DVD that will be infinetely valuable to your understanding of things, or continue trudging ahead and complaining you aren't getting good feedback.

You seriously need to read every sentence of feedback people give you and work to understand it, even if you don't agree with it. Half of what going to design school teaches you is the willingness to suppress what you may think is YOUR right idea, and use others feedback to refine it into something that takes into account the valid points of others.

If you continue to blow people off you're just going to be stuck making designs that no one agrees with but you.