Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmattley

Saving As Stl In Solidworkds Student Design Kit 08

Guest jmattley

Hi all, I have the student design kit 2008 and as you know you can only save as solidworks files with it. I desperately, need to save my creation as an IGES and STL file though for RP.

Would anyone here with versions 2008 or newer fancy saving it as an STl or IGES for me as I would be very grateful so I can actually finish my uni project.

I'm a Sheffield Hallam Uni product student by the way.

Cheers!

Send it to your RP bureau as a native SolidWorks file - they should be able to do something with it. If not, use one that has SolidWorks. Is the educational version a special version of the SW file format?

Guest henry81
Hi all, I have the student design kit 2008 and as you know you can only save as solidworks files with it. I desperately, need to save my creation as an IGES and STL file though for RP.

Would anyone here with versions 2008 or newer fancy saving it as an STl or IGES for me as I would be very grateful so I can actually finish my uni project.

I'm a Sheffield Hallam Uni product student by the way.

Cheers!

if you have tried opening with rhino

send me the file will try to convert the file for u. i will give a try.

regards

henry

What do most students want to do with their CAD models?

3D print them of course!

That Solidworks has removed this functionality in their student version (while Alias hasn't) is baffling to me.

What do most students want to do with their CAD models?

3D print them of course!

That Solidworks has removed this functionality in their student version (while Alias hasn't) is baffling to me.

I'm not familiar with the SW education version but is the file format compatible with the commercial version?

If so most decent RP bureau can read a SW file.

The other thing to try is to export the file as an E drawing, and make sure the preference is set in the E drawing to "let user save as stl".

If you are using a university lab for the 3D printing they (should) have a facility to convert the SW educational format to the format needed for printing (not necessarily stl).

Guest Carbon
I'm not familiar with the SW education version but is the file format compatible with the commercial version?

The educational version (at least 2009) has all the features of the commercial version, only the "student kit" version (downloadable by students) has the limitations.

So, it's possible to open the student kit file in an educational version and save as *.stl or whatever.

It *is* inconvenient though...