Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Mercury Moonwalker

I am just at the beginning of my journey. I hope one day I can learn to hear the music within and fine tune it the way you did. Thank you.....

post-28725-1258893542.jpg

here is a different version of rear air scoop , couldn`t decide which one to use. I tried to apply in this car the principles that are important to me, - paralellness, continuity, 90 degree tendency , visual mass and its slope, thickness of elements and and adoption of single simple shape.

post-28725-1258895168.jpg

the red line shows the visual mass. The green lines show shows how I determine its slope. And the white lines show the principles observed.

post-28725-1258900160.jpg

Guest dwdy

i dont think anyone on this forum has a clue what you talk about advanced boy, either we are too dumb, or you need to seek some mental help. I think probably the latter.

FYI - it's generally frowned upon to take someone elses work, sketch on top of it, and then present it as your own without that persons consent or crediting them.

Guest Taro

it's someone else's, i think its the big mercedez discussion under the finished project section.

It was Mercedes, but almost nothing from it is left here, not even a-pillar, You can download the Merc pic at finished projects and then tell me what exactly is there` someone elses work`. I told you, all I needed from it was a perspective layout. Whose consent I needed? Mercedes? :))))))))

It was Mercedes, but almost nothing from it is left here, not even a-pillar, You can download the Merc pic at finished projects and then tell me what exactly is there` someone elses work`. I told you, all I needed from it was a perspective layout. Whose consent I needed? Mercedes? :))))))))

The roof, interior, wheels,etc are the same, and it's not like you took a sketch or a photo and just used it as an underlay for a completely new drawing, you are just digitally painting on top of someone elses work.

If you're writing a book and you change every paragraph but leave even 1 sentence the same, it's still plagiarism.

Well, you should download both pics then joggle between them and see what is actually different. I already told you in previous posts that I am working on Shojaje`s coupe. He was actually rendering a mercedes coupe with adding his own elements, I took his design and removed everything, I left only wheels and slightly changed them, I changed even diameter, wheelbase, dashboard, all exterior, except roof which seemed ok. My plagiarism is no different from his. Instead of concentrating on design, and talking what should be slightly modified or improved, you simply like ranting. Why instead of me you don`t approach a multibillion company like Tesla for plagiarising old Lotus coupes?:))))) You have to study the language of design, and how to address issues in details. generalisations don`t help anyone here. Every sentence that starts with ` it`s kinda,,`is meaningless for a design student. What would help me , is the detailed arrows and numbers put to every flaw I make, so I could concentrate on them. There are many design students who are simply stuck with their styles and can`t advance forward, because so -called pros give them too general pieces of advice. Even now I am not completely satisfied with the design, because the front has a slightly different shape formation than the rear part. And headlights need improvement as well, their shape is somewhat unfinished . I am here also to experiment and innovate, and it will take time before my eyes adjust to one solid design language. Actually my insatisfaction is what propels me forward, it doesn`t allow to stop me to find new shapes. And while I might seem abrasive , at least I try to explain in details to MHO what is seemingly wrong with other designs. I make small steps, and the ladder is tall, but persistency is my comrade...........

Almost forgot. I have a couple of questions about programs. I have noticed that the rendering gets pixel-scattered more and more every time I close it and then open it up again in a sketch pro.Is it a fault of the computer, the program or I am doing something wrong. Looks like some pixels simply get dislocated. And what program would you suggest me to do drawing where I can use lines and bend them instead of using only ellipses or straight lines as in Sketchpro. So far I use only mouse so, drawing in the program is clumsy. And last one how can one measure `the roof passenger side line` if it is bent and it is hard to determine where the edge is and how it would behave according to perspective. Is it based on estimation or is it possible to do it precisely. Thanx!

Well, you should download both pics then joggle between them and see what is actually different. I already told you in previous posts that I am working on Shojaje`s coupe. He was actually rendering a mercedes coupe with adding his own elements, I took his design and removed everything, I left only wheels and slightly changed them, I changed even diameter, wheelbase, dashboard, all exterior, except roof which seemed ok. My plagiarism is no different from his. Instead of concentrating on design, and talking what should be slightly modified or improved, you simply like ranting. Why instead of me you don`t approach a multibillion company like Tesla for plagiarising old Lotus coupes?:))))) You have to study the language of design, and how to address issues in details. generalisations don`t help anyone here. Every sentence that starts with ` it`s kinda,,`is meaningless for a design student. What would help me , is the detailed arrows and numbers put to every flaw I make, so I could concentrate on them. There are many design students who are simply stuck with their styles and can`t advance forward, because so -called pros give them too general pieces of advice. Even now I am not completely satisfied with the design, because the front has a slightly different shape formation than the rear part. And headlights need improvement as well, their shape is somewhat unfinished . I am here also to experiment and innovate, and it will take time before my eyes adjust to one solid design language. Actually my insatisfaction is what propels me forward, it doesn`t allow to stop me to find new shapes. And while I might seem abrasive , at least I try to explain in details to MHO what is seemingly wrong with other designs. I make small steps, and the ladder is tall, but persistency is my comrade...........

No theres a very significant difference here. His rendering was created by him. He built the 3D model, applyed the textures, and lit and rendered an image that was 100% his. He did not plagarise or steal a single thing, and there is nothing illegal about using a MB badge on a free work of art.

Tesla is not plagarising Lotus. As per their website:

"Lotus Cars is assembling the Tesla Roadster under contract to Tesla Motors. Tesla Motors has also hired Lotus Engineering for certain design and engineering tasks. "

For a person who has no education in design, you certainly seem to have a great understanding of how things work. Never in my 4 years of design education did a professor walk up to my drawings with a pen and draw arrows that said "#1 this line does not have it's mass sloping correctly". It simply never happened. Maybe it's because I'm an industrial designer and not a car designer, but having worked with GM during my education I can say I've never heard that kind of language from them either. (Here is where you can insert your usual poltical wisdom about American car companies).

I could call out what works well and what doesn't (like the awkward 45 degree angled side vents) but at the end of the day those are SUBJECTIVE criteria. You may love your vents and I may hate them, because that area of the design is subjective. Since you've already shown that you typically don't respond well to subjective criteria I don't bother. I'm simply going to call out when things are grossly incorrect (perspective, etc) so that you can see them yourself and learn to correct them.

Your last concept (the one with Ron Paul driving) was probably your nicest piece of work, though your style of presentation still needs improving. You focus much too long on your single 3/4 view renderings rather than focusing on refining the basic line work from multiple angles which would expand your understanding of perspective and how forms will behave when viewed from behind, above, etc.

RE software: I am guessing you are saving your images as a .jpg and not the native .tif? If so you are compressing and recompressing your image every time you save. That is why it keeps looking worse and worse.

And if you would have listened to the advice I gave you weeks ago regarding Scott Robertsons "How to Draw in perspective" DVD's, those would help you understand all of the questions you've been asking about perspective (how to understand where a line will fall in 3D even when curved). It'll be the best ~$40 you ever spent.

Guest Taro

yah, basically when you reduce the size of an image, the quality decreases, and the next time, if you want to blow it up, it gets a bit worse.

I apologize, I thought he took mercedes pic and reworked it. I should have taken simply another merc picture. For me actually it is not important the superb rendering skills, what matters to me is the actual shape of a concept. And he actually rendered SLR with his ideas of design. My ideas of lines and slopes actually comes from observation. I try to observe a lot of cars and try to define what distorts a nice design, then I try to formulate it. What I have also noticed that if you observe the principles of paralellness, continuity, 90 degrees, you can actually add a lot of elements to the car without ruining integrity. Also if you watch carefully line and element thickness you can add a lot of facets without ruining a design. For example,I tried to look carefully at lexus LFA and analyze why so many people dislike the production version of it. The answer might be somewhere in line thickness, . There is certainly some limit beyond which you should not make elements thinner, as they become cumbersome to bigger elements. To my mind while LFA certainly is elegant and worked out some elements get too skinny, like underline the side air scoop or edge-less air intakes, etc. I will post a slightly tuned up version of LFA this weekend hopefully. Then I will proceed with other projects. And I don`t have any political rants about US car manufacturers, because their design section is top-notch, the rest isn`t.

If you're looking for a more precise tool to draw lines, I would suggest you use illustrator (or at the very least, the path tool in photoshop and then "stroke path") Those will be vector lines which are smooth and editable, very easy to tweak. On another subject, you seem very passionate about design. Please try to get into a school, it will help you a lot. After you've learned some specific types of things first in that environment, then you'll be able to move forward on your own but you need that base first. Good luck to you.