Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tede

Rhino Rail Revolve In Alias

Hmm I would have to look at a copy of Rhino to see, but any time I hear "rail" I would say you should be able to do whatever it is as a bi-rail of some variation?

If you can post a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve I can tell you how to do it...don't have both packages installed anymore.

Guest tede

Here is an example of the rail revolve tool,

In alias, I have so far been creating a 4 sided surface, then grabbing the last set of points at each end and placing them all in the same place. But this requires alot of manual point manip....

the second image attached, is a rhino command called set point. this way i can align a certain set of points, i can planarize them.

How can i do this in Alias?!?!

As you can tell im new to alias.......

Thanks for your help

tim

post-1307-1259031946.jpg

post-1307-1259032025.jpg

Guest tede
Here is an example of the rail revolve tool,

In alias, I have so far been creating a 4 sided surface, then grabbing the last set of points at each end and placing them all in the same place. But this requires alot of manual point manip....

the second image attached, is a rhino command called set point. this way i can align a certain set of points, i can planarize them.

How can i do this in Alias?!?!

As you can tell im new to alias.......

Thanks for your help

tim

Well i worked out the rail revolve issue. kinda. It was possible to do with a rail surface, 2 generation curves and a rail curve, these curves came from surfaces. but it was more of a revolve than a true rail revolve. I had to then place all the points in the corner.

still havent worked out the xyz snapping, somethign to do with alt + RMB / LMB but the affect changes if you select hulls and CV's still working on this.

still havent worked out the xyz snapping, somethign to do with alt + RMB / LMB but the affect changes if you select hulls and CV's still working on this.

Look at the help documentation to better understand the snaps and mouse combos (LMB MMB RMB). Theres all kinds of fun stuff you may have never realized until you understand the key combos.

Guest tede

Look at the help documentation to better understand the snaps and mouse combos (LMB MMB RMB). Theres all kinds of fun stuff you may have never realized until you understand the key combos.

Ok i have a quick question

After looking at the info you suggested the answer is kind of useing the CTRL button as a switch to level out the points, which is what I am looking for. However i cant seem to use it to snap to anything other than the grid. What i want is to be able to horizontally or vertically align 2 points or more with respect to the origional position of any of the selected points......

The only way i can currently do this is by drawing in the line that i want the points to align on and moving hte points to that line with snapping tools. this defeats the purpose of the ctrl button usage.....

Any ideas?

Ok i have a quick question

After looking at the info you suggested the answer is kind of useing the CTRL button as a switch to level out the points, which is what I am looking for. However i cant seem to use it to snap to anything other than the grid. What i want is to be able to horizontally or vertically align 2 points or more with respect to the origional position of any of the selected points......

The only way i can currently do this is by drawing in the line that i want the points to align on and moving hte points to that line with snapping tools. this defeats the purpose of the ctrl button usage.....

Any ideas?

Not 100% sure if I follow but heres a quick overview.

So there are 3 snap modes.

CTRL + LMB - Snap directly to a point in all 3 Axes. In an ortho View, Ctrl+MMB will snap ONLY in the X axis and CTRL + RMB will snap only in the Y axis. This is good if you want to align a set of points to the X/Y location of another point. Make sure that you don't select the point you want to snap to, otherwise this won't work.

CTRL + ALT is line snap. This will snap to any curve, edge, isoparm, or (heres a little powerful trick) any patch precision line on a surface (Object Edit->Patch Precision). This is really useful if you want to snap curves to say a uniform increment along a surface. You can up the patch precision to divide your surface into say 5th's, and then snap your curves to each of your new patch lines. In this case the LMB MMB RMB behave the same way (snap X+Y, Snap X, Snap Y) in the ortho views.

ALT is grid snap which is pretty straight forward.

It sounds like your issue is you're trying to align all your points but you have the CV you want to align to already selected. Unselect that CV then move the rest of the points to it and viola.

Guest tede
It sounds like your issue is you're trying to align all your points but you have the CV you want to align to already selected. Unselect that CV then move the rest of the points to it and viola.

Perfect. Man I feel daft.

In my efforts to find a solution I came a cross an rather odd work around, and more questions... if you wouldnt mind.

The P MOV (proportional Mod Control) command which is very awesome.

Ill try and talk you through it..... (values are arbitrary)

1. make 2 curves that have no relation to one another about 3cm apart., one with 4 points (line A) and the other with 6 or more (line :D. (both degree 3)

2. Now I select the first 3 CV's of Line B, Using the move tool I am unable to snap the 3 cvs to the end of Line A, without breaking the distance relationship between these CV's (they all pile in to the 1 spot)

3. Using the PMOV command this problem can be sorted with a falloff value.

BUT! A falloff value of ZERO does the same as above, and a fall off value above ZERO causes movement as the points are moved....

This is an annoying problem as i would like to relocate a hull for example without stretch it, i jsut want to move the whole hull as one unit and snap the 1st CV of my miss placed hull to the last CV of the adjacent surface hull....

Is it valid to make the falloff value 0.0000001, or is there a more eloquent way to do this?

Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks alot for your time, and patcience.

Tim

Perfect. Man I feel daft.

In my efforts to find a solution I came a cross an rather odd work around, and more questions... if you wouldnt mind.

The P MOV (proportional Mod Control) command which is very awesome.

Ill try and talk you through it..... (values are arbitrary)

1. make 2 curves that have no relation to one another about 3cm apart., one with 4 points (line A) and the other with 6 or more (line :D. (both degree 3)

2. Now I select the first 3 CV's of Line B, Using the move tool I am unable to snap the 3 cvs to the end of Line A, without breaking the distance relationship between these CV's (they all pile in to the 1 spot)

3. Using the PMOV command this problem can be sorted with a falloff value.

BUT! A falloff value of ZERO does the same as above, and a fall off value above ZERO causes movement as the points are moved....

This is an annoying problem as i would like to relocate a hull for example without stretch it, i jsut want to move the whole hull as one unit and snap the 1st CV of my miss placed hull to the last CV of the adjacent surface hull....

Is it valid to make the falloff value 0.0000001, or is there a more eloquent way to do this?

Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks alot for your time, and patcience.

Tim

Not quite sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot/sketch?

Have you tried using the different features of the MOVE CV tool? This allows you to pick both CV's and hulls and maniuplate them as one object. I've never needed to use the PMOD tool so I have 0 experience with it.