- - - - -

Final Year Project

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slippy_*

Guest_slippy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hi there I would like to hear your thoughts ideas and feedback on my final year project at university - Product Design Bsc.

My thoughts were on doing a project that looks into The Future of Home Stereo Design

Here are my intial ideas so far

- A stereo that doesn't have a CD or tape slot just a screen. It is connected to the internet and runs a program like spotify or itunes on a touch screen. Primarily because CDs are becoming increasingly unpopular and online sales are rocketing. Introducing a CDless stereo that takes advantage of free music applications.

- Different ways of displaying speakers -

1)looking into how speakers can be incorporated into furniture so the stereo is infact nowhere to be seen but sound can be heard. Things like the SoundShelf tm are a good example of this with a speaker built into the shelf.

2)Or speakers built into pillows to eliminate headphones when someone wants to fall asleep to music

3) 360 Degree sound systems. Could be built into a light fitting to produce sound in every direction

4) Ultra thin speaker technology - look this up a recent development has allowed a speaker as thin as tin foil to be made

Let me know any more ideas you have or where i could take this project next.

Many Thanks

#2 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hi there I would like to hear your thoughts ideas and feedback on my final year project at university - Product Design Bsc.

My thoughts were on doing a project that looks into The Future of Home Stereo Design

Here are my intial ideas so far

- A stereo that doesn't have a CD or tape slot just a screen. It is connected to the internet and runs a program like spotify or itunes on a touch screen. Primarily because CDs are becoming increasingly unpopular and online sales are rocketing. Introducing a CDless stereo that takes advantage of free music applications.

- Different ways of displaying speakers -

1)looking into how speakers can be incorporated into furniture so the stereo is infact nowhere to be seen but sound can be heard. Things like the SoundShelf tm are a good example of this with a speaker built into the shelf.

2)Or speakers built into pillows to eliminate headphones when someone wants to fall asleep to music

3) 360 Degree sound systems. Could be built into a light fitting to produce sound in every direction

4) Ultra thin speaker technology - look this up a recent development has allowed a speaker as thin as tin foil to be made

Let me know any more ideas you have or where i could take this project next.

Many Thanks

I would say do some very serious research before you get into this, and if this is your final year project think "This project is going to showcase all of the skills I learned in school" Is a stereo really going to give you a project to showcase in depth research and needs finding? Human factors? Innovation? Model making and validation?

Just as I started to read I started thinking "Well they already have internet radio, boxes that connect to Pandora, etc". They have speakers that you can build right into your walls, putting something in a pillow just sounds like a bad idea (you still are going to put something hard inside of something soft, why not just have sound coming from an external source on a headboard or end table?

Ultra thin speakers - they already come pretty darn small, many are available wireless, and I don't think a reduction in thickness will really benefit an end user, even though it may lend itself to some slick Bang and Olufson design.

Personally I would suggest picking a final year project that focuses on a user group that you can actively research and validate during your final year. Maybe it's a senior citizen, a fire fighter, people with disabilities, etc. It doesn't necessarily need to save the planet but a good designer should show how they solve problems. Hiding my stereo isn't a problem, and certainly not one that should take you a semester to solve.

I also had a tough time picking a project my final year. I bounced around between a couple of bad ideas because it was something I really WANTED to do, not something that would yield a good portfolio piece to showcase my talent. I would say talk to your professors if you need some additional guidance, they can probably help.

#3 waikit

waikit

Founder & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • At:Speck Design

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

Agree with Cyberdemon. It is too early to come up with solutions, based on some quick observations or findings.
Perhaps you can try to shape the future context of home music entertainment (instead of 'stereo') with your own vision, by understanding the current context of it and envision how upcoming trends and developments (technological, social-cultural, economic, etc..) might influence the way the user interact with music in home in the near future.
Find out, in your opinion, what the user really wants in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store