Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Marzouk

Rendering Stl Imports In Solidworks

Hi all,

i have imported an STL file into Solidworks which i made in 3DS Max. The import is successful and there are no problems. I then save the file as a solidworks file. Then i try to render it, the part goes invisible....

does anybody know what i need to do to render an imported STL file in Solidworks? i am using version 2009. also everytime i try to open the solidworks file in Photoview it just crashes.

I hope somebody out there know how to overcome this issue.

Thanx.

Mark

an stl file will not work for rendering in solidworks as far as I know. In 3DS Max save the file as an IGES and import into solidworks and try rendering that

Guest bildder

Or using scan to 3D add-ins (Premium) in SolidWorks you can try to convert a mesh or cloud point into surface.

Mesh cannot be rendered.

Mark,

It is probably not the best idea to work with .stl files in SW or any other CAD package really (depending on the flavor of the day) as it is a triangle mesh. Imagine trying to apply textures to each of those surfaces....NIGHTMARE...

If you choose to continue to want to work with the .stl, make sure your import option is not set to "graphics body". As this will only make it just that, something to spin on the screen. The inherent nature of how 3D max handles the data vs SW is opposite sides of the coin.

So.... you have 4 options.

1) Get a mesh editing program like Geomagics or Rapidform. If this .stl came from a 3D scan or if you plan on working with a lot of meshed data, then these are really good at taking that file, fixing it (if needed) and turning it into something useful for CAD.

2) Get Solidworks Premium which will all the conversion of the .stl to something you can use. (The cost difference is about $2,000 to upgrade your seat.) Keep in mind it get's you more than just the Scan to 3D. There are some other tools in there that may or may not be worth it for your company. You'll have to decide that.

3) Get Rhino which has some mesh to NURBS conversion tools in it. Cost is about $1k

4) Onkio: can take pretty much any 3D file format and convert it to any other. depending on what version you get it can start at about $500.

Hope this helps...