Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick Madsen

Nmadsen Sketches

Guest Nick Madsen

Just completed some presentation sketches for my class. Take a look and let me know what you think. The scanner washed out the images a bit, which is too bad but it still gets the idea across. Please let me know how I can improve. You can see some more of my sketches here: http://www.nmadsen.com

post-33100-1257886907.jpg

post-33100-1257886917.jpg

Guest Taro

i really like how your pages are clean, actually it is good and bad.

when you are constructing something, especially for the first 2 pages, all you really have is the one 3/4 view you are displaying, so you really need to make that nice. Right now, it is not symmetrical, and it almost looks too clean like you never built it up and kind of just imagine it as you go.

Also, it would really help if you spend just a couple more seconds on making sure your verticals are verticals and your horizontals are horizontals. Even just a couple mm off is easy to tell.

And really understand the form, for example, the first page you did. You kind of placed lines where the shape is actually round, so in reality, there is no way there are going to be lines. If it is round, keep it round. If you intended it to be crisp, then you need to straighten the edge.

I encourage drawing with construction lines alot, because it is usually okay if they don't make that much sense to the viewer, since they are really light, and they are for your own purposes.

with those renderings of the forks and stuff, again, use the time to square them up, make sure they are parallel and verticle.

Your shapes are pretty off, just pay attention to that. And to actually create the feeling you want to get at, you can't just go and do a gradient. You need HIGH contrast.

Guest Nick Madsen

Thanks Taro,

The reason there are no construction lines on the first two sketches is because I used a 10% gray marker for the construction and when I scanned the sheet It washed out the lightest colors. Thanks for the input though, especially abut the verticals and horizontals. When your talking about the lines I placed in the first drawing are you talking about the lines that define the start and stop of the fillet? Im not sure what your talking about there. Ill be sure to push the contrast on the flatware though, thanks for your help.

-Nick

Guest Taro

it would be a really good practice to do your construction with the pen you use to draw too, that way, you know how to draw light and how to draw dark.

and what im saying is

asdasd.jpg

where the red lines are, those lines shouldn't be there.

I disagree, i dont see why those red lines cant be there.

I would have put lines there to show that the shape is curving at that point.

It is a good way to show a curved, usually filleted surface.

Guest Nick Madsen

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I intentionally put those lines and the start and end of the fillets to further define the form. Its a style decision I guess, I think it helps

a few sketches of flatware... I changed up the style of the knife in the perspective sketch so that it no longer looks like a shank. I didnt think that would be a style people would appreciate when sitting down for dinner.

post-33100-1259265576.jpg

Guest Taro
I disagree, i dont see why those red lines cant be there.

I would have put lines there to show that the shape is curving at that point.

It is a good way to show a curved, usually filleted surface.

no way, the lines could be there as construction lines, but from the look of that sketch, it is a refined version. I think when its curved, the edges will already show that its curved. Adding the two lines will only confuse the shape.

I really just don't think those lines should be there, it's not helping with the visual, and its not really part of the design (i think).

@nick

I think one really quick way to immediately boost the quality of the sketch is to use a ruler when you are writing those words and drawing the background and stuff.

Rendering wise, I kind of think your handles feel really sharp. When we compare the handle to the fork or the knife, it almost seems to be like the handle cuts better.

btw, can i ask why its called typoon? It is suppose to be a really wild dinner? or is there another story behind it?

Guest Nick Madsen

note taken on the writing, the words did get a little wild and out of line.

the handles on the utensils have a higher contrast because they occupy more mass, and curve around similar to a cylinder. The flat portions of the flatware have less contrast because light is just reflecting off of them instead of all the way around them. The Typhoon name comes from the angled/curved sections of the utensils that i thought resembled the wings or arms that come off of a hurricane or typhoon.

Again thanks for the input

Guest Nick Madsen

Night Dragon Motorcycle

Wheels are a bit off, They are so tricky... practice

post-33100-1261486464.jpg

Guest Nick Madsen

Not happy with what I did with the shadow, I guess its a levitating key... makes it easier to find though!

post-33100-1261753188.jpg

I would suggest take one sketch and sweat over it again and again, and you will improve. You could take the green bike and work more details on it, have a look at proportions like the rear wheel size, gas tank. Lines also need to be improved, they look too toy `cast`.I have the same problem. remember you can`t train much your hand, but what can you train , is your eysight and vision.( well if you could train your hand, then professional car designers would draw ellipses in single swooshes).:)))

Guest Nick Madsen

My latest studio project has me designing decorative wall tiles. Its kinda a similar idea to Mio's wallpaper: http://www.mioculture.com

ours though, are to be sand casted in concrete and are only 6x6. We are to create a mold of our design out of foam that we will then use to make the impressions in the sand. Our final submission requires us to have a series of 6 compleated tiles (2x3). Below are a few of my sketches, the first one is a photo of a singular tile (the far left and right sketch on the desk) and the following sketches are the tiles as they would appear in the final submission of a 2x3 series.

post-33100-1263744452.jpg

post-33100-1263744459.jpg

post-33100-1263744471.jpg