Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
whatizhisname

Parting Line And Surface For Tool Split

Hi Everyone ...

I'm on Solidworks 2007.

Having this problem where the parting surface ends up overlapping.

Resulted in this jagged sketch in order to create core/cav.

Can anyone figure out what I could do to fix this?

i reckon some where I missed out some surfacing steps?

Thanks

GooseNeck.zip

Guest under-dog
Hi Everyone ...

I'm on 2007.

Having this problem where the parting surface ends up overlapping.

Resulted in this jagged sketch in order to create core/cav.

Can anyone figure out what I could do to fix this?

i reckon some where I missed out some surfacing steps?

Thanks

Be a bit more specific. 2007? There are a lot of softwares out there.

Not sure what you mean by jagged other than you showing Sketch22 as a reference?

Parting Surface2 resolves fine in SW2007 sp5?

I can only think that you may want the surface to be a simple rectangle with the parting line cutout?,... instead of the 4.5mm perimeter surface?

Since the face is planar it's fine.

Sketch 22 is like a random sketch w/o dimensions to fit within the space of the parting surface of 4.5mm perimeter surface. It splits fine and I have to extrude it back into a solid block with proper dimensioning for the core/cavity inserts. Is this normally how you would do it for tool split in a part like this?

Yes. I thought that normally the sketch 22 would be a simple rectangle for a planar parting line.

Why do I get error when I increase the parting surface to 4.8mm? It says it can't knit surfaces together? There seems to be some kind of overlapping surfaces.

Hope this helps you understand what i'm confused about ... i'm just learning as I work on this tool split.

THANKS! :)

Guest bildder

In my opinion standard parting surface in this case in not best choice.

Hide or delete existing parting surface, in the same plane create a new planar surface and trim it with one of these saved in cavity or core folder.

I resolved this manually, a result is below:

post-16124-1256195559.jpg

BTW.

There are not drafts (1 deg.) for each faces, and you should use probably interlock surface. If you don't need model interlock surface, faster you can get core and cavity using indent feature.

Hi Pavel,

Am I correct to say that firstly I need to get the parting lines in a closed loop using split lines (whether in flat plane or different curved planes or offset planes). Then create automatically using parting surface or in this case its easier to create a parting surface manually (using extrude and then trim off the solid into 2 surfaces) and finally adding it into the parting surface folder.

The draft angles are minimal @ 1deg except for the end area. Have modified it.

What is interlock surfaces and Feature - Indent?

What happens when you create the parting lines? 2 surfaces are created with respect to the parting lines right?

Guest bildder

Sorry, I've got a SW 2009, you cannot open my files.

I understand, firstly always you can try use automatic tools. But sometimes better is using manually created surfaces, trimed etc.

The lock, in SW called interlock surfcaes is very important, because both pieces: core & cavity should move parallel to pull of direction. That protects mould process.

and my example:

post-16124-1256212240.jpg

The other thing- indent feature is similar to combine (subtrcat) feature. I like it, because subtracted body is not removed, and can use that once more.

post-16124-1256212217.jpg

oic bilder ...

Interlock might be good for the tooling but it's extra machining and materials. Interlocks can be placed on the mold base itself or actually that's what guide pins and bushes are for already isn't it ?

Can you attach the files for reference?

I could get someone to open it up for me to look thru how the interlock option and indent command works. The commands are available in SW2007 as well.

Thanks.