Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nickallen1984

Linux Or Windows 7

Guest nickallen1984

My Dell inspiron 1720 is getting full of junk and starting to slow down.... it is time once again to format it and start fresh again.

I am interested to try a new offerating system and have heard a lot of good things about Linux from my South African cousins (Linux is really big out there). At the moment i am running a patched Beta version of windows 7 which i have been using for about 6 months (it's loads better than Vista btw). Now seems like a good time to format the hard drive with the official release of Win 7 on thursday - i can get a legit copy and not feel so bad...

Does anyone use linux here - and is it any faster for CAD/Illustration programs (I use solidworks 2008, and CS3 mainly), and is it easy to get the hang of? or should i stay with Windows 7?

Any help would be awesome. (and before you say 'change to mac', i'm won't (can't afford it yet..... bloody credit crunch!)

thanks

My Dell inspiron 1720 is getting full of junk and starting to slow down.... it is time once again to format it and start fresh again.

I am interested to try a new offerating system and have heard a lot of good things about Linux from my South African cousins (Linux is really big out there). At the moment i am running a patched Beta version of windows 7 which i have been using for about 6 months (it's loads better than Vista btw). Now seems like a good time to format the hard drive with the official release of Win 7 on thursday - i can get a legit copy and not feel so bad...

Does anyone use linux here - and is it any faster for CAD/Illustration programs (I use solidworks 2008, and CS3 mainly), and is it easy to get the hang of? or should i stay with Windows 7?

Any help would be awesome. (and before you say 'change to mac', i'm won't (can't afford it yet..... bloody credit crunch!)

thanks

Solidworks and CS3 will not run on Linux. So that should give you your answer.

Guest nickallen1984

Ah!

thats made my decision much easier.... haha - as i said, i know nothing about linux!

thanks