Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

The Dorian Gray

Here you can see a pencil sketch. At first I draw the general idea, then add ellipses to determine the main volume of mass and most importtantly its slope direction( which you probably consider nonsense). After that I will modify the design itself drawing out proprtions from main volume of mass. Here is exploratory initial sketch for Buell EBE Jarod bike.

post-28725-1257597207.jpg

here you can see the first lumps of clay being attached to Dorian Gray. I plan to finish it somewhere in next april or may as it will have extreme amounts of surface work.

post-28725-1257597724.jpg

Guest DietDope

thats fine , finally some sketches !

about the lunara :

if those are the first exlorations of form , i would consider them too detailed , you are playing with nuances and details more than with main volumes and the like .

for example if you want to design a bmw 3er limousine , you could try out different variations : one more like a coupe , the other one in a standard limousine shape and probably even a hatchback .

about the bike :

i do not think that the slope direction of masses is nonsence , i makes quite a bit of sense to me - but i do not take it into consideration directly on the paper

what kills this sketch is the perspective and the infantile linework , but thats just a matter of practice .

i agree with the guy a few posts above that you have a thourough understanding of things that the design's perception by the viewer is influenced by , and your are able to give very detailed comments on other ppls concepts as i noticed in tudorian livius thread .... but it sometimes sounds like having dirty sex with a car ...

lets just call sketching the "theoretical" part of visualization and sculpting the "practice" ... if youre good at sketching you can test out all the principles you stated in one of your threads , see how they relate to eachother and THEN you can get busy with that modelling clay .

regards , max

This is Raphael Sanzio Coupe. As you can see I started it with pencil sketch and then started to go over with Sketch pro. It is 20 percent done. I will work on it soon. . With such a venerable name at stake,I just don`t have rights to fail with this one.... :)))) YOu can not stop LOVE:)

post-28725-1257615651.jpg

Guest Taro

Doesn't seem bad at all, I still don't like the design but that's just my taste. The only thing I would suggest now is spend that time on rendering to producing more form. On ur first page, u had 3 forms all perfectly aligned on the page.

You should try to use variety of sizes and different perspective to build more interests to the page. Those kind of obvious perfection in layout works with text, but not with pictures.

Aim for maybe 5 ideas a page?

Raphael Sanzio. 24 per cent done. I am trying to define the way elements find comfort comparatively to each other thickness. I also observd that roof rail thickness is very dependent on its slope and proposed strength the cage needs to withstand. seems that all elements are interwined.

post-28725-1257715556.jpg

Progress on Raphael Sanzio Coupe. About 40 percent done. Now I am drawing options for sideview mirrors. The coyote emblem incorporates letters R and S..:))

post-28725-1258218117.jpg

Alittle progress on Lunara sedan. The coupe version will be called Lunaro. The series will also include wagon. and maybe somewhere later an SUV.

post-28725-1258218419.jpg

Guest Taro

for that red couple, i think top left would work the best with the whole coupe look, especially when the front of your car is pointy, your mirror could match that element too.

Guest Plastizitaet

advanced boy... you just dont have any structure in your way to work and your linework is simply annoying, though you have some approaches of good lighting.

Not everyone is good at drawing.

For example, graphics people can whip out packaging, layout, type, and colors out easily, and a finished one at that.

While the preliminary sketches they do of the package may be out of perspective, ugly or completely unreadable.

For them, being able to draw well, or sketch wel,l isn't important for them.

Pure speculation...

On that note, its possible that advanceboy is more of a sculptor, a modeler.

Where his passion and skillsets are better tuned in those areas.

He may not work in the traditional way, we most do.

But it is possible, that sketching for him, is just a shorthand way of getting the basic idea of the design for his sculpt.

Where alot and most of the design and work is done on the model itself.

Going back to graphic designers, specifically package designers.

I have noticed that they work in similar ways. Their sketches are extremely rough, with perspective not even properly grasped, and not all design elements are shown on the sketch. However, they do all their "designing" and work on their computers, work and change things as they go along.

Guest Plastizitaet
Not everyone is good at drawing.

For example, graphics people can whip out packaging, layout, type, and colors out easily, and a finished one at that.

While the preliminary sketches they do of the package may be out of perspective, ugly or completely unreadable.

For them, being able to draw well, or sketch wel,l isn't important for them.

Pure speculation...

On that note, its possible that advanceboy is more of a sculptor, a modeler.

Where his passion and skillsets are better tuned in those areas.

He may not work in the traditional way, we most do.

But it is possible, that sketching for him, is just a shorthand way of getting the basic idea of the design for his sculpt.

Where alot and most of the design and work is done on the model itself.

Going back to graphic designers, specifically package designers.

I have noticed that they work in similar ways. Their sketches are extremely rough, with perspective not even properly grasped, and not all design elements are shown on the sketch. However, they do all their "designing" and work on their computers, work and change things as they go along.

yeah that might be true, but look at his "sketches". you can see that there is a lot of work in everyone of them.