Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

The Dorian Gray

Guest DietDope

although is appreciate your creative lyrical output , lokilabs , i do not consider above post mentionable as "constructive criticism"

regards , max

Guest lokilabs

Thought I could put above in gest

Considering the time we have spent

Providing feedback and tallent from the best

Guest DietDope

I have done the deed. Didst thou not hear a noise ?

(shakespeare , scottish play , II/ii l.14 )

Guest lokilabs
I have done the deed. Didst thou not hear a noise ?

(shakespeare , scottish play , II/ii l.14 )

I do have to say I like your sketches dope.

By the way the sketch has the same wheelbase as the model floorpan, and as it is stil in process of foam-shaping,so it is easy to change it and adapt. Well the difference is that I can actually build the car, or the mirror I sketched, while a nice uberswoosh on an uberCAd , if not distinct , clear and nicely shaped, means nothing. For me computergames mean nothing.... While you concentrate on every line in my sketch that is not in perspective, with your dear permit, I will concetrate on actually buiding well-balanced shapes.... ;)

That works for some people but it can get expensive and time-consuming. The sketching and CAD modeling helps to lay out a well defined plan and approach for the product. I hope you don't think that 90% of our industry is merely playing computer games.

Just promise me you'll never get into architecture. I'd hate to be in a building that you designed/engineered as it was built.

Guest DietDope

if i understand that correctly a-boy, you kind of let sculpting substitute sketching ... well , thats not bad at all IMO , several artists didnt bother getting something 2-dimensional down and rather shaped their visions out of clay in the early stages . they were good as hell , tho , had no timeline in the neck and it wasnt too bad if the whole time was wasted --- design , product design and especially car design is a business - wasted time means wasted money , and if shareholders have to decide between efficiency and great art that nobody will ever notice , they are pretty likely to settle for the money .

what i want to say : ok , if you dont want to sketch out ideas ( which would bring your designs to a new level in terms of formal variety and relevance to the real life) then sketch your ideas out in clay ... not in 1:5 scale , but smaller ... basically sketch-size , so that they fit on a sheet of a4 paper .

personally i think that such big models restrict creativity WAY too much , especially if you do not sketch out ( if on paper or in clay or in jelly beans) your ideas .

you could try out a lot more proportions and shapes than on these too big 1:5 models . those sketch-models dont even have to be clean , have a look at degas' ballerinas or rodin's small sculptures .

but degas and rodin kicked some serious butt and were both incredibly professional in drawing , TOO .... so how about you ?

so let us see something basic , conceptual of this project in whatever form you want , but just let us SEE how the heck you settled for this specific idea you are currently trying to sculpt .

and plz , that poem writing is funny as hell to read , but you take it so @#$@#$ serious it makes ppl sick ... if there was just one grain of irony in it your threads would be twice as enjoyable than now .

regards , max

You will see the slow and steady formation of shapes once the clay gets applied. And I decided to build a large scale of the model for 2 reasons- firstly i want to shape very accurately with all the stampings in wheel arches , mirrors and subtleties of shape breaking surfaces. Secondly I will apply real headlights from ATV to add crdibility to the model. I still don`t know if they will be fit enough to create superintegrity like the one observed on Cadillac Converj concept. I will also form my own design of wheels. and small wheels would be too hard to shape precisely. As to poetry it is a way to be different and practice English. I still don`t have the exact 100%design decided on the concept, but have finalized most of detail elements on it. The main thing will be to determine the exact location and slope of main visual mass and then grow the elements and principles around it. From top of the roof downwards.

Guest Taro

you can create "one" design in like.. how long has it been, 2 weeks?

I, as a product student can do one in about 40 min, trans students.. like 3 minutes?

I don't want to ruin your dream and all that, but modelling takes time, and why bother spending all that time to create a car that is not even designed correctly.

Afterall, all you are doing is shape exploration, not designing.

You don't neede ALOT of sketches, you don't need CRAZY sketching skill, but a reference and process are obviously needed.

I doubt if any designer can design any meaningful sketch in 3 minutes. One thing is to swoosh a nonsense advertisement type of poster like most of you do here ,another thing is to sense and find the well proportioned line that would scult for example the hood line of an Infiniti sedan. I have my principles, which I follow, . And if car designers can do a good design in 3 or 40 minutes, and all of you except me, learn so much from gurus here, how come that the whole forum is not afloat in abundancy of great car designs?

By the way `correctly` can be used for only math and laws of physics, sculpting is more about enjoyment you give yourself and people around.( within basic principles) Taro , show me your 3 or 40 minute sketches, or wait, better take them to GM Labs so the guys would swoon over them.

Guest DietDope

it's about having ideas dude , knowing why to decide for which idea is one of the most important aspects of creativity .

a doodle can be an idea , everything can be an idea , but it is not enough just to think about the shape and be able to see it in front of your inner eye , you have to be able to show it to other people ... thats called communicating form ... but yeah , of course , we could just as well make a 1:5 model and show it to them , and they would probably understand the form as good as in a professional sketch or even better . But the point is that your 1:5 model takes 500 hundred times the time of a nicely worked out sketch ?

well , ok , then youre finished with exactly one idea ... and your boss , lets say head of design GM , says :

" oh , well dude , i appreciate your effort , but that greenhouse/body ratio and placement could just be pointed a bit more towards a gran tourismo "

what do you do then ?

make another 1:5 model which occupies you for another month or so ?

i'm curious what school you are at ? bc in every part of art you are usually tought to sketch your ideas out and then get going with the final painting or sculpture .

regards , max

ps : ah , btw , thx loki

Currently I am at no school at all as I have finished University and . I finished art school about 8 years ago. I make the foam approximate form, then picture it, print it out and then tune elements to it or slightly change the shape. Clay modeling will allow me to play with nuances in slopes etc. I believe that Acura,for instance, has reached grandesse thanks to carefully sculpting clay models and working carefully with nuances and proportions., ditto Infiniti or Renault.

Guest Bowl of Soup

Hmm. I think a lot of people are underestimating Mr adv's skillset. I noticed quite a significant critique of the maclaren post.

If anyone has read about people like Santiago Calatrava Valls, you will find that there is a significant amount of effort that goes into testing ideas and materials since you need to be able to understand the limits of these if you are going to design responsibly in form.

I often find that at the end of the day a quick test is worth a million words read to confirm to myself that I am on the right track. But then again, I don't spend my spare time cadding, I spend my spare time sculpting, that's just me.

Cheers.

Guest Taro
I doubt if any designer can design any meaningful sketch in 3 minutes. One thing is to swoosh a nonsense advertisement type of poster like most of you do here ,another thing is to sense and find the well proportioned line that would scult for example the hood line of an Infiniti sedan. I have my principles, which I follow, . And if car designers can do a good design in 3 or 40 minutes, and all of you except me, learn so much from gurus here, how come that the whole forum is not afloat in abundancy of great car designs?

By the way `correctly` can be used for only math and laws of physics, sculpting is more about enjoyment you give yourself and people around.( within basic principles) Taro , show me your 3 or 40 minute sketches, or wait, better take them to GM Labs so the guys would swoon over them.

why would I want to take it to a GM lab? and if I do, I'm sure me sketching will be much more productive than you modelling. Just think about it, you come up with 1 design (i don't care if it is the best or the worst, lets leave that part out for now), and by that time, I have maybe 50 or 100 ideas and forms already.

And come on man, you don't really think you are designing a whole car by yourself in the real world right? your ideas are only the 2 cents to the actual final form. It takes many many ideas and many different professions lol. So.. when you produce 1 idea, i got 100 of them to choose from, do you still think GM lab will pick you?

I am not even saying you shouldnt be modelling, but you should at least have some sort of process of ideas before you actually get into it.

so... please man, i'm starting to think you are just saying all this because you can't draw.

Actually i didn`t want to show you the process of sketching, but so be it, here you can see how I start from pen sketch then slowly modify things to my pleasure. here you can see Chevrolet Lunara in its initial exploration stage. I do not know when I can finish it as I am busy.

post-28725-1257596778.jpg