Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
cash68

Adjust Pencil Opacity In Sketchbook Pro?

I recently upgraded from Sketchbook 2008 to Sketchbook 2010, and overall it's a great upgrade. However, I noticed that the opacity for the pencil, when you make it's brush/tip size much larger, becomes a very "soft" grey pencil. On the old one, it would get larger, but it wouldn't become less opaque. Is there a way to revert to the "old" pencil?

Thanks!

I recently upgraded from Sketchbook 2008 to Sketchbook 2010, and overall it's a great upgrade. However, I noticed that the opacity for the pencil, when you make it's brush/tip size much larger, becomes a very "soft" grey pencil. On the old one, it would get larger, but it wouldn't become less opaque. Is there a way to revert to the "old" pencil?

Thanks!

The behavior should not be any different. If I increase my SBP2010 pencil to as big as it goes (14B) I still get a black line.

If you're getting a soft gray, it sounds like the pressure sensitivity isn't registering you as pushing down all the way. Try upping the sensitivity in the control panel and the stylus responsiveness to MORE in SBP.

Thanks!

The behavior should not be any different. If I increase my SBP2010 pencil to as big as it goes (14B) I still get a black line.

If you're getting a soft gray, it sounds like the pressure sensitivity isn't registering you as pushing down all the way. Try upping the sensitivity in the control panel and the stylus responsiveness to MORE in SBP.

Nope, that isn't it. I can push as hard as possible and the pencil is still NOT opaque, you can hit it again and it gets darker. The larger the tip, the more obvious that the pencil line isn't opaque. I attached a screenshot of the largest pencil setting, pressing as hard as possible, with two lines. Notice how soft it is, as well as how not opaque the line is.

post-8137-1255624642.png

Ahh. I think thats not because they changed the brush settings, but rather let all the brushes get larger. I think the effect is the same/not noticable when small, but when blown up the softness is more prevalent.

There is no way to change the default brush, but you can easily create a custom pencil and then adjust the settings to your liking (you probably want to up the opacity to 100%), then reduce the roundness since the default pencil isn't spherical.

You are correct sir! Got a response from Autodesk just now:

"There has been one change in the pencil that does affect the results you see. We increased the maximum brush size so that you can scale the pencil up to 14 pixels… before it could only go up to 5 (4B, I think in the slider).

Anyhow, to get the results you desire from the “old” pencil, I really recommend making a custom brush.

Just click on the ‘create New DIY brush’ at the bottom of the brush palette and make a pencil. This way, you can open up the brush properties and jack up the opacity to the level that you desire. It also exposes all the parameters of the brush, so you can play around to achieve effects beyond just size and opacity.

Let me know how it works for you."

You are correct sir! Got a response from Autodesk just now:

"There has been one change in the pencil that does affect the results you see. We increased the maximum brush size so that you can scale the pencil up to 14 pixels… before it could only go up to 5 (4B, I think in the slider).

Anyhow, to get the results you desire from the “old” pencil, I really recommend making a custom brush.

Just click on the ‘create New DIY brush’ at the bottom of the brush palette and make a pencil. This way, you can open up the brush properties and jack up the opacity to the level that you desire. It also exposes all the parameters of the brush, so you can play around to achieve effects beyond just size and opacity.

Let me know how it works for you."

You should also be able to put that custom brush on your marking menu I think, if you want to access it regularly.

I have a couple of questions also referring to Sketch pro. I use brush a lot and when scrolling with a mouse to change its width the smallest size is 2, yet the next size in scrolling is 3.8. So I have to use the small buttons to jump in between. Another question is about the opacity. Seems that the opacity of light colours has a strict intensity change starting from 1 12 and up. Until I hit 12 the colours seem even not to appear, and then bang, opacity is too much( when using thin pencil. I also noticed that I can not use markers for colouring background as their size is limited. Maybe I misinterpret something?

I have a couple of questions also referring to Sketch pro. I use brush a lot and when scrolling with a mouse to change its width the smallest size is 2, yet the next size in scrolling is 3.8. So I have to use the small buttons to jump in between. Another question is about the opacity. Seems that the opacity of light colours has a strict intensity change starting from 1 12 and up. Until I hit 12 the colours seem even not to appear, and then bang, opacity is too much( when using thin pencil. I also noticed that I can not use markers for colouring background as their size is limited. Maybe I misinterpret something?

If you want to change the brush in small values just use the brush slider or hold B then drag left or right to resize the brush.

I don't understand your question about opacity. Are you using a tablet or a mouse? If you are using a mouse, then there is no pressure sensitivity and therefore your opacity is always the maximum value you have set. Markers have a limited size but it is larger in 2010 than in previous versions. Either way, the marker represents something realistic. In real life a marker tip is only 1cm wide, so using it larger than that isn't going to help you unless you are working at very high resolutions.