Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buff

Your Critique Please

Guest Buff

I have a product about to go to tooling and would like your critique about the design

I would like to ask for your honest and brutally critical opinion of the product below

The product is actually a small waterproof case to put your 'blipper' stye car key in or anything else small enough to fin inside the 2.2cm x 10.8cm x 4.4cm case.

the silver bar with the oval hole is designed for you to atach to a lanyard/keyring etc.

The is another metal ring inside to tether your key to.

The cap is tripple sealed against water ingress and will float even with a key inside.

In case it isnt obvious from the rendering the black surfaces are rubber.

There is a belt loop at the rear (not shown) for attaching to your surf leash/boyancy aid/climbing harness etc

My client is about to order the tooling and production starts in the new year, but before that financial commitment is made, I would just like to double check if the design is pleasing to the eye... so feel free to be a abusive as you like ;)

keebunga2.jpg

keebunga.jpg

FYI, the selling price is expected to be around £20 including postage and packing to anywhere in the world sold via the internet and deals with high street retailers are underway.

this came about from some research after a car was stolen when a surfer left his key under a rock. in one story four holiday makers had their hire cars stolen and where held liable by the hire company

Guest Nick Madsen

I like the look, only thing that I can think of that may become an issue is the size of the metallic "loop" that you use to attach the product to the user's key ring. It looks like it may be a pain to get it on the ring because its so small. It may be a struggle to get the ring of the key holder onto your keyring.Do you know what I mean? I like the fact that the ring looks substantial though, doesnt look like its going to become broken, its really anchored in there. Ive gone through 3 flashdrives that become somewhat useless to me because the ring always breaks off.

Guest Buff

Thanks Nick.

Yeah that ring was a real PITA.

Make it bigger or flatter in the dish the proportions start to get way off.

ventured into several solutions, sliding gate, swing gate, channle cut outs... all pretty naff.

In then end it's been size to just about fit a standard one inch diameter split ring (2,5cm for you metric youngsters ;-) )

more easy to fi arre the 'dog lead' style carabiner clips on the end of a lanyard, so part of the solution is to offer a branded lanyard with a sutable carabiner on the end

Guest bagaudae

agree with the "It looks like it may be a pain to get it on the ring because its so small.", but then again, i got no idea of the real size of it, so it may be nothing.

suposing u allready devoted time to all the technicalities, i will only talk about the look of the keebunga:

looks solid and trustworthy, even without having it on my hand. The overall shape is also pleasing and "generic" enough. I don't think i would pay 20£ for it, but then again, i'm not a beach/outdoors person, so i don't really have the need for it.

Guest Live Design

i like the look, it looks like a nice overall shape of a creature that could live in the sea if it had a few fins. my only concern is how much the small raised details rubber would erode over time. if its rubber the grip factor is there already and these might not be needed?

Guest Buff

Thanks Bagaudae.

The price is expected to come down after a while as retailers compeet (hopefully)

I'd expect to see it for under £15 after a couple of years... that's if it's sucsessfull at all

Thanks Live Design.

The ribs are 0.5mm wide and 0.25 mm tall, so yes, they are raterh fine, I initially had them at 1mm x 0.5mm but they looked too dominant tbh.

I have also tried it completely bank, but it then looks rather bland... this is perhpas the are which creates the most debate, or at least it has so far

The ribs where modeled in to resemble fish bones with the strap acting as a pseudo spine... dunno if it really works though???

The rubber is a TPV materal called Santoprene and "hard wearing" is one of its carictaristics

Guest Buff

Actually Live Design the asnswer is yes.

I had an earlier itteration which was like that in some ways. it had rubber pads on an ABS frame

KEEBUNGASIGNALYELLOW.jpg

KEEBUNGAPINK.jpg

KEEBUNGALIME.jpg

KEEBUNGABLACK.jpg

The reason this idea was abandoned was due to manufacturing complexity

Nothing stopping using a "pad" detail rather than a "beading" though

Thanks for the input

Guest Karl Baxter

it looks pretty cool. My only question is how do you open it? I'm sure it isn't difficult but I can't really tell from looking at it.

Guest Buff

photo of prototype taken on my client's iPhone earlier today.

photo.jpg

being a prototype from a 3D printer the surface finish isn't that great, but it gives some idea about the form and fit.

first production samples due in a couple of months time

From the first 2 renderings the bones appeared almost horisontal, which I didn't find very harmonious. But seeing the photo I see they are slanted, and incremental which I like and believe will do well with the surfing crowd. I can imagine this in Santoprene, it will be great. If you wanted to differentiate some elements you could specify different texture (blank/grind).

Just a though - what about an internal wire keeping the lid and the body from separating, without affecting outside form?

reminds me of a waterproof case I had years ago but this is much more attractive. good job!

the one I had was similar to the ones found here: http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Waterproof_Case.html

the one thing that most of these had though was an over-center latch for added security, does that strap shown on the prototype provide this kind of functionality?

good choice with the santoprene BTW it's got a great feel to it.

Guest Buff

The starp is real tricky as streching causes it to narrow due to the poissons ratio and the tension is not even throughout the band. there are currently three itterations of strap design. The one shown is more or less a fancy elastic band, which has been tested and actually proven to be very effective. The prototype shows the band in its elongated state, but in manufactur its about a quarter of the length and streaches. Naturally the text on the strap has to deform from tall and narrow, to the font shown... not easy.

I have another design whis is on a backburner s there are manufactuing and patent issues. In fact the idea of a circumnavigating band is subject to a patent pending and design registration of the product as a whole.

The thirsd itteration has a polyprop strap which the belt loop is formed by the hasp pulling the cap down under tension. This is intended for later release and aimed more for prolonged submersion than 'spray' type situations.

The shell is probably going to be ASA at this point, but there are plans to experiment with a 15 - 20% carbon short fibre fill

It's intended that the text will be 'polished' and the body will be 'bead blast' or 'light spark'