Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

Why Won't This Surface Offset In Solidworks?

Since I received absolutely great answers in my last question thread, I thought I'd try my luck at another one:

I've built a seemingly simple (sort of) surface in Solidworks, and I can't offset it no matter how I rebuild it.

I've tried to rebuild the surface in various different ways with, for example, lofts in various directions, boundary surfaces with more or less ribs for support and various sized gaps in both ends which I then fill. Nothing seems to work.

This is currently the my biggest gripe with SW, when it simply refuses to perform simple commands without telling you the reason why or how to fix it.

Even more amazing is that the preview works, as you can see in the attached screenshot:

post-526-1255539695.png

offset.sldprt.zip

Guest Carbon

Perhaps there's a too small curvature lurking somewhere.

You could try to diagnose the problem by trimming the surface with a plane until you can make the offset.

This is to locate where the problem is.

Then try to adjust or remake only the problematic portion.

But yeah easier said than done.

Sometimes offsetting fails because when you offset the resulting surface intersects itself.

How far are you trying to offset it? Can you try breaking it into multiple patches and seeing if those will offset?

must be something with the stichin. i offseted each patch at time and it offseted fine. otherwise it didn't.

i offseted 10mm out, here's the file:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...6TStCTWxFQlE9PQ

Interesting that you found source of the problem, but not the actual location (if you know what I mean). Thank you!

Also interesting that for once, I managed to produce a surface where individual offsets could be stitched together again... 90% of the time when I try to do that, they intersect (for example, the faces in the thread I linked in my first post can't be offset individually).