1. 1. Your idea about SILRER?

• Perfect
    • Nice Job
    • Good
    • Not Bad
    • Bad
    • Absurd

Guest anesium

Its a sick rendering man, take it easy. But in my opinion the adjectives I used pretty accurately describe your design. Why beat around the bush?

Your right though next time i post I will describe in further detail what I like and don't like. I admit my post was not the best or most purposeful post.

I have to say calling some "jealous" for not liking a "design" comes across very childish to me.

Guest ChrisDuncan
Do you like this car?

The overall proportions are okay except the front edge is a little high, the nose needs to slope down more.

You will never see light buckets like that on a real supercar, the recessed headlights/turnsignals. They are not aerodynamic at all, like bucket air brakes catching the wind. They need to have clear covers smooth with the surrounding body. (look at the Enzo in the thread)

The wheels are nice except the hub area is too small it will be weak from an engineering standpoint. The thing about the lights and wheels, form follows function.

Some of the edges are a little sharp, maybe this is just personal preference, like the Z4.

The big side duct (front fender/door) is on the busy side. The rear quarter duct looks really good, the front one should look more like that.

The design just looks a little too cluttered with all the ducts. Don't take it personal, this is just my observation from being involved with cars all my life. And it may be your design, since it's just for a game, is to attract a certain demographic in which case it's all good.

You are very talented and this is a nice car, IMHO it just needs a little more refinement.

Guest spook
Don`t you have a dream of building a real car. to feel the paint covering it. feel the clay in hands and how the shape is being created?

You do know that almost all professional clay work is done by automotive scupltors and not the designers themselves right? In many studios the designer is not allowed to even work on the clay (particularly the full size) because it is the scupltors role and not theirs. At the end of the day the final design of a car is not just the designers, but the designers, scupltors, and digital sculptors. It's the Alias jock who will be handing off final surfacing to production, and that guy is never the same guy who created the first sketches.

or do you have some other grandiose idea of how car design works in the real world?

I the real world I've experienced it's not like this. Every company is different.

Guest spook

Looks very cool as a game car. In terms of you modelling I can see a few areas where there are surface continuity issues. The most obvious is the centre line where you mirrored the spoiler. So maybe not production quality surfaces, but good enough for a game no doubt. What software did you use to model this?

Thanks ChrisDuncan,

- What do you mean by front edge?

- About nose i am not sure yet!

- You are right about headlights.

- You are right again about wheels hub.

And i'll try to improve some details as soon as possible.

Thanks spook for comment.

This is better,still the hood is too busy. I guess eyes can tolerate only one single robust element on a surface or 2. When it is too busy it is cumbersome. Decide on the front lights. Decide how exactly the underneath of the bumper looks. Don`t be afraif to erase things even if you have spent hours creating them. Just for sake of experiment take the same color as the hood and clean half of elements and openings away> you will be surprised what you see.

Guest ChrisDuncan
- What do you mean by front edge?

- About nose i am not sure yet!

front edge and nose, same thing. The profile of the car looking from the side. the front needs to be low for aerodynamics and for looks.

Compare the front of the Ford GT, very low, to the new retro Camaro, which is too high in the front IMHO.

Well, the front doesn`t need to be low, all it needs to be approportioned to the rear and its height. IF you look at Ford GR1 concept, you can see that the hood line and nose is very uplifted. Simply at high speeds the hood will create little downforce.in your first rendering the front wheel looks either too small or the car looks unproportionally long. In your second rendering the wheels are either too small( because I can easily put 4 radiuses of a wheel between front and rear wheels, which would be unusual for cars. ( not that impossible) Besides the visual mass looks disproportional because of defective roof rail where the a=pillar is. When you do changes to a car, for example lengthening it, it also affects visual mass, and thus you need to work on roof rail as well. To my mind the roof line in your second rendering needs to come a bit forward and have bit more steep downward sloping. Try to find which will be the main facet on your side of a car, and then simply implement around it the principles of continuity, paralellness, lensing and 90 degree tendency. Besides I have observed that external curves don`t tolerate angles less than 90 degrees. Simply speaking if your hood line at the front edge is at certain angle , the downward facet shouldn`t be less than 90 degrees. It can be more of course. Window lines can take any angles comfortably. And don`t draw thick rubber gaskets on doors, that is a language of poor -american fit and finish and execution. :))))))

Guest ChrisDuncan
Well, the front doesn`t need to be low, all it needs to be approportioned to the rear and its height. IF you look at Ford GR1 concept, you can see that the hood line and nose is very uplifted. Simply at high speeds the hood will create little downforce.

Not so much downforce, although that is a factor, but more looks. And it doesn't take very much, just a few centimeters.

the front corner as marked is too high and sharp, compared to the back corner which is more round. Maybe it's the fact that it's that sharp at the corner that makes the front end look too high.

compare the 2015 where the nose edge is above the level of the top of the wheels, to the GR1 you mention which is below the top of the wheels to the Ferrari which is well below the tops of the wheels.

(Mohammad, the bolt circle on most wheels is about 120mm, just FYI.)

On the 2015 note also the slope of the hood at center does not get steeper at the front

post-23105-1258339598.jpg

On the GR1 look at how the slope of the windshield is close to the slope of the nose, and the slope steepens at the front

post-23105-1258339614.jpg

The Ferrari is also narrower at the nose, the front side corner is very round

ferrari-enzo-2.jpg

Guest ChrisDuncan
Well, the front doesn`t need to be low, all it needs to be approportioned to the rear and its height.

here's an example of a car that is too high in the front, it looks like a brick going down the road. Granted the entire design is blocky but it still could stand to be just a couple inches lower in the front.

post-23105-1258341405.jpg

compare this to a concept of the same Camaro, now why didn't they get closer to this?

post-23105-1258341410.jpg

IMHO you are hurt from the start if you are designing front engine, the hood is always going to look too long. Mid engine cars look the best, that configuration is best from a performance standpoint, and again, form follows function. You can't design the best car ever, it's already been done. (It mimics the female form) Look at where the front edge of the nose is, about proportionally the same level below the tops of the wheels as the rear edge is above. What really makes this design work though is overall height, it's very low, it makes a Corvette look like a truck.

post-23105-1258342829.jpg

to Chris Duncan. Sorry, I couldn`t agree that the slope on Camaro is too uplifted. it actually depends on the agression how the hip line slopes. And if you follow the hip line throughout the body, it is consistent with the hood slope. The front fender uplift is well proportioned to the rear fender uplift. Personally I think designers at GM are world class, and at much better level than Porsche or Mercedes. I mentioned the 90 degree angle problem, if the connecting facets have less than 90 degrees it makes the design somewhat clumsy. look at Ford Gt40, you can see that the rear slope of trunk lid and downward facet has less than 90 degreees, which I consider a bit ugly. Observe how on front bumper the same thing happens, yet we can see at least 90 degree angle there, and it looks more natural to MHO. Anyway I felt tempted to modify Camaro a bit, just for fun. Incidentally have alook behind the Camaro :))))

post-28725-1258360431.jpg

post-28725-1258360455.jpg