Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pencil

How To Model This!

Guest pencil

I can model this chair no problem in SW. Trouble is it looks rubbish without the button upholstery. Anyone know how to tackle this one??

post-2174-1254909270.jpg

Guest bildder

Something like that you can find on SolidWorks gallery site, try to ask the author how did he model up that. It is possible using surface modeling... Do you need create a rendering or tech. drawings?

Capitonated-leather1_bebee5382991e41c9b235945f8240601.jpg_595.jpg

Guest bildder

And below is my attempt, created yesterday.

If you are intsrested, pls let me know, I can send that by email (file is too large to post here)

post-16124-1254991096.jpg

Guest BiBiQ
And below is my attempt, created yesterday.

If you are intsrested, pls let me know, I can sent that by email (file is too large to post here)

post-16124-1254991096.jpg

Hi,bildder.

Cool thing. i wonder how SWx to built that model.

Guest Phart

Looks very cool, maybe you write a tutorial on it, I think a lot of people will be interested! Great stuff!

Guest pencil

I tried a few times to apply the technique to the complex chair surfaces but in the end it beat me!! I think its beyond solidworks. I need to learn a new package. What would be the easist program to model this chair in??, that can get files inported/exported from solidworks??

Although it's possible with some work, I agree it would be painful in SW.

So,.. the alternative, imho, is Rhino3D... and, if you need more organic nurbs support,.. add T-Splines.

Guest bildder

Hi guys,

I reduced file size, so can post file below.

leather2.zip

I agree with Zxys, Sw is not best choise to model that, using Rhino or 3ds max you can do that faster and more precisely i think.

That's why I asked, if you have to do technical drawings or fully parametric model - SW is ok, but if you need create an image/rendering only - choose another program.

Guest Marc UK

Personally, I wouldn't use SWx or any NURBS / parametric modeller for this kind of modelling task, whose purpose is to present a visualisation of a chair design, not accurate part geometries. Therefore a better option would be to model it using almost any polygonal modelling software which would enable you to quickly model the chair frame and the effect of fabric upholstry that was natural and organic (with each diamond-tuck a little different, not so uniform and rigid). You could try Hexagon (sold by DAZ) which is a very good and affordable poly modeller based on sub-D's or go more upmarket to Modo. Once you have you 'visualisation model' you can then always export the geometry of the chair frame into Solidworks, refine the NURBS geometry and produce the manufacturing drawings. Job done!

Guest Levvy
you can then always export the geometry of the chair frame into Solidworks, refine the NURBS geometry and produce the manufacturing drawings. Job done!

If only it was this easy! could you elaborate on how you get your polygon geometry into solidworks?

Guest baum

Most you can export as an obj or stl. Of course they will not be "editable" and just an imported body. ZBrush is another good program to try for this.