Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gaile

3d Fur Surface

Guest Gaile

Hi all!

I am working on a project where I need to model a surface something like sheep fur or flokati shaggy rug.

Does anyone have experience in doing it in Rhino and rendering in Vray for Rhino?

The only way I come up with is to us a bump map with shaggy rug texture... but it doesn' give the perfect result. I want to have such a long fluffy hair look.

Any ideas?

Guest under-dog

I would start by trying to model a small patch of the texture you want. Maybe even 2 or 3 small patches that vary significantly enough. Then maybe try copying and placing these around your object.

There is a function in Rhino that will let you map an object to a surface so that may be a way to make your texture in flat and map it to a curved form.

I have a feeling that this sort of thimg will be a bit of a system resource hog no matter how you do it.

Curse you....:P

now I am going to have to go try this.

Guest under-dog

Tried it. Made a shag fur like texture and made abunch of copies. They would not boolion unionI am trying to flow them along a surface(dome). It is still crunching. I have a feeling that it crashed Rhino.......

Like I said syten resource intensive

Guest Gaile

Thanks. It seems it will take quite a bit... :)

In the worst case, Photoshop is always a solution :)

Regards :P

Guest Gaile

While googling on internet for some more tips how to do it, I found a really interesting stuff - RhinoHair plug-in. Tried it and it seems to work really nice... at least in my case. That's amazing how somebody has created such thing.