Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonfraz

My Pocket Sized Product Design Portfolio

Guest jonfraz

Hi everybody,

I've been a bit of a lurker on this forum but I thought it was finally time to post some of my stuff now that I've collated it into a portfolio!

I've been working on it for a few weeks now and it contains the best of my work so far:

http://issuu.com/jonfraz/docs/portfolio_cv_jonathan_fraser

I'm eventually intending to send it to UK product design consultancies, so the second half is mainly my additional skills & CV and not any interesting design work!

Also, this is my second draft and a major improvement on the first so I'm really interested to see if people have any further advice or recommendations.

Thanks!

jonfraz

Guest JelleT
I feel so unloved, no replies!?

:(

Okey here it comes then ;)

Front page:

I would not (add so much) text on the cover. The cover is supposed to be a teaser for what's inside. This is not very inviting. The backpage is much better ;)

Before I go to any further detail.. I'm confused... You studied Engineering but your portfolio is very very much focused on presentation skills (drawing and rendering). OK reading your first post it makes sense now.. the portfolio is for Industrial Design consultancies

So I'll continue,

Its good to show your project progression.. actually that's the main thing you will want to show. But try to capture 1 project in one view, you have it spread over 3 pages..

First project: Still don't know how it works and the text in the images is to small to read (yes I used the zoom function)

You've got enough renderings cancel a few and explain in chronogical order how it works.

Don't add the logo's of the software packages in an image.. it looks like its property of the firm. Just do something with the lay out that will make the reader understand you made it in SW or Pro E or what ever. Add it in your CV

Lamp project:

What does it do besides giving light?

In general if you say CAD Design, show CAD not a rendering. In my opinion a rendering could as well be realisation.

After this all consistency is lost.. I just started to get used to it..

Sketches are OK, the citroen is getting anoying they are not that different.. skip a few only show the best and join the 4 pages to 2 or even 1!

As off manufacturing experience.. this does nothing for me.. I see alot of company's but no projects or results. Same goes for presentation skills and excel modelling..

Make it specific for the company you are adressing it for!! If you want to apply for some excel job, show it.. else just leave it out?

Personal Details:

Why is there 5 pages? Couldn't you join it into one? Isn't there some work you could show more and do the innovation, cad, realisation again? Now you have it parted in School and Work, I think work is more important..

Activities and Achievements.. I guess they won't even read it.. to much text.

So.. hope you don't take it personally, I actually can see you got quite good skills but it is all to much. Try TELL (this does not have to be words) as much as possible WITHOUT an overload of images.

Hope this helps...

Guest jonfraz

Hi JelleT

First off, thanks a lot for your critique - I hadn't been able to get any feedback from anyone with a design background yet so I'm really grateful. I'd been looking at the thing for so long I couldn't evaluate it objectively - though I knew I wasn't entirely happy with it. In fact, I agree with you on nearly all off your points.

I'm thinking of doing away with the postcard size, which is a both a limiting factor in getting everything on one page and also results in the massive 'about me' section. That should sort a lot of the issues, so when I make a new draft I'll take all of your specific points into account. And I completely agree that saying more with less is the best way to go. I cut a lot of dead weight from my first draft, but I could still do with another cull of weaker material to make it more intuitive and less overwhelming.

My main difficulty is that my engineering degree hasn't resulted in a huge quantity of design focused material so I can't compete with ID grads on my sketching and CAD skills alone. I simply don't have as much experience. That's the main reason I have the front page text - it's there to highlight that I'm a different type of candidate and also out an early focus on my key strength, which is a Cambridge University degree. I'm not sure if you have any suggestions on how else I might do this?

Thanks very much again and I'm sorry I had to resort to forum whining to get a response!

Cheers

Jonfraz

Guest JelleT
Hi JelleT

First off, thanks a lot for your critique - I hadn't been able to get any feedback from anyone with a design background yet so I'm really grateful. I'd been looking at the thing for so long I couldn't evaluate it objectively - though I knew I wasn't entirely happy with it. In fact, I agree with you on nearly all off your points.

I'm thinking of doing away with the postcard size, which is a both a limiting factor in getting everything on one page and also results in the massive 'about me' section. That should sort a lot of the issues, so when I make a new draft I'll take all of your specific points into account. And I completely agree that saying more with less is the best way to go. I cut a lot of dead weight from my first draft, but I could still do with another cull of weaker material to make it more intuitive and less overwhelming.

My main difficulty is that my engineering degree hasn't resulted in a huge quantity of design focused material so I can't compete with ID grads on my sketching and CAD skills alone. I simply don't have as much experience. That's the main reason I have the front page text - it's there to highlight that I'm a different type of candidate and also out an early focus on my key strength, which is a Cambridge University degree. I'm not sure if you have any suggestions on how else I might do this?

Thanks very much again and I'm sorry I had to resort to forum whining to get a response!

Cheers

Jonfraz

To make a really abstract comment:

Do what's you, show you're creative but definitely know your way in engineering. The tough part is to show that in one image at the cover.. But like I said.. the backcover wouldn't misstand as a front.

As for the pocket size, it is your limiting factor. I myself have an A3 portfolio, It is rather inconvinient to walk around with.. but I only need it in Job interviews don't I? If that's the purpose, you want them to clearly see what you did.. That's why I got an A3 portfolio, although I didn't leave it square ;)