Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Giotto Concept( Reloaded)

Guest giorgio12358

what a nice ..... thing... is it made with concrete? what is it a conceptual art trash? :specool:

You can see the redone concept at the beginning of this topic. Don`t be shy, comment it, I still feel that there is some tension in the front bumper, and so far I didn`t add also fogligts, as I thought they would be a bit distarcting to the lightness of bottom part. Currently I am busy doing all the preparatory work for building a model for Dorian Gray concept. It will take huge amounts of time. Wheels alone will take some 1.5 months I guess. I might post some teasers for it later. Thanks:) I am also planning to sketch a Lunara concept for which I wrote a poem. here it is-

Its majestic glance, the silvery plated,stellar face

Was masked for a blink of an eye;

And sunk to a blasphemy by a crust of cloud to disgrace.

By its frost covered lips, the brass polished shield,

The moon nudged to avant-garde

And the chrome of the cloud chipped, the screen had to yield.

The cirrus and stratus wept the requiem of the lost;

Infected and paralyzed by the glossy venom

Their tears turned into snowflakes of the boreal frost.

Their tiny bodies, reflecting the narcissus of the moon,

Twisted down in the final dance

And an inch to the horizon of the sea they would swoon.

Waves of the ocean like vixen of fox

Were tumbling over each other bodies

In a careless snickering,tickling the snoozing rocks.

Their lips hissed some vitrious, teasing rhymes ,

With whipped cream on their mouths,

Their deeds were close to verbal crimes.

The moon seemed suspicously sweet, like wildflower honey,

It scattered thousands of guilders;

Near the horizon waves would hive for the money.

The solar son marching down from invisible stairs,

Took his nightly bath witha a satin robe,

Submersing the tip of it in naval affairs.

The contours soon blurred of the lunar prince,

As he fell asleep in melancholic lullabies

In the cradle beyond sealine, that mastered to convince.

the last morsels of light shaken from spruces,

distilled in a barely tangible mist

Bowed to a painter ,whose easel reduces.

And seagulls folded their arguments under their wings,

Obedient to the prevailing dominion,

the charcoal brush is sweeping, and the opaque it brings.

And naive were creatures, darting to the moon,

believing that warmth is hereditary,

Carrying heat from mother to son very soon.

The price for the judgement is always high,

Trembling in the cold by his numb, yellow eye,

The easiest way to believe, is often the way to........

/ By Advncdb/

Guest Taro

i hate to make this kind of judgement, but maybe designing is not a way for you. Your model making skill and your writing is obviously above the design department.

Designing actually is for me. And you will never convince me that giotto is a very bad design. it has proportions, continuity of lines, originality and all shapes are visible. So many of you have nice swooshes and wooshes of paintbrushes and ideal elipse slanting and what not, yet exact shape often is missing. Design to my mind is not about packaging, it is about melody of shape and if it is clearly understood and harmonious as to be perfectly transfered to moulds and real car. Your skills of perfectly depicting aluminum, chrome or material texture mean nothing to me. I aprreciate shape and originality that is not obstructed by function. I remember I asked for help if you could tell me how to apply layers in Sketch pro, and I didn`t get answer, instead I get ` designing is not for you`. If you were good at designing, you would simply put arrows to the faulty places I ,would try to either correct them or contradict. The simplest way to show me that you are a credible source, is actually not writing where you study , or bla bla, but simply posting your uberconcepts, so i could learn from them. Actually, if i was really clever, i would simply ignore you. ;)

Guest Taro

What you just said is basically the reason why maybe you shouldn't be a designer, but I am not going to argue if you could be one or not. Maybe you could, maybe you couldn't, it's all depended on your own thinking.

"how to apply layers in Sketch pro"

I already told you how to do it on both paper and computer lol. It is really not that hard to figure out man. Use the grids that you created as your first layer and work on top of that... or use it as your top layer with low opacity. I really really don't get what you are asking for.. lol

My only guess is that you don't really know how grid works, or how to create one. If you need help on that, people will help you out too.

"If you were good at designing, you would simply put arrows to the faulty places I ,would try to either correct them or contradict."

From how I see it, faults are everywhere. But you continously to pull out rather odd looking designs, even if everyone is giving you some helpful advices, you just choose to ignore them. For you, there is no such thing as taking crits, there is only 'correcting and contradicting".

"The simplest way to show me that you are a credible source, is actually not writing where you study , or bla bla, but simply posting your uberconcepts, so i could learn from them."

Don't learn from me, I am nothing to learn from. But I can give you advices and share what I am learning in school. What I know is in order to become a designer, there are steps. Even when you actually became one, there are steps. For instance, you don't seem to have a process of what is going on with your projects, instead, you have something that look like the final (not the look of a final, but you make it sound like one).

The very last advice I can give you is to open up your eyes and loose up that stubborness.

Do you know what is one way to show that no one really holds anything against you or your design? We are simply judging what is a good concept and what looks good, and perhaps what can you improve on. Take for example, no one criticized your helicopter model right?

Lastly (not to show off my school or anything but just letting you know), every good school is good for a reason. It is not just a name.

you will never convince me that giotto is a very bad design.

This line right here is why you will probably design all of your life, but never actually make it as a designer.

You can't take feedback - people did answer your posts, so either you have everyone on ignore by now, or you just don't read or care to take advice.

Not sure which it is.

Not to mention the way you've just described your self means you are an artist.

Maybe an "industrial artist" but an artist never the less.

Industrial Design is about blending form AND function. If you are simply pushing the form and then adding wheels so you can say it's a car, but at the end you're just painting and sculpting with no concern for reality, which is where the industrial designer exists.

Show me exactly which place in giotto would never be feasible in real life cars? like what? dfoors would not open or what? If you were designers you would speak of proportions, of design elements that adopt different shapes, cubes triangles or whatever. yet you are so vague, obscure and indirect that I don`t know what exactly to do. I have dismantled a lot of cars and I could built giotto a part by part assembling it from every aspect whether a roof line with stamped rail to join welded side panels with roof and then covering it with plastic , or I can build you the a-pillar the way factories do it. You are talking to me like there was no car at all, like the doors would not work, like the lights would noty give lifght, and as if the hood would be impossible to open. Maybe you don`t understand how the door handles work or what?I don`t see a single way your designs would be better.I take critics if it is pointed at places and things, then I can verify and correct myself, like someone last time said that the wheels were too far away from each other, so I agreed with that and redid the car. I doubt that you are good designers if you can`t even speak the language of design,. I will slightly change the front part, but one designer told ne that the side i of this car is great( Gm labs). He mentioned that I simply put too many elements which makes the car heavy on eyes and that I should adopt one style for one car instead of many.And i can take feedback if it relateds to the construct of the car , not obscure generalizations as `odd` a thing with wheels. When I comment your designs I hit exactly at the places of presumed faults. if faults are everywhere, give me just 5 , I will start with that. i will show you an example.

this is BMW, a car you probably worship, but I find mediocre. Here are the faults I find personally annoying.

1. the panel looks 2 dimensional, flat, as if jigsawed, the edges look sharp, unfinished. the place looks artificially attached and empty.

2. The display is square yet the adjoining panel is roundish, making it look unnaturally squeezed in, At least they should have made it dark colour so irt wouldn`t stand out.

3. the A/C controls look primitive, and the grey knobs even more, either they should make them from metal or chrome them to look similar to steering wheel panel. usually this class of cars would either have a seperate screen for ac controls, or there wouln`t be three bulging knobs like in some korean subcompact. The steering wheel design is also contradicting any design elements in the interior, as the spike of the wheel lean upwards, while nothing else does. As you can see the whole panel looks too simplistic and toy-like.

4. that definitely doesn`t look like a premium button.

post-28725-1255276631.jpg

as you can see the design here is not so convincing. the speaker shape is not in alignment with anything, looks as if hastily bought in a local shop. the door hndle look elegant ( the chrome sh..thing), yet the plastic line going above it kills it, as it is disrupted in god knows where, and looks as if barely touching the door handle rim. looks unfinished and squeezed in. The same goes to the grab handle which looks disrupitng the speaker shape. while speaker itself looks barely squeezed in front of dashboard. the door doesn`t have any continuity in door panels, making it look as if grabbed from other car. the alienation from dashboard is stressed even more by wood veneer which is on the door at one level while on the dashboard at other. The speakers in 1-series is even worse as it is partly behind the grab handle . the umbrella compartment looks elegant, yet is disrupted by huge black area of bulging out panles between the door and legspace cavity.

post-28725-1255277291.jpg

post-28725-1255277734.jpg

A you can see the 6 series loudspeaker has too thick plastic rim around it, and it is not submersed in the door panel making it look as if installed by a hillbilly, as again, the loudspeaker is not aligned to anything. probably they wanted to create an image of home-made hi-fi stereo sytems which usually lack workout in design as private companies tend not to have industrial stamping benches . This is what I want from you- pointing the faults, otherwise all you do, is make me feel bad about myself. You can study notes and history, but can`t study how to create a melody. The melody comes from within, all you can learn is how to better write it down, once it sounds.

post-28725-1255278231.jpg

Guest Taro

If car designing is about simply building something that looks like a car and can move (which.. you are pushing it lol), then I could of done that 10 years ago. Obviously, your car has most function of a car, but it doesn't have the look. Right now, it could be more of a tracked vehicle or some weird alien ship.

Again, everything is hard to say, but if one day you did become a designer (which I'll congrats you for sure). I will surely recognize those odd cars on the road.

"I have dismantled a lot of cars and I could built giotto a part by part assembling it from every aspect whether a roof line with stamped rail to join welded side panels with roof and then covering it with plastic , or I can build you the a-pillar the way factories do it"

please don't, waste of your time, and it hurts the eye. See what I mean by steps? you come up with 1 drawing, and you are so excited to make it into a model, because that is what you are good at right? Good model doesn't mean a good design.

and no, your car has no proportion and all that you said, UNLESS you meant it, but your drawing skill is not proportional to your concept.

Guest Taro

It is good that you give critics points on (really?), but you need to recieve all kinds of critics.

No one is going to first tell you straight on, your design is one ugly piece of crap, but they will say it looks a little bit odd and stuff. Instead of argueing them why it's odd, why not figure out why so many people think it's odd.

And for the examples you brought up, they are just interior stuff, some of their stuff are good, some are bad. BMW is not a guarenteed superior design, it is a guarenteed quality of the car. If you have some interior stuff, bring it up to let us see what you got?

i don`t see proportions being wrong. front overhang versus rear overhang- roof line height ,inclination, window size, wheel size and placement- hood height versus rear height. Where is the oddity? I don`t play with simply exxagerating wheel size and artificialy decreasing window size just to play sexy car design. I actually add elements to the car. And it is not that alien at all, if noticed it has some similarities to Mustang overall shape, it is not that everybody says its odd and ugly, at least side part is elegant to me. I don`t like my previous works, but this is not that bad. I don`t care, I have my standards, i am after Acura/honda/renault and Big3 concepts, as i find them biologically convincing designs( unlike most german cars) and i will follow in their style.You don`t have to like it. i don`t like porsche, you do. so where is the truth?Unless you speak of details , nothing can be proved,

Guest Live Design

advancedboy - i dont want this to sound too harsh, but you seem to have developed a bit of a god complex combined with a bad case of selective hearing. Theres a reason why the german cars look the way they do, its because the designers and engineers, of which there are dozens and not just one, have identified a market that their designs cater for, and they do this very well (recession aside).

What you have to remember is that you cant design a car in one sketch like you seem to be trying to do, it takes time, effort and a lot of experience. All the necessary steps such as research, exploration, engineering etc are obviously missing from your work. I sketch cars, but i cant design them.

Maybe in the future just label your work as sketches in the pursuit of getting better, anything more only serves to highlight the missing factors in your work. Your enthusiasm is great though, just make sure to be a bit more humble.