Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
advancedboy

Giotto Concept( Reloaded)

Lincoln Giotto exterior panels are made of polished zirconium and painted with semi-transparent turquoise color lacquer. the engine is rear mounted, and the front is occupied by batteries which go around the trunk box. What do you think?

post-28725-1255186857.jpg

By the way I desperately need someone to tell me how to work with layers , so I can make a grid of perspective, otherwise I am tired of this endless guessing. There are some issues I want to change in Giotto. I suspect that it doesn`t speak the same design language throughout. I also think the side molding under the doors is too thick and front part is somewhat blant so I will simplify the front but bend more metal on it. The rear wheel seems either too small or the roof line is too thick. Hope that you help. And I don`t take comments like- sucks, you are arrogant, etc..... I need help. I seriously want to be world class designer. So far I am worried about shape inconsistencies and perspective grid, not the sketching style itself, which I suspect is not primary in designing cars.

Guest lokilabs

Biggest issue with the two sketches for me is the perspective and design language. Both are very similar in shape using angular blocky forms. That might work for the truck potentially but for the lincoln....have you taken a look at what makes a lincoln a lincoln? Look at their shapes from first product conceived up to date. With regards to the perspective...I always start out with a cube and break it up based on center. Just sketch a bunch of cubes and take a look at draw through tutorials. those should help.

I would highly recommend downloading this video:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/pro...ve-Form-Drawing

As well as any of his others including how to draw cars.

Watching the behaviors and methods of construction in 2 point perspective in a video/lesson form will be infinately more valuable then just a text critique.

Right now your cars are almost being drawn from an Isometric view (no perspective, all points go seemingly in the same direction) also your proportions are just way off. The wheel is the foundation of a car drawing - in your second drawing you have no wheels at all (don't get into that habit) and in your first drawing you have way to much space in between the two wheels.

Remember that design drawing is all about scale. If you draw a box I don't know how big that box is. If you draw a box in a hand, now I can guess that the box is a few inches wide. - The same applys for a car.

If you draw a luxury car I know roughly how big the wheels are which means I can tell how big the car is. It also lets me realize when something is way too long or too short. This article describes this basic phenomenon and it applys to just about every car built in the past 60 years.

http://www.style4cars.com/?p=19

There are a LOT of resources out there that if you want to start improving you should start taking seriously.

Next, stop doing full renderings. Focus 100% on lines and line weight. Once you can draw a car with nothing more than a ballpoint pen, then worry about color and shading.

Guest Taro

First of all, understand the cone of vision and 2 pt perspective. Then just remember everything you draw should be inside that circle. Then what you can do is scan ur drawing of thr 2 pt perspective, then enlarge the areas in the cone of vision onto 8.5 by 11 n print it out.

There you have a fairly accurate grid as an underlay. There are better methods but this one should work fine.

Hmm, your design is like usual, very.. Special.

Do I draw the grid in a layer or in a background page and do I have to lock them ? Please, explain. I temporarily removed Lincoln rendering as it needs improvement.

Do I draw the grid in a layer or in a background page and do I have to lock them ? Please, explain. I temporarily removed Lincoln rendering as it needs improvement.

There is no "grid" in perspective construction. If you actually want to listen to help for once save up the $40 USD it costs to download that video and watch it. It explains in detail the fundamentals of constructing complex objects accurately in perspective. And he draws wacky space ships which I'm sure you'll enjoy. At least go to a site like idsketching.com and watch every video and then come back and ask questions.

or continue to fritter away asking questions that you think you want the answer to when there are hundreds of resources already on the internet that explain these things.

Guest Taro

Okay, I will explain grid, since its still pretty fresh in my mind, we just did it at school.

First of all, are you talking about digital sketching? Because I am talking about hand sketching (works for both I guess).

Draw a 2 pt perspective grid at first. (http://mathforum.org/~sanders/connectinggeometry/2ptperspgrid.gif) that one is a little complex, no need for something like that.

Find your cone of vision, just 60 degrees out of the bottom point.

In that cone of vision you have, ZOOM IN and basically cut out parts of the grid that you like and would like to use as an underlay.

Now, print that zoomed in part out, and use it as an underlay for your drawings on paper, and use it as a faint layer on the computer.

Do I draw the grid in a layer or in a background page and do I have to lock them ?

Draw a couple set of grids, and save them as jpeg or anything you like. Now when you want to draw in computer, open that up, and use it as your TOP layer, and set the opacity to.. 20% or something? Now you know EXACTLY where your lines should go as long as you did your grid 100% correct.

I have sketchpro program, so i thought how can I work on 2 pages at the same time, so I could use one as a background with opacity down and the one with design. So later I could simply unlock the background grid and remove it. otherwise I don`t use perspective for only one reason- so there would be no stripes left all over the place, which i guess would be better than distortion i get from constipation, sorry, constant patience with my images.;)))

A 2D grid perspective grid is not going to teach you how to draw cars in perspective.

It may aid in your construction but until you learn what happens in the Z axis and how to accurately create it your drawings will continue to be wrong.

But good luck, selective hearing goes far in the real world.

And one more thing. What do you do to avoid the space occupied by vanishing points, which makes the rendering itself centered and sort of smallish because the lines simply continue until hit the vanishing point. Do you make the vanishing points actually outside the picture frame?( they sort of continue out) or ? And is sketch pro a good enough program? Because I don`t see the markings on Ellipses so I can not slope them precisely 90 degrees to line coming from v. point.although it has numbers reading on top of it. And gitoot really needs to be improved also designwise, while I think Utopia needs perspective correction but design seems quiet ok to me.

Guest Taro

I think 2 pt perspective grid is a good way to start.

Hmm, about the spaces between the vp, that's why I mentioned to enlarge the grid inside the cone of vision only.

Guest Karl Baxter

vps are pretty much always off the page unless you are actually drawing something very small.