Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest aferro

Technical Illustrations For A Catalog

Guest aferro

Hi to all of you!

This is my first post, i'm a new subscriber of this forum, so please be kind (especially with my english)!:-)

little intro about myself: A part from the time that i dedicate to my wonderful daughter, I work as freelance product designer (i'm a Solidworks user), and i spend my free time trying to put away the dust from warwick bass!

a client of mine (i work for them for product engineering) asked me how to proceed in order to make the technical illustration for their new catalogue.

The Product are wrought iron lighting fixtures, made by hand.

which is the problem? the numbers!

60 family of items, 20 variations of items per family.. tot: 1200 lighting fixtures.. !!!

this company want to realize a catalog with technical drawing, in order to let the customer understand what they'll buy in the right variation of item, and i sincerely don't know how to proceed.. i can work with solidworks, but i will spend about 1800 hours of drawing...

i purposed grouping for similar characteristics the items, arriving maybe to 300 drawings... but, as i said, it's an impressive work, and i don't know how to proceed..

Your suggestion??? i never realized a catalog, and i don't know which software to use or how to proceed.. Solidworks? Illustrator? Photoshop? Finding an illustrator and asking him to work for me?

And.. anyone ever drawn any technical illustration

Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest aferro

sorry, i forgot an important thing:

all the drawing of this company, that works on CUSTOM TO ORDER mode, are made in its 50 years of story by hand, on paper, in scale 1:1.. production drawing, not ready for a catalog

they have in Solidworks only the structural parts, that they order to many supplier, and the electrical specifications

they don't have any sketch or drawing right now on their productions, only photos.. so 3dvia composer could be used only if i create all models in Solidworks..

no solution?

Guest Skint

If they have production drawings 1:1 scale then you should be able to pull all the info you require straight of those. Illustrator can accept Autocad files, i usually save down to R14 or 2004 version. If you dont have access to illustrator then you should be able to manage with altering the drawings in solidworks format.

I sympathise with you, I had to do a catalogue last year, including hundreds/thousands of illustrations and cad renders etc. It is time consuming...but could be a good long term money maker for you! :P

Guest JMAG

Does your client really want their customers to look through that big of a catalog?

Surely some sell well than others...

You have my sympathy...

Guest setdesigner

Rhino 3d and the technical viewport render plugin.

Model the object once. Select Technical View, has hidden line as well, Pic an angle, save as a tiff or jpeg.

http://www.rhino3d.com/

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/TechDraw.html

You can also use the Make 2D command. Pick a desired angle, hit make 2D then export out as an illustrator file.