Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmattley

Graphics Tablet And Software Choices...

Guest jmattley

Hi, I'm currently a product design student in the UK and I want to expand my renderings using a graphics tablet and possibly painter. I can't really afford a massively expensive tablet, but do have ebay and would like a reasonably good quality tablet.

Are there any good recommendations on brands to get or certain models? What would be the best software to use as well, I've heard painter is quite effective and have seen it been used.

Any advice would be brilliant thanks.

Hi, I'm currently a product design student in the UK and I want to expand my renderings using a graphics tablet and possibly painter. I can't really afford a massively expensive tablet, but do have ebay and would like a reasonably good quality tablet.

Are there any good recommendations on brands to get or certain models? What would be the best software to use as well, I've heard painter is quite effective and have seen it been used.

Any advice would be brilliant thanks.

Buy the largest Wacom Intuos3 (or Intuos4 if you have the budget) you can afford. At least 6x8".

Consider a tablet an investment. If you look at Ebay you'll probably see they aren't that cheap used, because they last forever and are still just as valuable in 4 years. IMO it's even worth considering saving up for a Cintiq and spreading it out over 4 years of your education then sell it when you're done.

Software: Painter, Photoshop, and Autodesk Sketchbook. Art Rage has a small following but it seems to be target more towards the fine arts folks than the ID/technical areas.