Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adolphe

Desert Goggles

Guest Amanda Lee
looks huge and cumbersom, great for a videogame, but not real life

I agree. The one who'll be wearing it will be tired even before an hour of a desert adventure. I suggest you use lightweight material so that the weight won't add up much to the adventurer's baggage.

Guest Adolphe
I agree. The one who'll be wearing it will be tired even before an hour of a desert adventure. I suggest you use lightweight material so that the weight won't add up much to the adventurer's baggage.

I'm not sure why ya would guess they're super heavy. Resin has a density of 0.910 to 0.935 g/cm3 as opposed to ABS which has a density of 1.04 g/cm3.

Here's an image of me weighing the mostly finished goggles. The batteries are full, so the weight of the electrons are included in this number:

post-32249-1259783903.jpg

If ya can't see the number it says: 577 grams

Anyone who becomes tired from wearing something that weighs 1.27lbs should not be in any desert for any amount of time.

If ya wanna compare the weight of my design to that of existing products (goggles + headlamp), here's a bit of my research.

Scott 83X Desert Goggles

Item Weight: 6.4 ounces

Streamlight 61080 Trident HP Headlamp

Item Weight: 8 ounces

Totaling to: 14.8 ounces or 419.5 grams

Sources:

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-61080-He...s/dp/B0028014PK

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-83X-Desert-gog.../dp/B002FA5UJO/

When all is said and done, these goggles still have better range, they have rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and (i think) they look a lot better than the goggles + headlamp combo.

Speaking of looks. Here are two images of the paint job:

post-32249-1259783868.jpg

and

post-32249-1259783889.jpg

They're still not 100%, but this is pretty much what the finished piece will look like.

I'll post an image of me with them on when i get a good one... :)

Oh, and thanks for that video Padd! I love those steam-punk types... maybe someone from that crowd would commission a pair of my babies

Guest nabee

Good modeling. So there is a specific target audience for this product which makes sense.

Looking at the progression, I prefer the monotone stage before the painted stage.

If you can completely tone down the resin to a matte finish and bringout the leather more it would be great.

but then again, it might be too much of a "steampunk" look.

Somewhat of a sample look I had it mind when I first saw your idea.

goggles.jpeg

Good luck!

Guest cderby

This project seems a bit weird to me.

Was this done for a product studio? For fun?

The design puzzles me. I keep wondering why it looks like it just popped out of someone's chest.

Guest Adolphe

cderby. I did the project for Burnin' Man 2010... so i guess for fun. These specs are just a piece of a grander plan. I'm slowly working on an alien lookin' traveling cloak to go with em'. Glad ya can see the alien influences, tho. =)

nabee. Other peoples were telling me that the all black goggles looked too "drab" before. Plus, the paint brings out the carving details. I do agree that flattening out the color with matte would look a lot better, but my matte finish doesn't do the job.

I'm gonna try mixing some black enamel with polyurethane for the finishing coat... i'll post up the result when i's done.

Oh yes. And i've been doing battery tests over the last week.

Results:

At full brightness, they last for 15 hours.

Middle brightness, 70 hours.

Lowest brightness, more than 130 hours.

Guest Lilith

nothing better than a hands on experience! i love the fact you just made it and although its a strange shaped item, but it kind of works! could be a perfect item for a a sci fi movie, ever thought of working for movie makers? good luck

Guest ChrisDuncan

""Think of them as a piece of art first and as a useful product second.""

Exactly. They look real sick, sort of a MadMax look (before the fancy paint), but function would be sort of lacking.

Having used both goggles and headlamps pretty extensively here's the compromises where your design is lacking.

Peripheral vision, none. Goggles from the 1800's had this flat round front tunnel design because curved glass was hard to manufacture. That's no longer the case with modern plastics.

Integrating a headlamp and goggles. It's been done but it's an inherent compromise. The main thing wrong with your design is you have no way to aim the light. Going down a dark trail at night you have to be able to aim the light, specifically the tilt up and down. When hiking it's angled higher, when you stop to mess with something in your pack or laying down in camp it's angled lower.

If the primary use is during the day then you're carrying the light on your head, the added weight and possibility to damage a critical piece of gear. In camp when you need the light to carry out tasks are you looking through tunnel vision goggles when you're cooking your soup? Guess you could push them up on your head but then the aim is going even further toward the wrong direction.

The art is pretty nice as is the actual build process. Interesting to see something actually produced on these boards, most of it is only design.

Burning Man will be a good place for these, a practical application to impress other artists. Useful in that sense. The painted look reminds me of Santa Fe.

Guest SamHolmes

i'm digging this. it really came together in the end. clever idea with the lights. nice paint job.

Guest angela1983

After reading your idea to this project, I know you have special concept on this project, it is cool.

As a traditional prototype maker, I'd like to show our silicon mould, this will make refined product.

If one day you want to change style, pls contact me--:D

post-38222-1277808666.jpg