Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adolphe

Desert Goggles

Guest Adolphe

Hey guys/gals,

I spent eight months designing a pair of goggles for adventuring in a desert environment. Each side will have eight 2.5 lumen LEDs (red), a 3.7 volt lithium-ion (rechargeable) battery, leather cushioning for the face, transition lenses (black) and the user has control over the light intensity, as well.

The original is made out of clay, but the final pair will be cast in a translucent-black resin.

I just got the silicon + i'm building a vacuum chamber to begin the molding process.

Here's the original sketch:

sketch.jpg

Here's an image of the front (with lights on):

front.jpg

Here's an image of the back (with lights off):

back.jpg

The silver circle is the charging jack, the black circle is a light intensity control and the red button is a glowing power button.

And, finally, here's a little animation i made for fun.

Rotate.gif

If you're interested in seeing the full development process, please visit my portfolio at www.Namagasta.com and look under "Sculpt".

I should be finished soon, and i just thought i'd share.

So that is actually just 1 side of the goggles?

It's hard to comment on it without seeing it in it's real context, IE on a head or at least in a pair connected with some straps.

The form itself looks like something out of an Alien movie, very bulbous and organic.

What function do the red LED's serve? To make the wearer visible to others? Or just for looks?

That thing scares me, and actually disgust me a little bit. Yet, I find it fascinating. It looks like it's made out of a extraterrestrial carcass. It reminds me of the night vision goggles Ben had in Full Throttle if anyone's cool (geeky) enough to get that reference :) But yeah. unless it's a movie or videogame prop, I can't really see this working.

Also this may be a dumb question, but I've never been to the desert nor do I wear glasses, but what good are the LEDs?

Guest Adolphe
So that is actually just 1 side of the goggles?

It's hard to comment on it without seeing it in it's real context, IE on a head or at least in a pair connected with some straps.

The form itself looks like something out of an Alien movie, very bulbous and organic.

What function do the red LED's serve? To make the wearer visible to others? Or just for looks?

The piece shown is both the left and the right side of the pair. It is totally symmetric along the horizontal plane of your head, so i only had to do half the work. I will cast the piece twice to get the final pair.

I can't really mount it to a person's head yet, but here's a good photoshopped image for reference.

faux.jpg

As for the LEDs? They serve as illumination for the user. Its kinda like a head-lamp/goggles combo.

At full brightness, all 16 lights would be more than enough light for a single person in a pitch black environment... i'll be sure to show the effectiveness once they are fully constructed.

And, Engio, i love your initial reaction. I was going for tribal-alien in the design.

Oh, and just to put the project in context; these goggles are being designed for Burning Man 2010.

Guest EsmondSit

I'd go with other's comment. The idea is great but I think the design needs well, redesigning. Maybe you should reduce the creases and folds. Since you're going to use it in a desert, having too many of those would trap a lot of dust and sand. Then you'd need to clean it every so often. Perhaps a sleeker and simpler design? Something that is simply manageable.

=)

Guest JelleT
As for the LEDs? They serve as illumination for the user. Its kinda like a head-lamp/goggles combo.

At full brightness, all 16 lights would be more than enough light for a single person in a pitch black environment... i'll be sure to show the effectiveness once they are fully constructed.

And, Engio, i love your initial reaction. I was going for tribal-alien in the design.

Oh, and just to put the project in context; these goggles are being designed for Burning Man 2010.

OK the latest sentence is quite important I guess so I won't be commenting on the design then.

On the practical side, buttons and charging plugs on the outside would be the first thing you would like to prevent when designing a product for the desert (=sand) so why so many???

Could you not make the housing sensible for touch? Touch once to tab it on, another to intensify the light and again to turn it off? something like that?

The charging jack couldn't be on the inside somewhere? Behind a latch or something?

If you're saying "all 16 lights would be more than enough light" than that means you're actually being inefficient with energy? If one is enough just do one! Your battery will last a lot longer! Its more important for me when walking through the dessert than looking fashionable or am I missing something?

Guest AutomóvilVerde

looks huge and cumbersom, great for a videogame, but not real life

Guest Adolphe
cool, but it looks horrible. i think.

Horrible, eh... like a big scary monster? Ha ha... i was going for horrible, if that's what ya mean.

As for the practicality, i see what you guys are saying.

If i had a full CNC machine or a really nice machine shop, i'd make them look like the sketch. I'd make them out of aluminum and i would have loved to put the charging mechanism under the door. For now tho? I'm looking for rubber stoppers to block sand from entering the electronics bay.

I wish i could make some of the changes you guys bring up. But, alas, i am a poor designer with a 1BR apt to work in.

I see massive potential in resin casting, and i wanted to make something that proves the versatility of silicon molding + clay sculpting.

Here's my progress!

First, here's the silicon mold for the main portion of the goggles.

LJ1_11_03_09.jpg

When i removed the clay-original, the whole thing shattered. Luckily, the mold came out perfectly.

This is how i create the molds, by the way.

LJ2_11_03_09.jpg

This image shows the clay version of the lens holders and the electronics lid.

And, finally, here are the first casts in context on my model. ;)

LJ3_11_03_09.jpg

I'd call them "bulbous", as well. But, i think it adds to the allure. The battery lasts for about 50 hours at full blast, and they're much lighter than they look.

For this project, style is super important. I want these babies to collect as much sand as possible, i want them to look ragged + worn after a few years of use.

Also, I don't plan on making more than 5 pairs of these guys. Think of them as a piece of art first and as a useful product second.

Maybe, after a few years, i'll have enough disposable income to re-visit this idea and i promise to make them sleeker. :)

Its the most difficult application i could come up with, and it definitely proves that ya don't need complicated machines to create a beautiful enclosure. I've never tried anything like this and i'm refining my technique for future projects.

Thanks for the comments, people. I appreciate the feedback and i'll post more as soon as i can!

Guest AutomóvilVerde

the finished one looks a lot better than the first one, i think it being black helps take away from the monsterish look. have you tried them on yet? are they comfortable?

Guest Adolphe
have you tried them on yet? are they comfortable?

Yep. They're pretty much designed to fit my face exactly. Most of the weight is transferred directly to the brow bone and just a little more to the cheeks.

post-32249-1258577856.jpg

I searched for a soft + pliable leather to protect the face from the hard + rough surfaces and i stuffed them with cotton balls for squishy factor (will try sponge soon).

As ya can see, i set the leather with tiny brass bolts... With all of that? Ya... they're very quite comfortable, but i'd like to perfect it before i call myself done.

I took them to a friend's party and a few people tried them on. From what i can tell... the smaller your brow bone, the more pressure is applied to the nose bone. So... people with flat faces can't wear em'...

Here's a front shot...

post-32249-1258578337.jpg

A side shot...

post-32249-1258578315.jpg

And, finally... at full power!

post-32249-1258578329.jpg

I still have a bit of work to do, so that's not even the final look. I decided to do a paint job on these babies. Iz post the photos lata.

Guest lokilabs

Adolphe, I like the design except for a few things....my personal opionion only...I would make them a little more streamlined if possible and not round...have you seen inuit masks used in cold snowy climates where there is alot of reflection...they are slits...maybe one horizontal slit would be cool...also the leather interface from the goggles to the face might pose an issue with collecting sand..may need to be more like scuba goggles...sand finds a way through anything. Other than that i really like the idea and wish I had time to design a few that you could build. That would be awesome. You have some great skillz keep up the good work!

Guest Padd

Nice work, i really quite like them! Its an odd melting pot of styles going on, kind of Steampunk/Mad Max/Extra-terrestrial vibe. I'm sure they will go down a storm at Burning Man! Well done.

Padd

Guest Adam Brown

In my personal opinion they look to much like something out of star wars to be any sort of feasible product, even to sell 5 pieces??

Maybe a one off for you to show that you have the ability to design and make a product which is suited to a 'sci fi' film, but as a product i feel its undesirable and people would go for an alternative which looks nice and probly functions better.

sorry for sounding harsh. but it is just my opinion. i'm sure other people will love them!!

Guest Adolphe

Loki - I had to make them look like that to hide the imperfections of my hand-sculpting. I am getting a lot neater, so the next time i made another face-piece, i promise to make it sleek.

The leather isn't so bad. Think air-men goggles circa WWII. I'll have a friend throw a big ol' ball of sand at my face and i'll post the results. Also, I did a little research on those Inuit masks + they got my mind racing with ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Padd - Thx fer the compliment. You hit the influences right on the head! I took a little break from painting them, but when they're done, it'll have an added layer of Tribal. Youz see...

Adam. I never mentioned that i'm making these to sell them. The number 5 came from my predictions of mold-life. The silicon ripped a little-bit every time i made a cast... i dun think it'll be able to make 10 parts before it fails.

Also, i don't think style will ever negate the feasibility of a device as long as it serves its needs.

I wanted goggles that light my path. They are goggles, and they definitely light up the space they're in. Look at that cow. He's totally lit up:

post-32249-1259098347.jpg

The idea is quite feasible despite your distaste for my style.

If you are saying that i could not sell a crap-load of them... then you're right... but that's not the reason why i created them.