Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest retrospec

Cafe Cubes, Coffe Made From Cubes

Guest retrospec

Still an early work in progress, I need more illustration and renderings to bring out the idea. I will update with more photos

The basic premise is this, they have sugar cubes, so why not make coffee cubes and milk cubes? The cup itself is designed to be a square on the bottom so 2 coffee cubes + 1 milk cube + 1 sugar cube will fit on the bottom, and round on the top so it is ergonomic for drinking. I'm also thinking about making smaller cubes, so people can have more control about the mix and making them into different polygonal shapes for fun or special occasion. (To be updated)

post-29190-1252260413.jpg

Guest Live Design

it might be ergonomically sound to drink, but what about holding it?

nice idea with the milk cubes, have you looked into how long a dairy product like that could be stored on a shelf without spoiling?

Guest retrospec
it might be ergonomically sound to drink, but what about holding it?

nice idea with the milk cubes, have you looked into how long a dairy product like that could be stored on a shelf without spoiling?

Thanks for the comment, I actually have a cup that has the same type of handle and because coffee cups are usually so light and small, I find it to be no problem to hold it, but you're right, I might give it a traditional handle for ease of use in the final version.

As for the milk cubes, I think shelf life should be no problem if the milk cubes are freeze dried first. It should have the same life as the milk powder we have now, for the milk and coffee cubes I'm thinking about making concentrated powdered first and then made into cubes with the help of tiny amounts of tasteless syrup perhaps.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

Cool idea. The handle does look hard to use, you could just skip on the handle all together, but then it's more of a tea cup.

Guest Nick Madsen

Neat idea, what about having some recessed type on the cubes to show home much sugar/milk/etc your adding? Have like "5g" on one of the sides. Would be helpful for people watching their sugar intake or good for people with diabetes. just a thought.

Not sure if people at cafes will enjoy the aesthetic of such heavily processed coffee products, but it's an interesting idea.

As far as the mug design, I might design it so that the cup tapers upwards towards the circular mouth. Right now the opening is smaller than the base, which might make it more difficult to just throw in 4 cubes and have them fit properly.

Guest Nick Madsen
Not sure if people at cafes will enjoy the aesthetic of such heavily processed coffee products, but it's an interesting idea.

As far as the mug design, I might design it so that the cup tapers upwards towards the circular mouth. Right now the opening is smaller than the base, which might make it more difficult to just throw in 4 cubes and have them fit properly.

not a bad idea... about having the top, circular mouth being larger than the square base, something like this?

post-33100-1253657762.jpg

Guest retrospec

not a bad idea... about having the top, circular mouth being larger than the square base, something like this?

yea that looks great man, but please don't take my idea hahaha

Guest Nick Madsen

Of course not, I would never do that. Just thought a sketch would help.

Guest retrospec

Of course not, I would never do that. Just thought a sketch would help.

I was joking man. Also ur sketch looks even better than my design. Thanks