Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Way's to do analysis

I'm currently doing a 2 week group project at uni here for Unilever and having spent almost a week of only analysis I was wondering what techniques you guys use to make sure you will be on the right track on a short term design project.

Of course, if you have the time (few months, big projects) you can take more time for analysis, but if time is of essence and it's a vague terrain you're venturing in, what kinds of methodology do you prefer to use?

To illustrate our way of working for this project, we've been doing some brainstorm sessions (how can you....), made a mind-map, some moodboards and a storyboard.. with these we hope to have a vision of our future product, which we can then spend little over a week designing with our group.

I'm not saying this is the way I would personally work, but I'm really curious to hear about others what their experience is with short term projects like these. Would you spend this much time on analysis as well?

Guest Aphasia

Personally i tend to follow my nose, but during team based work because noones sure what everyone else is thinking generally start off with a brainstorm and follow on from there. Usuaully builds up speed pretty quickly.

Guest DreaM

well, talking about short time, i participated in a workshop for Sector watches in Milano like a couple of months ago... The goal of the project was to develop the product line for sector watches for the next 12 years, considering the new technologies and possible connection with an automobile... anyway, the time was like 2 weeks and we were nearly 20 people willing to do something real good, and i can honestly say that 80 percent of the time we spent was on the theory , the brain maps, the research for the daily life, and the interaction possiblities...etc

as we were getting closer to the end, we kinda begin to worry about it because there was nothing solid you know.... but i was amazed to see how easy the design follows , if you have a real good background to your project... so we had all the information and analizyes . We sat on our desks with our markers and all , and divided the years , so there ws no much to do because everything was clear...

so it turn out to be a good project ,as i love to talk about it...

anyway, what i can tell is : if the project has something to stand on, then it becomes a good project anyway... I think new ideas and the theories are way more important than fancy looking stylings.........and this is the biggest mistake that a designer can make ........

yeah, i think that's all........

:blink:

DreaM, sounds like a smooth sailing project. Did you have any requirements from the company like 'you have to use this, don't change this'?

Guest DreaM

well , actually we were given the researches for the technologies like, this year this technology is possible, next year this thing can be used in a watch ....etc.

but we tried to approach to this project from a more human way, like saying that this is just a watch, not a technology gadget... but in the end , they made it clear by saying that they want to discover what might happen at those years. What can a watch turn into , just to visiualize the future. And like i said, it had to be related with an automobile...but we didn't get lost in technical details, thanxfully...

i hope that's the answer to your question Renzsu