Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adolphe

Digi-portfolio Launched

Guest Adolphe

I'm in the midst of a career swap and i put together a Flash/HTML/XML web page to send along with my resume. The original idea was to create some sort of phone-interview tool.

Check it out...

www.Namagasta.com

Be brutal if you must.

--AAlex

Guest rtdesign

Hey Alex,

I try to be objective in my comments and observations. Please do not take them personally. (Sometimes it is difficult, because we put so much work on our work)

It is surely different from what we are used to see here, a unique way of presenting your portfolio. That said, I'm not a big fan of excess use of Flash, but that's just me.

Other thoughts:

I'm not sure why the navigation switches from left to right once you click on a project. It's confusing and not constant. Personally, I think the "less is more" should be applied on everything, specially on a portfolio.

Although the Font selection is a personal choice, again, I think we should use an standard font, Arial, Swiss, etc. Or perhaps we could use a hand written font. (Other than Comic font)

Perhaps there should be a PDF icon beside your documents, indicating we are going to access a PDF. (Small detail, but the user should be comfortable in navigation)

Also, I would suggest to add a downloadable PDF of your resumé, or perhaps, using a free service such as visualCV.com.

I think little things will improve the overall look and feel of the site.

Good luck.

Guest AutomóvilVerde

i don't know much about how portfolios should be, but i think there should be a bit more information on the projects. like the chlorobot one, i don't really know what it does, you just say it's an ambitious project and it requires a broad range of skills. also the lime green and red contrast too much for me, I'd go for something simpler, just one color, or shades of a color. and for the pictures that have a white overlay on them when they're not selected should be a bit more clear, they're a bit to white right now, and a back button to go back to sketches or sculpt from the projects under them would be nice, just makes it easier and more natural than clicking on the main menu.

there's my take on it, and don't know if it's just my screen, but 2009 namagasta is cut off on my screen, i have to scroll right to see it, it might just be cause i don't have a widescreen.

Guest Adolphe

Thank you all for your comments. This is exactly the type of feedback i need.

RTDesign, i'll try to reduce the general cheese factor that automatically comes with Flash pages. I was going for highly interactive, but i definitely need more information for the Guest.

Soup, i agree. I'll make sure the intro isn't so 1998.

Auto, you're right about the lack of info. I'll try to make my language a little less cryptic. Oh, and btw, Chlorobot is a hydroponics robot.

I'll be coding all day tomorrow and i'll be sure to share my progress.

--AAlex

P.S. - I already applied to my #1 with the less-than-finished portfolio.

Guest Adolphe

Hey people.

I've been hard at work for the last few days and here is the result:

www.Namagasta.com

For anyone who wants to see what it USED to look like. Check this one out:

Old Namagasta

I took a lot of the offered input and i think it flows a little better.

Any other comments?

Guest Adolphe

After tons of hours of tweaking and re-coding my portfolio, this is what i came up with:

http://namagasta.com

To compare with the first one:

http://www.namagasta.com/old

A big difference, no? I kinda feel sick when i look at the original one... *sigh*

Since this site is still relatively abstract, I decided to create this PDF portfolio to solve the issue:

http://namagasta.com/auxi/AAlexander_PDF_Portfolio.pdf

Thanks again for the crits!

Guest Bowl of Soup

I like the new one a lot. I would add in some linear steps to take the user through some of you projects (much like the linearized steps of the splash screen).

Your name needs more visibility during the content browsing.

So, I see a lot of pictures in some places and a lot of text in others, you will get the most impact with some text and some pictures, larger fonts when you use them, key information, diagrams (process and workflow diagrams)

I would add to the resume, more details, describe your position and experience. I know this contradicts the previous point, but if you are posting a resume, make it a full one, do not abbreviate it.

Cut some of the sketching content, keep only the best. Now that your site is well designed, work on producing more amazing content and maybe re-present some of your old stuff.

Hope this helps.