Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pyr0b0y

Steel Wool In Solidworks Possible?

Guest pyr0b0y

Is there a way to model steel wool in solidworks? I know that in 3dsMax you can use the "hair and fur" option to produce steel wool but is there a way to make it look realistic rather than just using a decal?

Thanks

If there is, it would be an effort in futility. Steel wool works well with the "hair and fur" type simulation because those are procedural particle effects, so it is easy to randomly generate a silver hairball.

To model this, you would either need to fake it with a complex texture, or try and model clumps of steel wool.

Is there a specific goal you need to get to where you need to use Solidworks? Can you photoshop in steel wool from a photo or other rendering?

Guest under-dog

.......why?

I could see modeling a press or some sort of tooling that makes the steel wool to shape. But why steel wool.

I would imaging if you do pull it off which is doable.....but time consuming that there would be so much surface data the file might get rather large.

Sounds like you're just using the wrong tool. Solidworks is not meant for stuff like that. Be flexible and if it's for a presentation, take a picture and collage it. No cnc machines are making the strands of the steel wool, trying to model that in solidworks is a total misuse of the tool. Use it for when you need to show solids and surfaces accurately that may need to be modified or sent for tooling. Don't try to use it as a generic 3d graphics type of program.