Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest idguru

apple console

Guest thomasl

hello designers

i'am french, and it's my first post in this forum.

I want to integrate the Institut Supérieur de Design of Valenciennes (france) in the transport section, but i try to create other things, as the project of appel console.

Please comment my works, product with photoshop only

Regards...

Thomas

PS: sorry for my horrible english :huh:

final%20copy.jpg

Guest Jakska

Hi... Nice concepts. I think either 6 or 8 are the best designs, but 5 has a lot of potential. I agree with cmegens about the controller; as it will be by far the hardest area of design, it should be looked at first and with the most detail.

With regards to thomasl, i think your controller looks too much like the independent PS2 controllers on the market at the moment. It needs to be more innovative and more simplistic in design. I think it is a great idea to have it compatable with iTunes and the iPod, but I'm not sure about the compatability with the PowerMac G5... Also, your design for the actual console body does not seem to flow enough, it lacks individuality and is too basic even for a Mac product.

Guest thomasl

The powermac G5 is only for create network at home ... same the ps2, iPlay have don't broadband modem, we can connect them than you connect iplay to G5...

I research more at the moment about the controler, i want to use a similar system as ipod (tactile navigation system) but i start to work for the microsoft futur computer project :P not many time for my iplay !

greats thanks Jaskska for your interressant comment, i think change many part of my reflexion about appel console...

regards

Tom

Guest wenxiang

nice thought on focusing the design of the controller, Carl. i agree this will be an added value to the product. with cool console and fantastic controllers, what could stop it from being a hit in the market? =)

Guest benko

Hi there

i really like this exercice even if designing an apple product is much a matter of materials and texture than a shape exercice ...

it would be really intteresting if someone could bring an apple design creating new language instead of catching the apple design language who is ...obvious .

no critique here just a wish ...

by the way nice photoshop work thomas ...

i would recommand illustrator to make product design it'll allow you to change colors and textures really easily compare to photoshop ...

Guest thomasl

Thanks for all comments, i try to work with illustrator, but it's not the same as photoshop, and a training period is necessary for me to have a good skill. i work at the moment about a new concept for this appel console, with other material and other vision of controller device... coming soon !

regards

Tom

EDIT : benco, you study in ISD no ? i'am the only on waiting list for transport design... too bad !

nah nah nah! you can do better. spend some time really looking at there products. all of these look like something they would maybe accept in the early 2000's. im not trying to be mean but im sure you want someone to tell you the truth. none of these look expensive or worth anything. keep it simple and elagant.

You only need one sensor for multiple wireless controllers, and it usually is NOT infrared (line of sight), it's RF, so you don't even really need a window. One thing that apple does consistently that I don't see you doing is making the power button something very substantial, and "designed". Also, I feel slot loading is the only accepted new method of media. Tray loaders scream mid 90s, and the flip up top reminds me of the original playstation and gamecube.

Bump from an old topic much? I daresay this guy designed the Wii before Nintendo did. Especially design #6, it's almost harrowing how much that looks like an Apple version of the WiiU.

wiiu_console-930x377.jpg

That said, I think when creating devices that connect to televisions, products are more based around an easy-to-use interface as opposed to unique design, hence why a lot of DVD players, Blu-ray players and games consoles tend to follow the basic box shape.

It's always cool to throw a few nice curves and indents in there, but ultimately, they're fancy cuboids.

first of all: do not use comic sans if you wanted to be taken serious.

Second of all nr 6, but then bring it even more back towards the apple style.

Although the console is interesting, what is the real brainteaser is the controller. It is very hard I think to create a ergonomic controller, and still let it look like an apple product, because of the simplified shapes (basically they use primary shapes with blends) and the original compostions and materials they use. So I think the biggest challange would be here as a shape.

Second to that Apple has a name to fullfil on the interaction, and here also the controller is the key part where the user connects with the apple product. This interaction has to be made with the same style and grace for instance the Ipod uses (which is still just a beautiful interaction which we don't see produced that much). So I hope you start with the real challange, instead of the shape of the console.

regards

Carl

I agree with Carl, the controller is a big part of the design.look at the Nintendo 64 controller (a disaster).

I also question the use of an apple console, there aren't many MAC games!Or would the console be able to play a number of game formats such as PC Xbox and play station?I know is may be just an idea but it is something to take into consideration!