Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest anchange

Working Between 3d Studio Max And Solidworks

Guest anchange

I've designed a little part in 3D Studio Max 2008 because it was mostly very irregular in shape and the dimensions didn't have to be exact. Now I want to import the part into Solidworks and add some elements to it. Basically all I need to do is cut some precision holes through the piece and add some rigging elements. How do I work between 3D Studio Max and Solidworks? I tried converting to an STL and importing that into Solidworks which did import but doesn't allow me to work with it. Please help, thank you!

That actually sounds like a good work-flow there, I can imagine using Max for that. I know Max can import .IGES files so maybe it can also export them, that would work with Solidworks.

Also, is your model an editable nurbs, editable poly or editable patch object?

Because that will matter too.

If it's an editable poly (which I am assuming it will be) then that's indeed a problem, as an .STL it comes in as "STL Graphics" and it's useless for anything but a pretty picture, I've been there my friend!

I'm afraid I can't help you but maybe somebody around these forums has a solution for how to go from a polygon object into a nurbs-based solid or surface model. That would be sweet.

P.S. Try right-clicking your object in 3ds Max itself and converting it to an editable nurbs, just for kicks, what does it do?

Guest baum

If it can be an stl "google: stl import for sw" ther is a company called sycode and it works great. they have a 10day or 10 use trial on their site, but it only costs 200 (usd). If the model is a closed "water tight" it will import as an imported body. if its not closed it will be imported as surfaces.

Guest bildder

You can open directly *.*3ds file in Solidwokrs, if you have SW premium, and add-ins scan to 3d is loaded.

Of course after that you get point cloud or mesh, and must convert into surface and next solid body.

Maybe would better split your model in 3dmax and export only this piece, where you need cut holes, next open again in max and merge result.

3D Max to SW is a tough nut to crack, but first let's start with what you already have seen...

Never, never, ever, never use .stl as a neutral format to swing around to different programs. Did I mention "Never" :)

It is just not a robust format like say STEP, ACIS, Parasolid, IGES....because of the simple fact that it is a mesh. Meshes are great in Max for what it is doing., but not for programs that need to crunch all the math and data behind the scenes. The best thing an .stl is used for is RP'ing.

It's not work the upgrade to Solidworks Premium just for "Scan to 3D" plug-in if that is all you need it for. Here are some other possible options:

www.baren-boym.com/index.php?page=portfolio&item=90

www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

The Baren Boym product is a little more specific to SW, where as the Polytrans from Onkio is a much more universal adapter. It can pretty much suck in any type of 3D and export it back out as any other. But take this with a grain of salt. I mean nothing is ever as easy or as magical all the time, but these can be a good starting point.

Hope this helps...

Guest IvanRD

I agree that STL is not the best format to work with, especially in SW, however just wanted to say that there are extra options available in SW, that will allow you to import the STL file as a surface or even a solid body. (no add-ins required, just click options button on the open window).

Having said that, any high res mesh is going to grind your computer to a stop in SW. Just was not made for this type of stuff. I forgot is there a way to export IGES surfaces from 3Ds max? Try that instead. I think I made that work fairly well from Rhino to SW once... Someone correct me if I am mistaken...

Ivan

Options available in SW, that will allow you to import the STL file as a surface or even a solid body. (no add-ins required, just click options button on the open window).

Ivan

Thanks for this tip!

Guest bildder

What is the tip?

You can always open files - like below (upper left corner) but not sure what can you do with this?

11.jpg

Guest IvanRD

Bildder, is that imported surface using T-Splines or something else?

Once you have it in SW as a solid object, you can do any solid operation you may want. For example, add bosses, ribs, functional features, anything that you may want to make parametrically so that it can be easily modified.

Ivan