Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yutyjytj

Mold Design Question For Solidworks

Guest yutyjytj

i am doing some mold design work, as u can see from this image the yellow surfaces require drafting, how can i resolve this, can some one help please?

post-24160-1248905300.jpg

Guest Dugan

The draft tool in SW should be able to fix that.

Do you know how to use that?

Guest CMcA
i am doing some mold design work, as u can see from this image the yellow surfaces require drafting, how can i resolve this, can some one help please?

As suggested by Karl your best option is to fillet the case prior to the shell/fillet/boss etc features. This should likely be one of your first few features a basic box w/ an extrude, go back and edit that extrude feature and add in the necessary draft (typically anywhere from .25-5.0deg for molding). This will make sure that both the outside face (from this feature) and the inside face (created later with a shell) both are drafted correctly and it will maintain the part thickness which stays in line with standard plastic part design teachings.

If you try to add draft at the end of this model you'll likely end up with a non-uniform wall thickness or a few very weird features that are not ideal and it'll be difficult to change down the line if needed, hence the reason to deal with this earlier in the feature tree.

Hope this helps

Hi Everyone !

The general rule is we draft first then fillet right ?

What if this is an imported file (iges/step/parasolid) that doesn't allow me to go up the tree to do the fillet first ?

How do I apply draft angle to the walls of the fillet ?

Thanks !

What if this is an imported file (iges/step/parasolid) that doesn't allow me to go up the tree to do the fillet first ?

How do I apply draft angle to the walls of the fillet ?

Sorry, comments in Polish only.