Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigJoe

2010/os X Shading Anomaly

Guest BigJoe

I'm having some issues with AST 2010 on my iMac. Have a look at the attached screenshot of a single sphere under 3 different shading settings. First is the default multi-color shading and it works as expected. The other 2 are the zebra-stripe and user-defined default shading settings. As you can see, I'm getting weird radial patterns centered on 0,0,0. Doesn't matter what shape the surface is, I'm not getting any meaningful reflections.

Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions on settings to tweak?

I should probably add that I started seeing this problem recently. My guess is that I inadvertently tweaked a setting somewhere.

Even if you don't have an idea of exactly what the problem might be, any help on resetting all Alias settings to default would also be helpful.

Thanks.

post-4355-1248300834.jpg

since this is the first release of alias for mac there are bound to be problems. better stick to windows till they release another couple of version or your hard disk will be full of m_saves by the end of the year :lmao:

Guest BigJoe

Thing is, this started happening recently. Worked fine for a long time then I started seeing this problem after I started mucking with render/shading settings.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. I AppZapp'd to uninstall so maybe there is a preferences/settings file somewhere that I need to kill.

Graphics card is ATI Radeon 2600HD. Not super, but works fine. Not that it would be a definitive indicator, but I can boot into Windows and Alias shading works as expected. I'm also running Alias on a second, newer iMac and a 17" MacBook Pro and I haven't broken those yet. Ha!

I think it would help if I could somehow revert all settings to default. Any ideas?

Guest Petrovich
Thing is, this started happening recently. Worked fine for a long time then I started seeing this problem after I started mucking with render/shading settings.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. I AppZapp'd to uninstall so maybe there is a preferences/settings file somewhere that I need to kill.

Graphics card is ATI Radeon 2600HD. Not super, but works fine. Not that it would be a definitive indicator, but I can boot into Windows and Alias shading works as expected. I'm also running Alias on a second, newer iMac and a 17" MacBook Pro and I haven't broken those yet. Ha!

I think it would help if I could somehow revert all settings to default. Any ideas?

I don't know the first thing about Alias, or Mac, for that matter, however an uninstall - re-install makes sense to me.

Guest BigJoe

thanks Petrovich. The uninstall/reinstall didn't help. I deleted all of the files in Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Alias/UserPrefs2010 and relaunched. All of the files were recreated and it looked like my preferences weren't actually cleared; palette and shelves in the same place and same window setup.

I'll try uninstalling, deleting these files and restarting. Then maybe a reinstall will work.

Anyone know where the Alias shading settings are actually stored? Am I chasing my tail here?

Guest under-dog
thanks Petrovich. The uninstall/reinstall didn't help. I deleted all of the files in Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Alias/UserPrefs2010 and relaunched. All of the files were recreated and it looked like my preferences weren't actually cleared; palette and shelves in the same place and same window setup.

I'll try uninstalling, deleting these files and restarting. Then maybe a reinstall will work.

Anyone know where the Alias shading settings are actually stored? Am I chasing my tail here?

I agree with vahid.

Here is what you need to do:

Step 1) Download a buch of music and maybe make some play lists. Edit some video as well. Anything with Justin Long will do. Maybe play a game or two if you can find a good title for MAC.

Step 2) Get yourself a good PC(designed for running high end CAD). Install Alias.

Problem solved

Your welcome

Please make check payable to me :)

Edit: didnt mean to quote just reply. So this has relevence to the thread not the quoted post ....sorry.

Guest BigJoe

Thanks for the help Under-Dog. Send me your mailing address. I'll get your payment out right away.

At this point I would just try to contact Autodesk support directly. It'll be very hard to diagnose if it WAS working and now isn't with any changes that you were aware of.

As far as I can tell, none of the shading settings in the diagnostic shade box should effect it like that. If your graphics drivers weren't automatically updated it seems like it's probably an issue with the software.

Guest BigJoe

Thanks Cyberdemon. I'm thinking the same thing. I like to know I've tried everything possible before contacting tech support and I think I'm about there.

It definitely could be something with the driver. 10.5.7 might have updated/broken it. Officially, my iMac isn't supported according to the Autodesk hardware compatibility matrix so I guess this situation isn't completely unexpected. My 17" MacBook Pro IS supported, so I can still be productive.

Was you problem solved?

The preferences for alias in windows is stored in

C:\Documents and Settings\"You user name"\Application Data\Autodesk\AliasStudio

you need to find the similar location in Mac.

Or in Alias go to Preferences>User preferences>Save preference set

When the window opens move up by 2-3 levels till you reach the UserPrefs 1010 folder.

Exit Alias and then delete the folder. Restart alias. All settings should be default now.

Note: You will lose all you hotkey and marking menu preferences that have been set and they will need to be reconfigured.

Guest BigJoe

Thanks Vahid. I tried deleting the preferences to no avail. 10.5.8 didn't help either. We'll see if Snow Leopard does the trick. It's gotta be a driver issue; 2010 rendering works great when I boot this machine into Windows.

Guest BigJoe

For the benefit of anyone else having this problem, Snow Leopard fixes the issue.

I'm not sure of the exact terminology, but could it have been an issue of the mapping direction. In some programs if you're mapping on an image you choose circular, cylinder, round, etc...and depending on which you choose, the pattern will converge at one point, in your instance, the center point. Possibly changing the direction or type of the map it uses, if that's possible, might fix that. Just a guess.