Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest retrospec

"saw-wing" Motorized Glider

Guest retrospec

just a concept... in my opinion, gliders have always been one of the best looking types of machines in the aircraft industry. This glider is inspired by the shapes of a saw wing or other swallow birds and is able to use small motored propellers to assist, prolong or replace the gliding. I know the solar panels are cliche', but hey it would be a waste not to have them on such a lightweight plane with a large surface area on the gliding wings right? : )

post-29190-1245561322.png

Guest retrospec

I don't mind if it is critical or not, I just want to know you guy's opinions on the design, so I can further tweak it.

Guest uliuliany

Is there any difference of aerodynamics if you make the center wing as a V-shaped rather that straight ones? Just to be seen more modern and sleek in my thought..

Guest retrospec
Is there any difference of aerodynamics if you make the center wing as a V-shaped rather that straight ones? Just to be seen more modern and sleek in my thought..

yes, the v-shaped wings or swept wings will be quite bad for gliding, but the straight wings will make the plane slower, it's a trade off I believe.

Guest jjdemery

tail surface area looks a bit small to me. Also I cant see that the canard foreplanes would be of any aerodynamic advantage.

Guest Bowl of Soup

Retrospec,

I like the look, very stylin.

Pretty sure that a swallow uses its tail as a 'control surface' for turning. In a plane, you may want more aero stability, your current design will have trouble with stability in the yaw direction. Next, your wings are long and so should not end in a cut-off, migrate the curved tips of the "canard fore-planes" to the wings, this will reduce wing-tip vortexes and drag. Take a look at newer jet wing tips, for example, a bombardier challenger 605. Not sure how the wing tip will interact with the props, maybe look for something that already has that design.

Regards,

Guest retrospec
Retrospec,

I like the look, very stylin.

Pretty sure that a swallow uses its tail as a 'control surface' for turning. In a plane, you may want more aero stability, your current design will have trouble with stability in the yaw direction. Next, your wings are long and so should not end in a cut-off, migrate the curved tips of the "canard fore-planes" to the wings, this will reduce wing-tip vortexes and drag. Take a look at newer jet wing tips, for example, a bombardier challenger 605. Not sure how the wing tip will interact with the props, maybe look for something that already has that design.

Regards,

thanks alot, I'll look into your suggestions for sure