Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest aveepee

3D printer

Guest Coppi51

A recent company I worked for purchased a Dimension 3d printer:

www.dimensionprinting.com

Pretty cool machine! Prints in ABS plastic...although it can only do one color at once. Not the greatest resolution...but it was so easy to use. Basically just a huge office printer...export the Solidworks model as an .stl and voila! Depending on time it could take 30 minutes up to 20-30 hours to build your part.

All this for only 26K! (US dollars). I was tempted to buy one for my home! lol

Guest Morteza Pourmohammadi

I want a 3d modeler like this for about 15k$

anybody can tell me about it?

Guest dmuren

Currently, your best bets are closer to 25,000:

The Stratasys Dimension BST is 24,900

http://www.cimquest-inc.com/CQWeb/Products/Dimension.htm

and The ZPrinter 310 is 25,900

http://www.zcorp.com/products/printersdetail.asp?ID=1

The Dimension BST is a FDM printing machine that creates objects in an ABS plastic with a breakaway support system, which means that depending on the object, there may be some finishing needed after printing. It's parts behave more like real plastic, in that they can be machined, glued and painted as normal ABS would be (with a little extra care)

The Zprinter uses a inkjet binder to selectively harden a starch filler. Because of this, it offers a higher resolution than the Dimensioon, and the ability to print in color (not like 32 bit or anything, but it's pretty nice). The downside is that the material behaves kind of like plastic full of starch when machined: it's not something you're used to working with.

For a little more information on all the different Rapid Prototyping options, take a look at IDFuel's Tech Thursday on the subject:

Tech Thursday: Rapid Proto-Hyping

Guest Morteza Pourmohammadi

Realy helpfull dmuren.

so I have to save my mony until they were 25000!

Guest ammodel

After seeing these machines at several trade shows and handling and working with the parts that they make, the The Stratasys Dimension BST is much nicer to work with. The parts out of the other machine come out feeling like sandpaper and need a lot of finishing. They are also very brittle.

I guess it depends on your needs. Our customers require parts that hold up to some handling. We usually make models by hand in Aluminum, Acrylic or fiberglass, but will sometimes use a 3D modeling machine if durability is not a concern.

Guest mwk462

Here is a lot of nice parts built on a Z Corp 3D Printer. Look at the painted and chrome plated parts, Amazing!!! We had these guys make us some parts as a service and they turned out great.

http://www.ems-usa.com

We are thinking of buying our own Z Corp 3D Printer now.

Guest A-Line

The local rep for ZCorp gave us a presentation just last week. They sell the machines for $25,900US for the 8x10" bed model, and $55,000US for a model with a much larger bed size (can't recall how big)(I refer to it as a "bed" from my experiences with SLA/SLS/FDM, but I think that terminology might be incorrect for the ZCorp machines).

However, what I was really blown away with was the cost of parts he quoted if he made the parts for us on his own ZCorp machines. Much, much lower than SLA/SLS/FDM.

Once out of the machine the parts must be "infiltrated" with one of several liquid bonding agents. Some allow for stronger parts, others allow for flexible parts, and one really neat one produced very rubber-like parts. Very cool to be able to do soft rubber parts without resorting to RTV/silicone tooling as a secondary operation.

One of the newer versions of the ZCorp powder does not require infiltration, but instead the part is baked after removal from the machine.

If anyone is in the Toronto area and is interested in contacting the local ZCorp rep, let me know and I will forward their contact info...

-D

Guest sanjumathew

Hi,

Objet also have 3D Printers. They have 16 micron layers. Their material is Acrylic and the support can be easily cleaned by water jet. You can read more details at

http://2objet.com/home.asp

Sanju

post-7-1102075587.jpg

Guest Random Designer

Ah, beat me to it. Yes, give me Objet every time.

Almost as good as an SLA, and much cheaper.

Guest Cesar

Hi,

I've printed 2 prototypes on different machines, one on a 3dsystems Thermojet Printer and other in a Stratasys, i'll post pics later. That's pretty easy to work, you can develop an object, design it, and then .... just print it, easy like that !

That Objet machine looks powerfull.

Guest Moonman

One advantage of the 3DSystems over Z-Corp is that you can cast over the wax. Much better finish also. I do like the looks of that Object.

Guest szecchetto

I recently started using the zcorp 3d printer. Has anyone discovered ways of physically strengthening otherwise delicate architectural models?