Product Design Forums

Rapid Prototyping Services
dog crates nz
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomleedsdes

Oculo Glasses Storage

Guest tomleedsdes

Hi all,

Just in the process of presenting this project and wondered what you thought of the Idea / the Layout / is it clear what it is and what it does? any advice on how to improve?

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Tom

View more of my work at www.coroflot.com/tomshirley - advice/crits?

post-14086-1244807009.jpg

post-14086-1244807057.jpg

post-14086-1244807075.jpg

post-14086-1244807543.jpg

Guest Siona

Wow. You know not long ago my sister demanded that I design her a way of storing her glasses like this. She's bought about 20 pairs from glassesdirect.co.uk (which is really cheap) and doesn't know what to do with them! This is a great design and some great display boards! When can I buy one!?

:whoo:

p.s. have you thought of entering the JamesDyson award? the deadline is monday though I think :/

Hi all,

Just in the process of presenting this project and wondered what you thought of the Idea / the Layout / is it clear what it is and what it does? any advice on how to improve?

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Tom

View more of my work at www.coroflot.com/tomshirley - advice/crits?

post-14086-1244807009.jpg

I like it. Is perfect for a shop wall system. really nice idea.

BR

Peter

Guest newt @ MWE

Siona - Your sister has 20 pairs of glasses? I unaware that these people exist.

I agree with rps, I could see this as a wall display in a store. It may be a little difficult to get them out to try them on, but there are ways of getting around that.

I really can't belive this is a desired product. (I don't mean this insultingly, but as astonishment that people would actually use this). I've worn glasses my entire life and have never had the desire to display them, never had issues with cases, and have never owned more than 3ish pairs at a time (one to wear all the time, a backup in case they break and a pair of sunglasses).

What the hell do you do with 20 pairs of glasses?

newt (officially blown mind)

Guest tomleedsdes

thanks for the praise Siona, I'll look into Dyson awards.

A girl at work came to me about this problem, she collects tonnes of designer glasses and could never find a product to store them in. I did some market research and found there weren't many bulk storage solutions for glasses, n the ones I found looked a bit boring.

I agree with you R.P.S, it would work well as a display system for shops.

thanks for all your comments! don't mind crits so let me know if u can pick any holes in it!:D

Guest lokilabs

Why add a case made out of more plastic than the actual pair of glasses? Can you simplify this some how? Glasses generally fold up flat or almost so why is the container round? Allot of wasted space and material. Just a thought.

Guest tomleedsdes

Hi Lokilabs,

I see what you mean, the large tube shape is to accommodate almost all glasses including larger Aviator and 60's styles that don't fold as flat but I agree there my be room for streamlining the design to save material.

I've also considered rotational moulding for the side pieces (again to save material) but I worry this might make the product feel poor quality.

anyway thanks, food for thought!

Guest Siona
Siona - Your sister has 20 pairs of glasses? I unaware that these people exist.

I agree with rps, I could see this as a wall display in a store. It may be a little difficult to get them out to try them on, but there are ways of getting around that.

I really can't belive this is a desired product. (I don't mean this insultingly, but as astonishment that people would actually use this). I've worn glasses my entire life and have never had the desire to display them, never had issues with cases, and have never owned more than 3ish pairs at a time (one to wear all the time, a backup in case they break and a pair of sunglasses).

What the hell do you do with 20 pairs of glasses?

newt (officially blown mind)

I agree, most people would never really have more than about 3 pairs, but my sister has recently discovered glassesdirect.com which sells pretty good prescription glasses from like £20, so now she can afford to buy different styles and colours - hence the obscenely large collection :blink: