Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heart

Portfolio(s)

Guest Heart

Just finished a Bsc in Product Design and here is some of my work. Spare time at the moment is permitting me to work on other projects and improve my portfolio with time. Currently undertaking mini projects to achieve this and keep my blog interesting.

Portfolio One

Portfolio Two - Final year project

Blog

Cheers for looking.

Guest laz

I like the glove idea, how long did you have to work on your major project? I didnt know there was a IDT course at portsmouth but it looks cool.

Ive just graduated aswell from industrial design and technology at Loughborough, have a look at our degree show site http://www.indetail2009.com/ with our major projects work.

good luck with your projects and keep it up!

Guest Heart
I like the glove idea, how long did you have to work on your major project? I didnt know there was a IDT course at portsmouth but it looks cool.

Wouldn't quite call it IDT, but you're right, Product Design and Innovation - engineering with a smidge of creativity. I had a whole year to work on the project. Mostly the first semester was spent researching and testing materials. Second semester building prototypes. I took it to a design competition and sadly lost first place to someone that coloured in bugs and some guy who zipped up fruit.

Only downside is we weren't given much direction on the presentation of portfolios so I'm making up more designs to make better ones.

Guest Buff

Wouldn't quite call it IDT, but you're right, Product Design and Innovation - engineering with a smidge of creativity. I had a whole year to work on the project. Mostly the first semester was spent researching and testing materials. Second semester building prototypes. I took it to a design competition and sadly lost first place to someone that coloured in bugs and some guy who zipped up fruit.

Only downside is we weren't given much direction on the presentation of portfolios so I'm making up more designs to make better ones.

Nice work. I'm curious, what do you plan to do now you've graduated?

Comments for your portolio. The renderings lack realisum, that maybe down to the rendering engine, but I tink it's also subtle details that seem to be missing... cant say what as they arent there.

Let me explain... if you model a say a phone, there would be tiny radii on the edges of panels that are apparently butted up and square, the earphone jack socket will have a tiny amount of clearance between it and the clamshell, the usb port would have gold plated pins visable... the devil is in the detail and it makes a design look more 'belivable'

That is what I would add to your folio.... a more 'belivable' edge

With your glove, it's good that you show how its made, but only to a point.. I as a prospective employer dont need to know every single part and process, but I need quickly to understand that you have a si=olid foundation of understanding of manufacturing process and materials.

By adding details to your renderings, you visually and quickly comunicate your knowlage on an almost subliminal basis.

so dont forget to model those screws, and dont forget the screw has a slot

btw, like your blogs too. I look at what prospective employees do in ther free time and your blogs demonstrate your passion for design

Guest Heart

You are absolutely right, it's a shame I don't have access to a rendering programme. These were made in pro engineer; I have a fully legal student copy of the software and can only rely in its rendering properties...which are few and far between believe me. And at the time of the larger folio I didn't have that many skills in the software. Which is why I'm spending my time now working on it :) thanks for your suggestions.

Guest Heart

Double post to update :blush:

I recently worked on a little personal project to intergrate portfolios into business cards. Here's my examples along with a how to guide and some blanks if you'd like to give it a go.

Portfolio Business Card

If anyone would like this in jpeg form drop a pm and I'll email you a zip file :) hope you enjoy it. Took me a while to make one but it was fun!

Guest Siona

I like the portfolio business card idea - but in the browser it comes up reeeeeaally blurry. I've tried it in IE as well as chrome....

Guest Heart
I like the portfolio business card idea - but in the browser it comes up reeeeeaally blurry. I've tried it in IE as well as chrome....