Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fervt88

Fun; Gardening Kit Concept

Guest fervt88

A few weeks ago, Yanko published an article about why we don´t see many concepts for the gardening community and I was intrigued about this fact; mainly because there are very few concepts and exploration design in this field and barely someone takes the time to redesign this.

(http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/05/21/why-sprinkles-don’t-have-earth-shattering-designs/) however; apart from those reasons, I´m showing you a new gardening kit concept, that I designed a few weeks ago.

It consists on the fusion of a spade and a graip in one single piece; this was because of the need of stop losing your garden tools very often. It is versatile for small areas, it works very well for small planting jobs and because of its flexibility of use, it can be used by everyone no matter their gardening experience, skills or previous knowledge.

Fun has as advantages :

- lightweight

- universal fit

- low physical effort

- simple design (anyone can use it, because of it´s lack of mechanism)

Thank you very much for your attention, please feel free to make constructive comments.

post-26381-1243952704.jpg

post-26381-1243952753.jpg

post-26381-1243952821.jpg

post-26381-1243953167.jpg

post-26381-1243953181.jpg

post-26381-1243953196.jpg

post-26381-1243953215.jpg

post-26381-1243953327.jpg

Guest Siona

I really like the simplicity of this. It would be greta to have for small jobs around the garden. Is it aimed at everyone or mainly at children? Because I'm 21 and I want one :)

Guest newt @ MWE

i agree with sketchy, its a little difficult to figure out exactly what it does and why its and improvment. with your listed advantages (lightweight, universal fit, simple to use, low physical effort) you need to illustrate how these are achieved as its not evident from simply looking at how it is held.

from what i understand, the one side is meant to be a spade? it has a pretty large blunt edge and may not go into the ground very easily. im assuming its made of plastic? while it maybe lightweight, it may sacrifice durability. with that said, are trowels and hand spades really that heavy? Im also curious as to the hand placement in regards to the tool heads. The physics of it seem to suggest more effort required.

sorry to be negative, but im missing the improvment.

newt

Guest bagaudae

I second newt`s comments

And i also question the color choice. Although it looks very nice, seems that white plastic surface will very soon be quite damaged.

But i do like the presentation and the overall look. It`s one of those objects i would like to have and would surely find a purpose for it. Even if it was different than the original one.

Guest Nordmann

I don't like it sorry. It appears that you never did any serious gardening, and I really have no idea what you are expecting to realize with this product. Its unsaleable. Looks like it might make a good lampstand or maybe could be used for serving salad.

A spade is a spade!

ahhh, yeah this doesn't look like it would function well at all. the grip area appears much too large for the hand and the indirect force from hand to "head" seems like it would decrease leverage and create strain(like crazy) on the wrist. also, the "heads"(working ends) should at least appear sharp...the are very blunt right now...adding to the forces needed to use the tool.

love the color.

go and do some gardening with a simple mock-up and see what happens.

Guest fervt88
I don't like it sorry. It appears that you never did any serious gardening, and I really have no idea what you are expecting to realize with this product. Its unsaleable. Looks like it might make a good lampstand or maybe could be used for serving salad.

A spade is a spade!

I think you didn´t understand my product, it is for small gardening like flower pots or small areas inside a department or a house, obviously you need a bigger steel spade for tough work; it is not going to be used for the Central Park gardens! and why is it unsalable? Starck´s citrus squeezer is totally salable!

Guest Nordmann

I didnt understand your product, because its not a product! Stark's citrus squeezer is probably sold to gardeners who use it as a small spade to dig their window boxes on the 111th floor overlooking central park. I think you have totally lost the plot.

Guest newt @ MWE

you lost me on that one nordmann.

a couple of points fervt88, try not to take criticism personally, i know it can be hard (especially the way some of the feedback was written) but my comments are not a personal attack, but feedback for you to improve upon.

The usage confusion goes back to the presentation boards and speaks to the need to show in context use. In the boards the concept is shown sitting in the grass outdoors, which would lead people to believe that is it's intention.

I still see the same issues ringing true with it though. Don't get me wrong, it could totally work great. As someone else had mentioned, the best thing to do now is to build a lo-fi prototype and use it. From there, you will gain very specific feedback allowing you to revise your product into a very smart and useful object.

hope to see you progress on this

newt

Guest Nordmann

newt:-you lost me on that one nordmann.

fervt88: and why is it unsalable? Starck´s citrus squeezer is totally salable!

who lost who on that one newt?

The usage confusion goes back to the presentation boards and speaks to the need to show in context use. In the boards the concept is shown sitting in the grass outdoors, which would lead people to believe that is it's intention.

You are right about the grass newt, maybe its a croquet hoop for the poorly sighted !!!

I am negative about this particular product because firstly I think it is badly designed (not practicle, bad choice of materials, poor handle design etc etc) and because I think it is fundamentaly inpracticle. We all know the story about NASA who spent 25 million dollars to develop a ball point pen which could write on the moon, when the Russians spend a dollar on a new 2HB pencil to do the same job! If you really want to dig about in your plantpots in your appartment roof garden, buy a small trowel or even just a decent table spoon! What your trying to do is a waste of your time..not mine.

I spend my time and earn my living from finding poorly designed but potentially great products, which I invest in having professionaly re designed, and then go to market. I dont steel ideas and manipulate patents and I always make sure the original "inventor / designer" gets a good cut of the profits or a percentage of the company.

I just dont see a great idea or any potential for Your "fun" gardening kit concept, as it is now, or even with re design so I merely suggest that you should use your immagination and time on other things.

Guest xonegon

When using a spade, it's commonly known you can put lots of power on it by using your feet. As with this the direction of force is not directly in 1 straight line under the handle.

but it looks fancy :D

Guest newt @ MWE

I think as ferv explained its not a foot spade, but a pot trowel.

newt

Guest Arturo Arino

well, I think its for users that like to do some gardening in small apartment gardens or small flowers, its simple because you have both tools at the same time.

Obviously is not an engineer super tool that fixes the hole garden by pushing a button, but I think its pretty, its simple and it works for people who likes gardening as a hobby not a way of life. Some objects need to be conceptual and they need styling like Starck's, Alessi's, lovegroove's etc.

not everything needs to be functional and super ergonomic, I think you have to take some Risks and have FUN (like the tool) if not every thing its comfortable and super easy to use but BORING and square shape.

You got out of that box and thats awesome

@nordmann

I dont think you know what starks citrus squeezer looks like...

http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/de/54/79_1.JPG

its not for gardening.

and also its not marketed or meant to be 'actually used' its more of a design statement.

----

aside from that... i sitll cant imagine this thing actually working :<

seems like the handle is in the wrong spot, which seems like it would make it hard to push into the dirt.

also the thick blunt edges make it even less believable

but im no gardener.