Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shaggy

Comments And Opinions Needed!

Guest Shaggy

Hi Everyone.

As part of my uni coursework i have created a portfolio website and i need some comments and opinions about it for my report.

www.rosshawkings.com

How would you rate the clarity of my site?

Is the content detailed enough and appropriate?

How easy is it to navigate?

All comments will be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks, Ross.

Guest bagaudae

Hello!

a few things:

i would n`t choose that type of home page, maybe something less personal (the drawing) and more "professional",maybe a strip with snaphots of ur products. I would also put the "My name is Ross Hawkings and I'm currently taking a Computer Aided Product Design BSc (Hons) Degree at Nottingham Trent University." in the "About me page".

In the portfolio, i would pay a bit more attention to the colors. I assume you were trying to create a color code to identify the products in the following pages, but i don`t think it is working that well. When i was in the flamingo eggs tab (the first), i assumed the various buttons with different colors would change the color of the eggs and not go to another product. i had completely forgotten which color was what. i think the navigation on the portfolio tab could use some improvement.

Last, i really don`t like to download something to view it, unless i`m really interested. I did not read your CV, soon as i saw the download button, i immediately returned to the home page. my advice is make it readable in-site and add a download button, in case someone wants to download it.

Those are the things that bugged me the most. other than that, the structure of the site is clean, easy and intuitive (except for the folio, but i already said that).

Hi Shaggy

I will say you should talk at first about the designs you have done and not "about you" I think the website is to get new jobs and not to get married.

Home button you! Next button you! The third click let me reach the portfolio but one click more to see any thing.

Second I will say the Porsche 911 font is nice for a single header but it isn't really good to read on all the buttons.

( The portfolio looks I don't know how to say flat no spark no dynamic no sketch's nothing about the way you do it.)

BR

Peter

Guest Siona

hey,

I agree with bagaudae that the circular buttons along the bottom of the portfolio are a little unclear and not in keeping with the style of the site. I like where they are though, along with the "1, 2, 3" buttons up the side. Definitely add some sketches though!

If I'm really being picky... I don't like the font. It's hard to read in a hurry (mostly just on the portfolio menu page), and that might be important. You have a nice variety of work here though :)

I like the Orange project - I'm at Loughborough Uni and we did the same project. :) Orange will never need to hire designers again!

i hate the font.

it hurts my eyes.

its too lovey-dovey.

you seem like the really friendly type.

but try to keep your site more pro, than "im your best bud" feel.

and use a better font.

take a look at professional web portfolios and see how they are doing it.

Guest bennybtl

Hello Ross,

I agree mostly with what has been said. Good structure, but put your work first. Make the navigation less intrusive and clearer. Take a look at this > www.indexhibit.org awesome clean structured, flexible. Don't re invent the wheel, you're not a web designer, right?

On a different note, and I know this may be too much to do at this point, but all of your renderings have perspective turned off (no vanishing points) This make everything look very engineering and NOT designer. The average person may not notice it, but any designer will look at these and only see that.

Guest tommyhazams

Hello,

I am totally agreed with bennybtl He provided very good information here.

Thanks for your information.