Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Sketch Challenge 23: Coffee Maker, June 2009

It is time for another Sketch Challenge. You can grab your coffee with this one, because you need it for inspiration. We are going to sketch coffee makers! Try to create something original, new in shape, materials or usage or whatever you can come up with, something you want to own yourself. Sketch in 2D and perspective views. Render it with markers or in Photoshop, Painter or Sketchbook. Just use all the tools you have. Have fun!

philips_coffeemaker.jpg

Guest Goh Chee Yong

try to experiment with water color and marker. well...seems like not so nicely done.

post-2688-1244546555.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

really nice sketch bradford. the carafe is a great design too.

newt

Guest N_P_X

Thought I may aswell have a stab.

The main body is meant to be like brushed aluminium and the two top compartments are the water and coffee reservoirs.

coffeemaker001.jpg

Any comments are more than welcome.

Guest jonfraz

Here's something I did in sketchbook pro - trying to practice both my linework and rendering of material textures. Starting with glossy stuff at first as you can tell!

post-30671-1244680467.jpg

Guest lokilabs

Seems to me we could all try to eliminate from our minds what the obvious design of a coffee maker should be. Ask yourselves do they all have to look the same except for some change in form. It would be cool to push this idea even further. Look at the problems associated with current designs, look at the interaction and what making coffee really means to people, and build on the positives like the smell floating through your flat. I love that smell. Make it a thing of beauty.

Guest Ling Ling
Seems to me we could all try to eliminate from our minds what the obvious design of a coffee maker should be. Ask yourselves do they all have to look the same except for some change in form. It would be cool to push this idea even further. Look at the problems associated with current designs, look at the interaction and what making coffee really means to people, and build on the positives like the smell floating through your flat. I love that smell. Make it a thing of beauty.

Hmmm very true! To really come up with something new we have to go back to basics, try free-association, imagine you've never seen a coffee maker before...

What does coffee mean to me? Absolutely essential to function in the morning! Need coffee...

So... here's my napkin sketch - a bright red, round shape - first thing i see in the morning (even without glasses) :blink:post-31309-1245224028.jpg

lokilabs, perhaps you could throw down a sketch and add to the collection of images? I agree with you but talk is cheap.

Ling ling, that totally looks like a...............well, uh................nevermind.

Guest backpockeTed

Finally found some time to post on this site.

This is my attempt done in sbp- I was thinking the water chamber could be easily detachable for convenience reasons.

post-27193-1245393451.jpg

Guest harnatc

My first post on the forums. Seems like a good place to sharpen skills. Let me know what you think.

post-31321-1245697407.jpg

post-31321-1245697418.jpg

Guest lokilabs
lokilabs, perhaps you could throw down a sketch and add to the collection of images? I agree with you but talk is cheap.

Ling ling, that totally looks like a...............well, uh................nevermind.

True true, i did a quick napkin sketch but dont think it is quite what I had in mind. Let me think on it some more.

Guest choppe3

Ok so bear with me, I'm an engineer working in product development. I'm currently working my way through a sketching book (started yesterday) But I'm getting more and more into the design side of things. So with that disclaimer, he's my attempt at a coffee maker.

The idea is it sits in the corner, and fills one cup at a time with a reservoir. for the next cup. Beans are dumped in the top right and grinds come out the top left. You bring the water over by filling up the removable reservoirs on each side. The bottom is removable for cleaning and/or larger cups.

Feedback and direction on sketching skills is much appreciated.

post-31663-1247150668.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.